Author Topic: channellock 357xlt  (Read 2586 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
channellock 357xlt
« on: November 18, 2021, 06:06:23 PM »
like some others here, i am a sucker for the blue handles.

i picked these up today.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: channellock 357xlt
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 06:10:38 PM »
xlt stands for extreme leverage technology. the pivot pin is very close to the cutting edge for increased leverage. makes sense to me i guess.

the fit and finish seems more than adequate with made in usa, channellock  and the model number forged right into the handles. the jaws fit well with no gaps.

what's not to like?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 07:35:39 PM »
Great pliers -  and very reasonable compared to most other premium brands. Great score Harlan

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 07:52:22 PM »
they will fit well in the  blue stable of pliers. i have the much larger version and a similar sized one but these are different enough from either that i think they will come in handy.

i really like this type of nippers/end cutters for cotter pin work.  staighten the bent ends and work the loop end back and forth  with the curved jaw and even the most stubborn pins give in.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »
they will fit well in the  blue stable of pliers. i have the much larger version and a similar sized one but these are different enough from either that i think they will come in handy.

i really like this type of nippers/end cutters for cotter pin work.  staighten the bent ends and work the loop end back and forth  with the curved jaw and even the most stubborn pins give in.

Yeah, I could see how the curved front on the jaws would work well as a pivot point for stubborn cotter pins.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 03:25:12 PM »
well you answered my question of intended uses.  Never used them before.  Not good sellers like the rest of the blue handled line up. 

Can't go wrong with Channelock IMO, always great bang for the buck

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 07:15:14 PM »
ohhh another Channellock I don't need :P

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 06:11:48 AM »
I've had my 357's for about 2 years now I think,  I used the crap out of them this week and as always they were great.

If I remember correctly I got nine for about $18 at the local hardware because i had some rewards points.
I would not hesitat pay full price for another pair though,  such a great tool.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 11:35:46 AM »

Yeah, I could see how the curved front on the jaws would work well as a pivot point for stubborn cotter pins.
well you answered my question of intended uses.  Never used them before.  Not good sellers like the rest of the blue handled line up. 

Can't go wrong with Channelock IMO, always great bang for the buck
my larger end cutters are used more for fencing, pulling and cutting barbed wire and pulling staples.

the smaller ones i use more for pulling than cutting actually.  as i mentioned, cotter pins.  but they alos work great for pulling nails, especially small ones and any small , hard to grip object.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 02:34:38 PM »

The other day I was breaking down an old double sided retail book shelf shelf that was constructed with those T head finish nails.
It was mostly made of cheap ply wood so I was able to pry it apart and pull the finish nails right throgh with the 357's.
Just grip and pry, readjust and repeat till it's pulled through.
Pretty effortless to do and sure beats tapping them out some so you can get a grip and pry them out head first.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ron350

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »
SK you got me I had to pick one up @ Home Depot.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:13:30 PM by ron350 »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 04:23:06 PM »
ohhh another Channellock I don't need :P

That is a good clue for whoever gets you for Secret Santa. :lol_hitting: