Author Topic: DELTA 8" VARIABLE SPEED GRINDER  (Read 11519 times)

Offline Conductor562

Re: DELTA 8" VARIABLE SPEED GRINDER
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »
I don’t know why we don’t see more variable speed grinders.

What is the variable speed good for? It looks like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Sharpening is the most obvious answer. I don’t really do much sharpening with my bench grinder, but I have mine set up with a wire wheel on 1 side. Trying to wire wheel smaller or irregular shaped items would be a lot easier with a speed slower than the standard 3,500 rpm or whatever it is. The speed setting just adds a little versatility IMO.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »
I have a 6" grinder set up with a knotted or twisted wire wheel and a stone for rougher work. I took off the outer wheel cover for the wire wheel to get better access for cleaning things up. I'll be sharpening things with this new one. I would like to see how well this grinder works sharpening chisels at a slower speed.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
My former boss, the troll, who has the patience of a dope addict two days out cooking up a fix sharpens his chisels on the grinder. If there was a textbook of how not to do it watching him would be a graduate course. He just jams them into the wheel throwing sparks for a while and if they turn blue he pays no mind. If they turn red no matter. The bevels are a mess and there is no discernible edge. In use he gets frustrated because "these junk chisels won't hold an edge I just sharpened them" and he ends up using a flat blade screwdriver as a chisel. His woodworking results are about the same as his sharpening until he randomly proclaims the work "good enough".
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
I would love to use a grinder to sharpen chisels but I'm not good enough. I do it by hand with stones and a hone. A slower speed wheel might help and I'd love to try it - hand sharpening takes (me anyways) a long time.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 03:56:05 PM »
My late FIL had one of those horrible freight grinder sharpeners brand new in a box that I inherited. I figured it would be somewhat crappy but was pleasantly surprised at how well it sharpens. the big 10ish in wheel runs off a really crude 90box and has a water tray. Final rpms @150ish. no heat buildup and the stone is actually pretty hard. Crappiest part is there is no guide on the big stone, freehand only.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 05:50:14 PM »
I would love to use a grinder to sharpen chisels but I'm not good enough. I do it by hand with stones and a hone. A slower speed wheel might help and I'd love to try it - hand sharpening takes (me anyways) a long time.

I sharpen chisels often with my bench grinder.  The trick is a light touch to the side of the stone keeping parallel and square at the correct angle all at the same time.  Grind a little, inspect, adjust angle as needed, flip over and repeat.  Little at a time with a close eye will yield good results.  Flip often and go slow and light.  Really doesn't generate a ton of heat.

Took me a while to get the hang of it, but they come out looking great with 0 signs of heat. 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 06:22:46 PM »
It's funny I used to be able to sharpen drill bits on a grinder but never got decent results with a chisel. I can no longer sharpen drill bits guess the eyes aren't what they used to be.

That said when I take the time to sharpen the chisels I like to get them really sharp. I'd like to say it's a Zen like thing or I get into or I find a zone but none of that happens. It's not something I particularly enjoy but I do like having chisels that are scary sharp.

On a related note on drill bits, my former boss, the troll, got a Drill Dr. He is incapable of reading directions (or as he calls them DIE-wreck-shons) since he's functionally illiterate and needs to sound out words out loud. Not all words just big complicated ones with two or more letters. He doesn't have the patience to sit through the video either but in typical ego driven fashion he just proceeds to sharpen them. It's really amazing how fast he can take 20 or 30 bits and reduce them to 1 1/2 or 2" stubs with no cutting ability at all.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 06:59:21 PM »
I sharpen chisels often with my bench grinder.  The trick is a light touch to the side of the stone keeping parallel and square at the correct angle all at the same time.  Grind a little, inspect, adjust angle as needed, flip over and repeat.  Little at a time with a close eye will yield good results.  Flip often and go slow and light.  Really doesn't generate a ton of heat.

Took me a while to get the hang of it, but they come out looking great with 0 signs of heat.

I guess you're talking metal cutting chisels. They're easy to sharpen with a bench grinder. Just take your time and dunk them in a cup of water when you feel them getting warm.

J.A.F.E. appears to be talking about wood chisels. They're real easy to screw up with a bench grinder. To be honest woodworking never occurred to me when I questioned the usefulness of variable speed earlier in the thread. And I'm still not convinced. An 8" wheel at  ~1,700 rpm, on the low end of that grinders range, isn't that much lower SFM than a 6" at 3,500.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:01:10 PM by Matt_T »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
Matt_T I am speaking of wood chisels.

Metal chisels no problem on the grinder although a slower speed would be a bit better for me.

I am sorry for the confusion.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 09:12:55 PM »
J.A.F.E.

No apology needed. It was pretty obvious you were talking about wood chisels. To everyone except Phil :))

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 08:31:40 AM »
J.A.F.E.

No apology needed. It was pretty obvious you were talking about wood chisels. To everyone except Phil :))

Hey now :-[  And yes I was talking cold chisels.  I will dress up wood chisels on the bench grinder also, again light touch and go slow.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:55:14 PM by fatfillup »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »
This tool rest, and mounting look the same ?

@Matt_T
Variable speed tools such as this, offer a great deal of options for an owner. I also have V-speed 5'' angle grinder.

Grinders or Belt grinders, do not need to run at lighting speeds to preform well.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:26:27 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline ken w.

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
I am going to assume that's what the tool rest looks like. My grinder has none. What is the model # of yours ? I'll see if sears still sells them.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 04:38:34 PM »
Here  this should be all you need Model 152.211620,

Part list and pictures PDF
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline ken w.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 07:43:18 PM »
Thanks , but also discontinued .