Author Topic: OK, I'm a hypocrite now  (Read 21943 times)

Offline bonneyman

OK, I'm a hypocrite now
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »
Harbor freight was having this liquidation sale, crazy discounts off of their already low prices. So.....I went in and bought a pair of their composite ratchets. Been thinking about it for a year after Jacks recommendation. Lighter, comfort curved handle, non-conductive (compared to steel), and less apt to mar finishes. Something just kept holding me back. Well, for $16 and change for the two of them I now have a 1/4" and 3/8". Don't ride me too hard that they're not Bonney's! :(

I asked the cashier why the liquidation? Were they closing? No, she said, just getting in new inventory.

Hmm. I don't know.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:48:03 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: OK, I'm a hypocrite now
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »
Were you able to get the hang tags off?

I think the majority of us have HF tools - I do for some of the users and about half my junk yard kit is HF.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 04:32:53 PM »
Yeah, the hang tags come off.

For $8 and $9 I had to pull the trigger. Give them a try out, see how they perform. I don't need any more ratchets, but the lighter weight and comfort handle just demanded a personal review.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »
The HF near me has a liquidation sale about once a month or two. I found one of these ratchets in 1/4" at a yard sale for a dollar. I personally didn't like the handle. The rest was ok.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 07:42:14 PM »
I've checked one out and it seemed like a decent tool, but no matter the quality I just feel a bit shameful or guilty about a tool with China or Taiwan on it.
I would like to be able to appreciate such tools if they can be useful, but growing up all my tools were cheapos from Taiwan or China and I got sick of it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 07:47:52 PM »
When I was growing up the cheap tools said USA or Japan.
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »
When I was growing up the cheap tools said USA or Japan.
I had a couple older Japan sets too.

I don't want to bring this off topic, but I'm not sure my post made much sense.
Here's the best analogy I can think of.
Say growing up the only protein your mom cooked with was beef , good or bad you probably wouldn't choose a beef dish if given the choice.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »
No hf in my toolbox ...never.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »
I've got one of the 1/4 drives and its not too bad. I use it quite a bit. nice light weight fine tooth ratchet.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 11:47:33 PM »
I will admit the handle shape might take a bit to get used to. The 1/4"er seems fine - the 3/8"er seems a bit big for the drive size. But at those prices I figured I gotta try it.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 12:07:47 AM »
Stanley was my first flagship brand and supplimented by any cheap stuff I  could afford.
    That included cheap Asain and old crap.

If a HF opened here I would be there four days a week to just get high on uncured rubber. 

Not sure I would buy much but to have the selection would be great.

For me the non mechanic homeowner crap has bigger appeal.   Two uses a year before setting in useful clutter catagory a long time.....
  Why park a lot of money?

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »
Harbor freight was having this liquidation sale, crazy discounts off of their already low prices. So.....I went in and bought a pair of their composite ratchets. Been thinking about it for a year after Jacks recommendation. Lighter, comfort curved handle, non-conductive (compared to steel), and less apt to mar finishes. Something just kept holding me back. Well, for $16 and change for the two of them I now have a 1/4" and 3/8". Don't ride me too hard that they're not Bonney's! :(

I asked the cashier why the liquidation? Were they closing? No, she said, just getting in new inventory.

Hmm. I don't know.

No worries Bonneyman, just ride the hell out of them and give us a report on how they hold up.

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »
Those composite ratchets are good workers. Had a 1/4" one iny work box till I upgraded to Matco.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
Just saw a video where the guy reviews these ratchets (actually the Tekton equivalent), and he cuts into the handle - revealing the steel core that runs about 2/3 the way down. I'm split on my reaction. Happy theirs some steel in there so I know it'll take some torque, but pissed that they advertized composite and it's just a coating. But then again what can I complain about over an $8 ratchet?

Guess I'll have to do my own review and post it for you guys.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 09:05:49 PM »
No hf in my toolbox ...never.

I don't have much HF stuff in my box, but I will admit to a few bits and pieces here and there. I will never have much HF in there though. I would sort of feel like I was diluting/corrupting the bloodline of my tools....... :)) :))
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!