Author Topic: Almost bought this tool today  (Read 2447 times)

Offline bonneyman

Almost bought this tool today
« on: December 15, 2020, 06:36:46 PM »
Had to go to the auto parts store, time to get an air filter for the van. Of course while I was there I had to walk down the tool aisle.  :-[

Saw this double flex end wrench with a Saltus square swivel on one end and a 1/4" drive lockable bit holder on the other. man I almost grabbed it! Only my logic of I already have tools that will do similar things, so, shy buy it? Then while waiting in line saw their 1/4" mini rotohead and almost bought that! Just hate how they promote that stuff right where you're gonna stand waiting to check out. Sheesh!

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/power-torque-tools-4691/tools---equipment-16488/hand-tools-16814/ratchets---torque-wrenches-25369/4a6b9be6ae5b/power-torque-1-4-inch-drive-dual-universal-speedy-driver/gm4359/6294333?pos=45

Offline slip knot

Re: Almost bought this tool today
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 08:15:13 PM »
even comes with a really nice hang tag too. I dont know how you kept from buying it.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
I saw that the other day. I played with it but couldn't really figure out it's purpose. I thought the socket end was more like  a breaker and then realized it was u joint.

Now that micro roto. That has uses.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 09:03:54 PM »
It's just a carry-over form HVAC mode. Was always keeping an eye out for new and unique 1/4" drive tools for getting fasteners out of outrageous tight spots. The newer units are so dang compact that the standard ratchet and such were just not cutting it. I thought that the U-joint might give me an edge. So I left it to think about it.
I may just go back and get the rotohead, though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:06:40 PM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 09:23:35 PM »
the store i was at had both versions of the mini roto. 1/4 drive square and 1/4 hex.

i have that little 1/4 square drive. let me bump the thread.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 11:56:33 PM »
Almost?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 09:00:17 AM »
George knowing you, you will make one out of spare stuff laying around

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 09:58:43 AM »
The little rotohead is cool, I'm fine buying Taiwan for little micor ratchets and such because they kind of corner the market on them and this one is a good tool.

One thing I will say is that it hasn't proven all that useful for me and the ability to remove the head with just a couple of screws has got my gears spinning.

I'm thinking there may be a way to put this ratchet head into a stubby driver handle and have a 90 tooth stubby bit driver.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »
The little rotohead is cool, I'm fine buying Taiwan for little micor ratchets and such because they kind of corner the market on them and this one is a good tool.

One thing I will say is that it hasn't proven all that useful for me and the ability to remove the head with just a couple of screws has got my gears spinning.

I'm thinking there may be a way to put this ratchet head into a stubby driver handle and have a 90 tooth stubby bit driver.

H&S, you and George are cut from the same cloth :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 11:50:37 AM »

But he's better at pulling this stuff off than I am.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »

But he's better at pulling this stuff off than I am.

Aw shucks, stop pumping my head bigger. The wife already thinks I look like Macy's parade balloon!  :D

I think I have a 1/4" drive universal I could cannabalize, and some steel or aluminum bar stock to make a handle. Just found a long shafted bit holder with spring retention that should work for the bit end. I'll try cobbling things together to see what I can do.

I also have this rotohead project left undone from some years ago, and seeing H&S's Titan ratchet swivel off gave me some inspiration to make that work. :great: