Author Topic: Pouring a slab  (Read 5588 times)

Offline Heiny57

Re: Pouring a slab
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 04:22:51 PM »
I shouldn’t have said “bead” water, because it won’t do that but does it slow liquid absorption so spills could be cleaned up easier? Did it minimize dusting? Tractor Supply does it to its new buildings to make maintenance easier.
How thick of a slab does TSC have for their stores? That would definitely be the upper end of anything I’d consider for a shop floor. I must consider the possibility that a forklift might be used in the shop someday.

The sales floor and office/restrooms concrete is 4 inches. The stock room area in the back where the forklift runs is 5 inches. It is poured on top of 4 inches of gravel/ stone drainable fill. And all that will be placed on structural fill compacted to 98 percent of an approved proctor sample. 

The last 2 things I mentioned are more important than the concrete itself. If you have a weak base, whatever you put on it will fail.   Not if, but when.
The exterior heavy concrete paving that fronts the dumpsters and the loading dock areas are 6 inch concrete with heavy wire mesh. The base stone underneath is 6-8 inches deep. Once again the base under it gives the concrete something good to sit on.
If you have a good compacted pad to place some stone on then 4 inch 4000 pound Crete with wire should work. I would deepen 3 Ft by 3ft at the posts down to maybe 8 inches.  I would email some lift manufacturers to see what they say, but that is what I read a few years ack when I was looking.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.