Author Topic: Herbrand flaring tool--different  (Read 8284 times)

Offline coolmercury

Herbrand flaring tool--different
« on: November 03, 2018, 04:19:43 PM »
This was in my junk box until I came up with a wing nut and a clamp.  It is a Herbrand No. 450 and is cv.  In the first picture note the small triangle at the right end.  In the second picture note that there is a cutting wheel internal to use to cut tubing.  I have not seen this before, but I'm sure others have.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Herbrand flaring tool--different
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
Been using flaring blocks for years dude and I've never seen one with a built-in tubing cutter. Cool!

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 09:23:09 PM »
Neato!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:54:59 AM »
Very good engineering process for the time era! 8)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »
The more that I think about it, I might just take one of my spare flaring block and mod it to fit a cutting wheel and make a tool like this.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 10:34:17 PM »
What is your guys' opinion of the Spin-It flaring tool that uses the drill to work the tube end out? I don't do much flared copper tubing and was looking at it for a traditional tool substitute for making fuel lines and such.

Greyson

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »
What is your guys' opinion of the Spin-It flaring tool that uses the drill to work the tube end out? I don't do much flared copper tubing and was looking at it for a traditional tool substitute for making fuel lines and such.

Greyson

Not a very technical explanation. The guy seems like he's not comfortable in front of the camera.

If you had to do a hundred flare connections it might be worth something. For the two or three that I'd normally do it wouldn't be worth it. Especially some of the cheaper copper tubing I've run across the past few years.

Now gt would it work on gas lines? Aren't they stainless steel? I'm thinking 2000 rpm with a steel bit against steel tubing is going to have issues. Haven't done car tubing, but flaring anything other than copper in my experience has been totally different.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »
I just looked it up and apparently I've built about 50 rolling fire balls because the the mighty interwebs says copper for gasoline lines is a no-no. I haven't seen a problem even on high vibration equipment. I usually use compression fittings with the wedding ring or swagelok fittings. I guess scratch the question about the spin tool. lol

Greyson

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »
I have had a lot of flaring tools pass through my hands and have not seen the built in tubing cutter either