Author Topic: Probably one of the best duos in US motor sports history.  (Read 213 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Probably one of the best duos in US motor sports history.
« on: March 11, 2024, 09:04:24 AM »
I was a fan of late 60's and 70's drag racing, and always enjoyed the crazy antics of the racers at that time. We all know "the Snake", "the Mongoose", "Big Daddy", "Grumpy", "Sneaky Pete", and many more. BUT not many stood out like Jim Liberman "Jungle Jim" and Pam Hardy "Jungle Pam". Between Jim's over-the-top style and ego and Pam's obvious assets, they were a force of nature in Funny Car racing.

Sadly Jim passed away before his time in a traffic accident, but while he was alive, drag racing was absolutely fun!

Offline bonneyman

Re: Probably one of the best duos in US motor sports history.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 07:28:54 PM »
I was thinking Chevy and V-8, but, my mind sometimes goes to weird places! :))

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 08:28:38 PM »
Jungle held on to big block Chevys for longer than most. He used to make a big effort to attend every Englishtown funny car show where I saw him a number of times. I witnessed a record run one evening; I think he was the first funny to run under 7.00 seconds at Englishtown.

Pam Hardy is still around, makes the occasional public appearance or interview. She used to show up on a couple of forums a few years ago until a few of her "fans" creeped her out. There's a pretty good Motor Trend article from, I think, 2013. Just search Jungle Pam Hardy.

Lou Manglass

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 09:18:54 PM »
Jungle held on to big block Chevys for longer than most. He used to make a big effort to attend every Englishtown funny car show where I saw him a number of times. I witnessed a record run one evening; I think he was the first funny to run under 7.00 seconds at Englishtown.

Pam Hardy is still around, makes the occasional public appearance or interview. She used to show up on a couple of forums a few years ago until a few of her "fans" creeped her out. There's a pretty good Motor Trend article from, I think, 2013. Just search Jungle Pam Hardy.

Lou Manglass

He was something -- that's for sure. Glad to hear that Pam hardy is still around. I know she was married a few times and finally found the right guy. I'm sure it wasn't easy for her after Jim passed away when he crashed his Corvette. She was part of a great team and once the team dissolves, it's often quite rough to regain a footing and your own identity. I hope she did well in life.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 09:32:43 PM »
This was a pretty interesting series that was ran a few years ago.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 10:23:34 PM »
she sure had some good attributes and knew how to fill out a sweater followed up with a mean pair of cutoff shorts.

i also understand  she was drag racer icon because of them. i have just never gotten over the fact that today she would be labeled a butterface. she isn't ugly but there is a lot of her parts that look good butterface. i keep looking for the adams apple under that square jaw.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!