Author Topic: New Gas Ax  (Read 3674 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
New Gas Ax
« on: January 11, 2019, 12:15:15 AM »
Picked up this nearly unused Concoa (AIRCO) dedicated cutting torch the other day for a fraction of what Victors go for. Very elegant design and great hand feel. It has a 75 deg head which gives a little more hand clearance and makes beveling plate a snap. I prefer a dedicated cutter to the Journeyman standby for a lot of work. Less awkward in the hand. Plus the 3rd oxy tube flows better at lower pressure and it's easier to dial in a perfect flame.

Spent more (almost double!) on an assortment of tips than the torch cost. I have some scarfers and rivet washing tips coming as well. Can't have too many good tips, and protect them like your life. Nothing worse than a buggered tip when you're on a cut that counts.

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: New Gas Ax
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:19:51 AM »
Nice! -- with plasma dominating the market, these things are getting fairly cheap. Even Oxy-Propane stuff is getting reasonable again. Well done Greyson.

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:54:13 AM »
Picked up this nearly unused Concoa (AIRCO) dedicated cutting torch the other day for a fraction of what Victors go for. Very elegant design and great hand feel. It has a 75 deg head which gives a little more hand clearance and makes beveling plate a snap. I prefer a dedicated cutter to the Journeyman standby for a lot of work. Less awkward in the hand. Plus the 3rd oxy tube flows better at lower pressure and it's easier to dial in a perfect flame.

I have one almost identical to this unit labeled Harris, it is a great feeling unit!!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:04:39 PM »
Harris must have changed their styles then. I swapped my 40 y/o Harris setup (bought new) for a Victor after picking up all the parts over time (except the regs). The Victor parts are all near new.

Cant beat O/A for heating things up in a hurry.  ;)

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:38:10 PM »
Nice torch Greyson. A torch that is balanced well and feels good in the hand is a must for beveling plate or long cuts.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 08:38:50 PM »
Nice smoke wrench, I picked up this old Victor sp 1200 a while ago and had it rebuilt.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:19:21 PM »
Some of those older OA torches are works of art. I've got an older Smiths that I keep limping along.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 12:25:41 AM »
Plasmas are nice, but for over 3/4", a torch is quite practical.

I wanted a Victor like yours Jab, but the deal on this AIRCO made the decision for me. I have a happy mix of the two brands so no big deal. I didn't want one of these Victor knock-offs FlameTech is pushing hard.

Smiths are many peoples favorites, and the only USA I don't care for is the OXWELD. I don't think there's a true loser in the bunch.

Greyson