Author Topic: a 15 dollar ginder?  (Read 11687 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
a 15 dollar ginder?
« on: November 18, 2018, 06:17:35 PM »
took a pawn shop  chance on this one a couple weeks back. it looked rough and needed wheels but had a new cord. hell a cord is 10 bucks.

it is a 6 inch ram. i don't believe this is a top shelf ginder as when i took it apart there are no bearings in it. it has oil-lite bushings about 1 1/4 inches wide with felt seals on each side of it. it ran a little loud so i pulled the bushings. put a little high temp grease on them and oiled the felt.  put it back together  and slapped a rattle can paint job on it. it runs pretty darn smooth and quiet now.

it looks weird but it is pretty usable despite the odd shape and design.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 06:19:17 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline kwoswalt99

Re: a 15 dollar ginder?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 06:25:17 PM »
I had one but I ditched it because of the bronze bushings.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 06:46:57 PM »
Judging my the Chicago address, that thing must be at least 60 years old. It's in pretty good shape for being such an old-timer. I wouldn't let the fact that it doesn't have BBs be a worry. Oil-Lite bushes were at one time the norm for non-industrial equipment.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 06:52:38 PM »
What high temp grease did you use SK?

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 07:08:28 PM »
I think its "Cool Looking", should have listed it in the vintage electric tools. 8)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 07:23:06 PM »

nothing wrong with oil-lite bushings. if maintained the are very good and are actually pretty durable.  the oil-lite actually "holds" lubricant in its porous makeup. many turning lathes have and equipment use it and with proper care it last a lifetime. sadly,  with neglect it doesn't hold up. i am positive this ram grinder saw little real use but if it needed bushings i know it would be scrap iron. i was surprised that under all of that iron the  windings and armature were rather small. it does have another  interesting feature. unlike most grinders i t has a fan that pulls air from under the back of one side of the grinder, through a fan and the windings and out the other side of the back of the ginder.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 07:33:57 PM »
Good move buying that grinder. I would have done the same for the right money.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 07:34:07 PM »

nothing wrong with oil-lite bushings. if maintained the are very good and are actually pretty durable.  the oil-lite actually "holds" lubricant in its porous makeup. many turning lathes have and equipment use it and with proper care it last a lifetime. sadly,  with neglect it doesn't hold up. i am positive this ram grinder saw little real use but if it needed bushings i know it would be scrap iron. i was surprised that under all of that iron the  windings and armature were rather small. it does have another  interesting feature. unlike most grinders i t has a fan that pulls air from under the back of one side of the grinder, through a fan and the windings and out the other side of the back of the ginder.

The bushings in mine were worn out and made it impossible to balance a grinding wheel, the only thing I could put on it was wire wheels.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 07:40:06 PM »
You can buy bushings at McMaster Carr if the need arises.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
You can buy bushings at McMaster Carr if the need arises.
i would be surprised if they had these. the bushings slide into the housing on each side and are held in place by a collar. they actually have a round globe shape with a rim on each side. almost like a self centering bearing. like i said before this thing is an odd duck!  :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
Looks like a solid grinder!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »
Nice find Farmer.

I am sure it would have followed me home - even though it's not a Block grinder.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 10:14:34 AM »
That was worth $15 and as far as the bushings, since when are they a problem when you have a lathe? ;D

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 07:34:08 PM »
Very cool!!  As far as Oil-lite bushings, we use them on some of the manufacturing machines at work.

Scott

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 01:11:37 AM »
SK,

That's a great old grinder.  And, it's got some kick-ass tool rests-- stout & well designed.

One of my grinders is chineeezzz cheepo.  The grinder itself is ok, but the tool rests are worthless; flimsy, too small, and not even square to the stones.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »
an old thread popped up at the jornal. looks like this same grinder was also tagged as a cummins. i wonder who actually made it?

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »
an old thread popped up at the jornal. looks like this same grinder was also tagged as a cummins. i wonder who actually made it?

Portable electric tool co iirc.