Author Topic: I'll admit it...  (Read 9853 times)

Offline highland512

Re: I'll admit it...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »

像H F的幸存者一样说话

Offline 34Ply

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 02:15:08 PM »
Are you buying a tool box or a name? Street Rodder magazine just had a article on air tools from HF. Nothing but good things to say. To say only a Mac or SO is the only tool box to buy in this day and age is way outdated. I've had a small Craftsman roller and top box for 30 years. It has served me well. I did buy a General 5 drawer cart to use outside and like it as much as my Craftsman. Things change every day. What was good 20 years ago could have a equal now. I noticed a lot of talk about Tekton wrenches now that wasn't talked about a year ago. We've basically lost Craftsman but another will take it's place.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »
Patience Grasshopper. You`ll never be able to get that china junk smell off your soul.

Confucius say " in you wait by the computer long enough , your treasures will pop up on cl".
Normally I'd agree. However for the money the US General carts are very hard to beat!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

This! Truth from the guy whose tools have to make him money.

I think the younger guys are finding out that its what you know not who's tools you use. I'm seeing a lot of different tool trucks running around here now. The Armstrong guy has 2 trucks running now! Matco has several one who comes thru and stays at a local motel for several days. Still only have one snappy truck in the area.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 04:52:07 AM »
I saw this the other day.....  Thought I was seeing things till I got home and googled it.....

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 07:36:25 AM »
That's pretty cool. I think in the right market that could do quite well.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline highland512

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »
I was in Greensboro, NC last week for work and I saw an old Snappy truck somebody had converted into a gearwrench truck. I would think you would have to sling a lot of gearwrench to pay for a truck but maybe he is. I think for younger guys like myself and new flashy box full of new flashy tools is not as important as it once was, I think people are starting to catch on to the consumer debit con with exceptions of course .

I dont make a living with my tools, but I could count on one hand how many new in the package tools I have bought. Many friends of mine from high school that went into the trades came out of school with the basic tools they where required to buy and many ran into wonderful deals on tools and boxes from guys that where retiring. Its hard to believe but I would bet many of the 20 year olds out there today I bet have never bought a single wrench from a Sears.   
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:25:12 AM by goodfellow »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 11:17:10 AM »
Nice to see! I hope he makes a good living from that business model.

Back in my day we also had an independent truck that specialized in used US and off-brand/imported (Japanese and Taiwanese) equipment at the time. That guy made his living by providing service with a capital "S". He also carried a small inventory of Craftsman tools and if you had a broken Craftsman tool he's warranty it for you on the spot and take it back to Sears himself. That was service !!!!! and he made a lot of friends and customers in the local shops.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »
.......Many friends of mine from high school that went into the trades came out of school with the basic tools they where required to buy and many ran into wonderful deals on tools and boxes from guys that where retiring. Its hard to believe but I would bet many of the 20 year olds out there today I bet have never bought a single wrench from a Sears.   

Good for you and your friends Highland!!!!! That is a true life lesson right there ... no use going into debt over tools. I see a change in the younger techs as well. They don't have the mega-boxes, and many have smaller budget boxes and tools from HF, Craftsman and Kobalt. They also don't see a need for owning SAE sizes anymore. If there is the off chance for an SAE sized tool, they get it delivered from their local auto parts supplier.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
i have been watching cl for a long time with no results. i just made a hf purchase because i needed to upgrade something. pics up soon.

I have seen CL in the Dakotas,  pickens are slim at best compared to a metro area. 

As to the used tool truck.  You have to have new mixed in there too as it would be impossible to buy enough used tools to keep a truck going.  Used tools sell well if in good condition and price well.  1/2 of retail is about where the market is.  I have a customer who is getting a truck together right now.  Will be interesting to see if he can make a go of it.  I will sell to him at a decent discount as long as the volume is there and until my inventory gets slim. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 05:51:47 PM »
.......I will sell to him at a decent discount as long as the volume is there and until my inventory gets slim. 

Given what Highland says about younger mechanics watching their dollars, it may be the right time to make some money on that inventory of yours Phil  --