Author Topic: Vintage Black & Decker --  (Read 9542 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Vintage Black & Decker --
« on: August 19, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
Some "old timers" from a few decades ago/ Mostly late 60's up until late 70's vintage --

1/4" drill that I gave my dad for his B-day -- nothing fancy and it's beat to crap, but still works.

Sander/Grinder

Vibrating pad sander -

Early 60's 1/2" drill -- lots of torque, heavy, and built to a standard we'll never see again in our lifetimes.

I still own my first circular saw -- it was homeowner grade, but a metal casting and it has lasted all these years. Paid $19 for it new back in the day.

3/8" drill kit -- my first real kit. Single speed, but it had a lot of accessories. You could even get a small circular saw attachment at the time, but I never saw it in use -- just pictures in the catalog.

Late 60's Saber saw in the original case --

.... and the most coveted item I have is this valve refacing machine that was super expensive at the time, but I managed to grab this almost new model about ten years ago from a garage that was closing.

Found this at a yard sale for a few $$ - the bar was locked up with gunk, but a quick soak and cleaning in the partswasher put it back in shape.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 05:37:38 PM by goodfellow »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Vintage Black & Decker --
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:38:38 PM »
I had that same drill you gave to your dad. That was when a lot of these tools came with those short cords. The story I heard was someone cut or drilled through the cord and got shocked and sued so the manufacturers made a cord so short you couldn't do that to and if you did that to an extension cord it wasn't their problem. Not sure if that's true or not but it made a good story.

I also had that same obnoxiously orange circular saw. It was a decent enough tool for a low end saw and I had it for many years. Someone broke into a cabinet I had it in and stole it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 09:50:21 PM »
I think I have that same saw but its marked Skil.

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
Nice stuff.   That valve refacer, looks a lot like a Sioux, been awhile since I used one.  Amazing how this stuff just keeps working. 

Offline 1mech

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 12:47:41 AM »
I have an even older valve grinder, I think it is a Black & Decker, belt driven, had to use a vacuum cleaner brush belt on it.
I will try to post some pics of it, when I get another camera to replace the camera that was recently stolen by some low life!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 12:31:49 PM »
I just picked up the sander for $5 on the 127 sale.  It's really nice and impressive quality.

I think the B & D jigsaw was my dad's or grandpa's, it was in my parent's basement.

I picked up the Craftsman a few years ago for $15.
boop/bop/beep

Offline DMR

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »
Heres some real vintage Black & Decker tools

Offline AnsonJ

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 02:18:25 AM »
Goodfellow,

I have two B&D Jigsaws of the same vintage of the drill in your first pic.  one is a 2 speed and one is a single speed. They both look like the second picture in Lookn4's reply.  both are great saws, One was my grandpas and the other Dad gave to me

Anson
"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 07:30:29 AM »
Goodfellow,

I have two B&D Jigsaws of the same vintage of the drill in your first pic.  one is a 2 speed and one is a single speed. They both look like the second picture in Lookn4's reply.  both are great saws, One was my grandpas and the other Dad gave to me

Anson

Great find Anson. These budget B&D saws, along with Craftsman, were a staple in Harry Homeowner basement shops at one time. They weren't professional quality, but sure lasted through the years. Amazingly, they are very collectible -- and still cheap enough to buy for a few $$ at yard sales.