Author Topic: why would i pick up this old mac ratchet?  (Read 4147 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
why would i pick up this old mac ratchet?
« on: December 12, 2020, 11:54:36 PM »
yup i like red hard handle ratchets. yup i am a ratchet hound. nope, neither of those are the real reason i picked this up even though both would qualify. it's not new and in fact it ha a fair amount of wear. take a guess what is special enough to make ne want it. one hint, i don't have anything like it and there are very few like it.  ;)

ps. oh yea, it is about 8 3/8 inches long. about like any 3/8 ratchet . i suppose you could zoom in on the handle for the model number but then that would be cheating.  :lol_hitting:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 12:00:36 AM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

Re: why would i pick up this old mac ratchet?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 03:30:19 AM »
It was cheap?

You are addicted and can't help yourself?

The color complimented your outfit?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 03:31:21 AM »
Ooooooooh, its 1/2 inch in 3/8 body?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 01:17:15 PM »
3 more good guesses by phil, but no they were wrong.  :lol_hitting:

the fourth however was on the money. a  1/2 drive anvil in a 3/8 ratchet handle. the elusive compact 1/2 drive.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 05:27:15 PM »
I would tend to think a compact 1/2" would be counterproductive. If you're working on something with a bolt large enough that you need a 1/2" drive socket, I'd think a compact handle wouldn't provide enough torque to turn it.  :smiley_confused1:

Mind you I've never worked on diesel engines...or aircraft carriers. :lol_hitting:

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 06:18:22 PM »
Once you break something loose but still need a ratchet the compact ratchet is much handier than a bigger cousin and clearance may be helpful as well.

But your logic is right and probably the reason they are not more popular - changing ratchets is not convenient or common.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 09:43:16 PM »
Nice grab. I still haven't got one in my daily box, or a 3/8 in a 1/4 body.... Not sure why.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 03:17:59 PM »
I love a 3/8" in a 1/4" body, and I love a 1/2" in a 3/8" body, even though I don't use it nearly as much. Love it so much I have two; a Snap-on and an Allen (Danaher). They are great when working on older equipment that has a lot of 1/2" sized bolts but not hard torque needs.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »
Nice grab. I still haven't got one in my daily box, or a 3/8 in a 1/4 body.... Not sure why.

Tim, I was gifted a Blackhawk 3/8" in a 1/4" body that I don't use. It's yours if you want it. I have two Bonney's - one assembled and one in parts - that are handy if I ever need one.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 06:12:24 PM »
I have a 3/8 in a 1/4 wright that gets occasional usage. Somewhere in my distant past I recall cutting about 5 inches off a 1/2er handle to get something done. But just dont have a need for the specialty ratchets really.

Not like I'm saying I wouldn't buy one, just that I dont really use them is all.  :hee20hee20hee:

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 10:14:49 PM »
a little family photo, some of my hard handle proto big dogs and a proto indexing ratchet  with the nac up front. the last 2 compare the size of the 1/2 big dog and the mac, each with  the same 1 1/4 sk socket.

Online Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 10:24:19 PM »
I love a 3/8" in a 1/4" body, and I love a 1/2" in a 3/8" body, even though I don't use it nearly as much. Love it so much I have two; a Snap-on and an Allen (Danaher). They are great when working on older equipment that has a lot of 1/2" sized bolts but not hard torque needs.

Ditto, I have both sizes in Snappy, bought them new in the 1980's. Used every so often. I am a huge sucker for oddball ratchet variations.

That Mac would be a keeper for sure, even as an extra!  :bravo_2:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 10:27:42 PM »
so the question was asked. does it serve a purpose? time will tell i guess but i use compact 3/8 ratchets quite often. they  work great on allen bit sockets and in confined spaces  in sizes above 1/4 drive range  without extra adapters. i have no illusion that i will use it every day but i have no doubt it will get used.

as was said, sometimes you need some "umph" to get something to move and once it is free far less effort is needed to turn it but maybe not loose enough to turn by hand. or maybe not enough room for a full size ratchet to be easily used. if you search for a used one, they are pretty scarce so the value should stay up. i watched a gently used one go for over twice what i paid.

Online Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 10:30:54 PM »
so the question was asked. does it serve a purpose? time will tell i guess but i use compact 3/8 ratchets quite often. they  work great on allen bit sockets and in confined spaces  in sizes above 1/4 drive range  without extra adapters. i have no illusion that i will use it every day but i have no doubt it will get used.

as was said, sometimes you need some "umph" to get something to move and once it is free far less effort is needed to turn it but maybe not loose enough to turn by hand. or maybe not enough room for a full size ratchet to be easily used. if you search for a used one, they are pretty scarce so the value should stay up. i watched a gently used one go for over twice what i paid.

That one looks to be in fair condition so I cannot imagine you got hurt to bad on that deal Harlan. Besides, it is a bit special and always worth adding in my book. You don't have to wear it out, just know it is there and from time to time it will come in handy.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 12:37:00 AM »
That's like the Seal Team 6 of the ratchet world.

Most impressive collection.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
That's like the Seal Team 6 of the ratchet world.

Most impressive collection.

Gotta agree with that statement!

The indexable rat looks really nice. I think a 3/8" head in a 1/4" body indexable would be a great ratchet to have. Not designed of high torque situations but very functional in tights spots. Might have to try and fab something like that.

Offline muddy

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 08:31:29 PM »

Tim, I was gifted a Blackhawk 3/8" in a 1/4" body that I don't use. It's yours if you want it. I have two Bonney's - one assembled and one in parts - that are handy if I ever need one.
PM sent