Author Topic: Accountability  (Read 1298 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Accountability
« on: August 26, 2023, 03:03:30 PM »

Yesterday at a few minutes past midnight the local Civil Defense Sirens went off. It lasted ten minutes, paused two minutes then blasted another ten minutes or more. This went on for nearly two hours. I checked outside and it was almost deadly calm. Except of a faint sound of thunder along with flashes of lightening from far away. Now I have lived in NorthEast Ohio all my life. And in this community for over fifty years. This has NEVER happened before other than the testing of the sirens once a month. Not knowing what going down. Were we being attacked by the Russians, maybe China, or a tornado? I rushed my wife and dog to the basement. Where we spent the night. Nothing happened but a slight rain shower. Contrary this past April a tornado was spotted in our county. The massive wind blew down eight Trees on my property alone. One knocking a power line. And no power for the next week.. Low and behold no siren were heard! What's the story?

Early this month, Hawaii experienced wild fires that killed well over a 100 people. There were stories that some folks jumped into the ocean to get away from being killed by the flames. Only to parish in the sea. Even though there were sirens,, the person who was responsible to sound them didn't pull the switch. His name is Herman Andaya,, and his title was The Emergency Alert Chief. Who quits days after his debacle. Now I'm thinking he took accountability for his actions. Now that's a novelty. But it turned out Herman had no prior experience in emergency management, and cited "health reasons" for resigning. Here I thought one government employee took responsibility for his actions. Rather than having any job experience, he just needed to have some box checked!   

Anyhow back to Ohio. The local Fire Department is responsible for sounding the Sirens. I have to wonder was he being overly cautious. And didn't want to loose his job and or resign in disgrace.. In any event I think he made the right move.. If he didn't sound the sirens. I would have gone to sleep and woke in the morning refreshed..

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Accountability
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 12:42:32 AM »
First off, Mods feel free to move this to Politics because that's where it's going.

At work this week, my boss was discussing the Maui fires and basically regurgitating the "this happened because of climate change" narrative that's prevalent in the news media.  Which is a load of bullshit.  It happened because of a lot of factors, not least of which there was plenty of grasslands to burn, and governmental incompetence.  There was no plan in place to deal with a situation like this, and to make matters worse, some of the roads that would've led out of there had barriers put up.  And the policies in place that didn't address these grasslands being the perfect tinderbox for an out of control wildfire.

Now I'm sure there's a lot of people who have been following the situation much closer than me and could speak to it better, so I'll just say this.  Blaming climate change for everything to cover up government mismanagement, if not downright incompetence and responsibility for people losing their lives is extremely chilling.
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 12:07:30 PM »
I didn't start this thread with a political statement in mind. If the power's to be feel that it's going in that direction So be it,, move it to another section. Or for that matter simply delete my thoughts.. The OldCarGuy Just Saying...

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 01:22:42 PM »
I've worked in the municipal government world for the past 30 years. I still have 8 more to go, so I wont tell you what I've seen. I want to stay employed. But you would be stunned by what goes on everyday behind the scenes. Nationally we haven't done anything in infrastructure or wages in 40 years. My maintenance salaries are just $1 more than McD's. :41: :41:

Re: Maui, Just how the F*** does an island FD run out of water?

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 03:11:32 PM »
I've worked in the municipal government world for the past 30 years. I still have 8 more to go, so I wont tell you what I've seen. I want to stay employed. But you would be stunned by what goes on everyday behind the scenes. Nationally we haven't done anything in infrastructure or wages in 40 years. My maintenance salaries are just $1 more than McD's. :41: :41:

We haven't done anything about infrastructure or wages as higher taxes are seen as an extremely bad thing. As a politician why would you want the lose the next election by raising taxes?? Its crazy to think our society needs things to get done but we keep voting for people who kick the can down the road.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 05:47:49 PM »

Rich

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 07:57:00 PM »

We haven't done anything about infrastructure or wages as higher taxes are seen as an extremely bad thing. As a politician why would you want the lose the next election by raising taxes?? Its crazy to think our society needs things to get done but we keep voting for people who kick the can down the road.

Absolutely.  And we spend money on so many things that have absolutely nothing to do with maintenance and upgrade of infrastructure.  We should be making sure those things are being taken care of first because they're for the benefit of everyone.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 10:57:59 AM »
As to the sirens, could have been a malfunction, a wild night of partying at the fire house, orders from headquarters etc.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 08:53:38 PM »
As to the sirens, could have been a malfunction, a wild night of partying at the fire house, orders from headquarters etc.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 07:32:11 AM »
Damn -  talk about "bed head" hair! This guy probably is an alien.  -  ;)

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 09:48:10 AM »

Haha, he has made a pretty good brand for himself with that hair and alien schtick.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 10:11:52 AM »
 ;)

Haha, he has made a pretty good brand for himself with that hair and alien schtick.

Never seen/ heard of this guy before Phil, so excuse my ignorance. Is he a personality of some sort? I thought the History Channel icon was a joke ---

I hardly ever watch TV; hence I'm probably way out of the loop.

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2023, 09:36:59 PM »
;)

Never seen/ heard of this guy before Phil, so excuse my ignorance. Is he a personality of some sort? I thought the History Channel icon was a joke ---

I hardly ever watch TV; hence I'm probably way out of the loop.
He is a joke lol. However he was a regular on "Ancient Aliens" a show where they take ancient architecture and try to prove that it was alien technology.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 01:55:07 PM »
Yep Muddy is right.  Ancient Aliens.  He likely has a presence on other shows about aliens. 

He can "prove" that aliens may be responsible for all kinds of accomplishments in the ancient world :))

Offline slip knot

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 05:31:49 PM »
Yep Muddy is right.  Ancient Aliens.  He likely has a presence on other shows about aliens. 

He can "prove" that aliens may be responsible for all kinds of accomplishments in the ancient world :))

Issac Asimov was doing that 50 years ago.