Author Topic: Inexpensive GM TPMS relearn tool -  (Read 5425 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Inexpensive GM TPMS relearn tool -
« on: January 28, 2019, 10:29:38 AM »
We have mostly GM's in the family fleet, and resetting the tire monitor when rotating tires is becoming a chore. The manual way of using the key fob and deflating the tires, then waiting for the sensor to trip the horn, then inflating the tire again is not optimal. These little tools are made in China, but they are great for quickly setting up TPMS sensors after tires have been rotated.

For $16 on Amazon (less on ebay if you're willing to wait for a slow mail delivery from China) you can't go wrong. Well worth the cost if you do your own tire/wheel maintenance and rotation on you GM vehicles.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: Inexpensive GM TPMS relearn tool -
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »
Looks like a knock-off of the Kent-Moore EL-50448 Orange tool we used in the Chevy shop.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »
Looks like a knock-off of the Kent-Moore EL-50448 Orange tool we used in the Chevy shop.

A cheap Chinese knockoff of a quality OEM GM tool -- say it ain't so! --- LOL  :) :) :)

It even passed "Quality Control" -- the sticker says so.  ;)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »

A cheap Chinese knockoff of a quality OEM GM tool -- say it ain't so! --- LOL  :) :) :)

It even passed "Quality Control" -- the sticker says so.  ;)
They did not even change the color or design!

I always liked having the J-46079 handy to be able to actually read the sensor at the wheel and test the new ones before installation.

Most folks seem to be unaware that the batteries in most of these sensors have about a seven year life.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »
Pretty cool GF.

But I have to ask were under pressure to get that?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:12:20 PM »
Pretty cool GF.

But I have to ask were under pressure to get that?

:)) :))

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »
So you have to reset the sensor everytime you rotate the wheels?  I assume because of location change.  I know Mama's Charger has the TPSM's but I don't work on that.  We have a neighbor who is a Chrysler tech who does the work for her.

Don't know if my 17 plain jane F250 has them or not.  Never gave it a thought and haven't rotated yet but it is due

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »
So you have to reset the sensor everytime you rotate the wheels?  I assume because of location change.  I know Mama's Charger has the TPSM's but I don't work on that.  We have a neighbor who is a Chrysler tech who does the work for her.

Don't know if my 17 plain jane F250 has them or not.  Never gave it a thought and haven't rotated yet but it is due

Yup -- have to reset the RFID's of each sensor once they are rotated, so the car's computer can tell which wheel is in what position. Chances are that your basic truck also has this technology as a standard function Phil
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:50:03 AM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 10:20:26 AM »
When the wife got new tires on Black Friday the tire shop has a cabinet full of different kits to service the TPMS sensors with new batteries or replace the sensor if needed. They showed us a bag with the replaced parts. This was at Discount Tire.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »
When the wife got new tires on Black Friday the tire shop has a cabinet full of different kits to service the TPMS sensors with new batteries or replace the sensor if needed. They showed us a bag with the replaced parts. This was at Discount Tire.

Yes, they are standard installs these days if your car is older than five years. The batteries don't last past seven or eight years -- and then you start getting TPMS warning codes. The problem is that the tire chains charge outrageous prices for the damn things. I replaced the tires on my Caddy but the tire shop wanted $65 each for the TPMS sensors. I bough an entire new set of four sensors on Amazon for $45.

I found a local chain that installed my own sensors without question -- but some chains won't install customer provided sensors "due to insurance and warranty reasons". I just shopped around until I found a shop that would install my sensors and my Tire Rack purchased tires.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 10:56:57 AM »
I think it was $14 each to service with new batteries.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 11:04:44 AM »

That's a great deal, and it brings customers back for other services.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
You're fortunate, all the OEM ones I dealt with don't have replaceable batteries.  When I replaced sensors at the Chevy shop they were over $100 plus the cost of breaking the bead and installation.
Nick
Yorktown, VA