Author Topic: Cadillac will introduce a new DOHC 4.2L V8 Twin Turbo engine for 2019 -- WOW!!  (Read 24517 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
GM finally gave its Cadillac division permission to engineer a new engine. I love the Northstar, but after it went away in 2011/2012 the company had to rely mostly on the GM 3.6L V6 and the SBC V8 --= not exactly technological innovation for GM's premier luxury brand.

This looks like a game changer. I'm a firm believer that they should have stuck with the Northstar 4.6L DOHC motor because for all its early faults with oil leaks and head gasket problems, by 2010 they had pretty much solved all those problems.

Nice to see Caddy get a high tech engine to compete against the Euros and Asians -- In many ways it is much like the Northstar --

https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/cadillac/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/mar/0321-twin-turbo-v8.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:28:14 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

Man, I'm glad I don't have to work on one. look at all the crap on top of the motor.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Man, I'm glad I don't have to work on one. look at all the crap on top of the motor.

That's a fact. Look at where the AC compressor is buried.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

^^^^X3.

Offline walrus

I'll bet that thing cranks but you can have it. I'll take a 5.7 liter from 97  :))

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
It would be wonderful as long as you didn't have to work on it!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
I foresee many problems. Mainly from techs making bloopers trying to get to components. Looks like a lot of potential for heat related failures.
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
I foresee many problems. Mainly from techs making bloopers trying to get to components. Looks like a lot of potential for heat related failures.

Interesting post Rusty!!! -- I thought the same thing when I saw the configuration and the write-up of the technology --

Quote from the Cadillac write-up:

".....At the center of the 4.2L Twin Turbo V-8 is a “hot V” configuration that transposes the conventional layout of the cylinder heads’ intake and exhaust systems to mount the turbochargers at the top of the engine — in the valley between the heads — to virtually eliminate turbo lag and reduce the engine’s overall packaging size."

Offline brslk

That would make the old Miata fly!

Offline bonneyman

That kinda sounds like "I love nuclear energy so long as the power plant isn't in my neighborhood"!  ;)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator

That kinda sounds like "I love nuclear energy so long as the power plant isn't in my neighborhood"!  ;)

In the case of the residents of San Clemente, California (where the San Onofre nuclear power plant is located) they may have been right.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator

I am not anxious to own a car with an engine so technologically advanced I can only open the hood and look down upon an engine I can do nothing to fix or maintain. I would prefer instead any make or model of vehicle I can relate to mechanically; if that comes at the expense of style or gas mileage I totally good with that too.

In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "A man has to know his limitations"  ;)
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline john k

A lot crammed into a small space, which is usual at this time.  Am surprised the AC compressor is belt driven,  thought it would be run by electric motor as the PS pump is on a lot of vehicles.  Also glad I'll never have to work on one.  In a transverse mount for FWD, looks like a nightmare. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator

I am not anxious to own a car with an engine so technologically advanced I can only open the hood and look down upon an engine I can do nothing to fix or maintain. I would prefer instead any make or model of vehicle I can relate to mechanically; if that comes at the expense of style or gas mileage I totally good with that too.

In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "A man has to know his limitations"  ;)

With you on that I want to get my hands on it and do things for myself. But the sad reality is it's likely a preview of coming attractions. At least for the near future. Stuff in luxury cars usually filters down and with self driving and driver assist it's only going to be packing more in.

I believe all my future cars have already been built.

Offline slip knot

I've already consigned myself to taking the DD in for repairs. The days of me working on them is quickly fading away. I will keep the toys but with the crappy replacement parts we get nowdays it getting harder and harder to keep the toys reliable. and reliability is what I'm after.