Author Topic: Cordless Lawn Tools  (Read 441 times)

Offline highland512

Cordless Lawn Tools
« on: March 26, 2024, 09:54:43 AM »
Does anybody here have any cordless lawn tools? Whats your thoughts on them? Do they have the power of 2 cycle? How long would a 4ah battery run a string trimmer?
My boy wants to start helping with the lawn care and string trimming and blowing seems like a good place for him to start. I was eye balling the craftsman v20 line at lowes over the weekend, the Model #CMCST900D1 has an adjustable shaft length which would work well with a little helper that will be getting taller every day. 

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Cordless Lawn Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 03:41:22 PM »
I have a 5 year old B&D 18v max that is a great tool, not as powerful as gas but the line just about last forever.

I'd imagine that the more expensive stuff is even better .
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 05:27:29 PM »
I bought the ex an Ego blower some years back. 58volt IIRC. I was damned impressed with that thing.

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 08:22:53 PM »
I have had an 18V leaf blower and a 40V string trimmer, both Ryobi, for about 5 years. I bought them when we were still living on our 1/3 acre property in GA not knowing what property we might have when we moved to SC. I was pleasantly surprised that both devices handle my 3/4 acre easily. After 5 years, the 18V 4ah battery for the blower occasionally starts to lose steam just as I'm finishing up. As far as run time, I have never actually checked it but I usually spend about an hour trimming and blowing.

Lou Manglass

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 08:30:23 PM »
P.S. I forgot to comment about power. The string trimmer handles .080" or .095" string easily and they both seem to be the equal of just about any gas powered device I've ever owned. The exceptions would be the 4 cycle string trimmer and the backpack blower. I have owned the entire evolution of these appliances starting with the corded versions that weren't very powerful at all.

Lou

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 07:25:19 AM »
Have a Milwaukee string trimmer.  Came with a 9AH battery.  Plenty for our .6 acre.  Have a 2.75 acre with fence.  Had to buy a 12 AH battery and between the 2, my wife can about get it done.  Plenty of power.

Blowers, I have 2.  One is an 80 volt Works and it blows well.  Battery life is good for 3 times or 4 of blowing off the driveway which my wife covers with grass :D

Other is an 18 volt Ryobi that is adequate.

4ah battery may be a little light for a trimmer but fine for blower I would think

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 09:12:45 AM »
i have a 20v dewalt string trimmer and blower. neither my gas powered blower or trimmer have run since.

both are good tools but the string trimmer is just so conveniant.  quiet, light and no fooling. walk from tree to tree to post to garage only squeezing the trigger when you need it.  no more fooling with starting or stopping it.

no it is not a brush cutter but i consider a trimmer and brush cutter different tools.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 06:04:40 AM »
i have a 20v dewalt string trimmer and blower. neither my gas powered blower or trimmer have run since.

both are good tools but the string trimmer is just so conveniant.  quiet, light and no fooling. walk from tree to tree to post to garage only squeezing the trigger when you need it.  no more fooling with starting or stopping it.

no it is not a brush cutter but i consider a trimmer and brush cutter different tools.

Thanks for the imput, I think I going to do it. What ah battery do you run?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 08:33:36 AM »
usually 5ah but i have run the compact 3ah for short runs.

my model has the 2 speed option that is really nice for trimming around sensitive areas and also extends batttery life.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 12:09:58 PM »
I have had an 18V leaf blower and a 40V string trimmer, both Ryobi, for about 5 years. I bought them when we were still living on our 1/3 acre property in GA not knowing what property we might have when we moved to SC. I was pleasantly surprised that both devices handle my 3/4 acre easily. After 5 years, the 18V 4ah battery for the blower occasionally starts to lose steam just as I'm finishing up. As far as run time, I have never actually checked it but I usually spend about an hour trimming and blowing.

Lou Manglass
The good thing about Ryobi is that their battery platform doesn't change, so you can go to HD and get a new battery.
You can go 4Ah or even 6Ah in the 18v, I'll bet the 6Ah gets you quite a bit of trimming.

Come to think of it my B&D batteries are going out ( the trimmer & blower set was only $75  ) so I'll probably look into getting a Ryobi trimmer.
Always lookin' to learn

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2024, 09:42:04 PM »
hickory n Steel,

I went with the Ryobi blower because I already had a significant investment in their 18V batteries. The 40V string trimmer happened because it had the detachable head and I already had a hedge trimmer and edger to fit. I also kept the old string trimmer head. When I run out of string, I just swap heads and keep going. I'll replenish the string after I'm done.

Lou

Offline walrus

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 06:12:22 AM »
I've thought about Milwaukee push mower but the 1100 bucks stops me. The older I've gotten the more I hate small engines  :D I have a 18v Milwaukee leaf blower, works good but my Husky gas powered back pack blower is needed when doing fall cleanup. Think I  might get Milwaukee string trimmer. I already have Echo brush cutter but not great for string trimmer as its pretty heavy.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 05:13:51 PM »

Thanks for the imput, I think I going to do it. What ah battery do you run?

Keeping an open mind decided to lookup string trimmers, trimmer courious.  STIHL, the source referenced, found this little nugget.

All from the lowest to highest price & power the tool had one common thread ........ 25 min run time. Basically indicating  recharging the battery pack, after every use should be considered.

One other thing I dislike about electric, charges & batteries taking up bench space. 5gl can of fuel sits on the floor in a corned nicely.
 :-*

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 09:08:00 AM »
My whole problem circles around the cost and longevity of the battery. The 2 cycle stuff requires a carb kit now and a gain, about $20 with shipping and some of my "free" labor. The batteries for the dewalt and then the milwaukee drill driver stuff has relegated these to the attic. I've watched the vids on cell replacement but even the cells seemed like a lot when figuring the "free" labor in and I just bought a new setup of drill and driver.
I guess the power could be comparable but the trimmer, little tiller and blower all have the same carb so I keep the gaskets on hand. No charging just some new mix in the gallon can in the spring and I'm good for the summer.
I guess if i couldn't work on the 2 stroke stuff the battery stuff is a great leap forward. Ease of use sure seems like it is much easier on the battery stuff. Just need enough batteries to rotate em and keep at least one charged while other(s) get charged.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 01:53:40 PM »
My whole problem circles around the cost and longevity of the battery. The 2 cycle stuff requires a carb kit now and a gain, about $20 with shipping and some of my "free" labor. The batteries for the dewalt and then the milwaukee drill driver stuff has relegated these to the attic. I've watched the vids on cell replacement but even the cells seemed like a lot when figuring the "free" labor in and I just bought a new setup of drill and driver.
I guess the power could be comparable but the trimmer, little tiller and blower all have the same carb so I keep the gaskets on hand. No charging just some new mix in the gallon can in the spring and I'm good for the summer.
I guess if i couldn't work on the 2 stroke stuff the battery stuff is a great leap forward. Ease of use sure seems like it is much easier on the battery stuff. Just need enough batteries to rotate em and keep at least one charged while other(s) get charged.
That's why you buy into whatever battery platform you're already using,  at least with stuff like a string trimmer and blower anyways.
With certain things I'm sure larger battery platforms would be more ideal.
Always lookin' to learn