Author Topic: Dishwashing drier rack for storing pliers and making pegboard trays -  (Read 9829 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
A few years ago Mrs. Goodfellow needed a new drying rack, and I just happened to walk by as she was putting the rack into the recycling box. I can use that!!!
I have a very FULL plier drawer -- in fact it's a mess, and I decided to use part of the rack for plier storage. Lots of threads out there about using these, and I finally remembered to try this out.

The good thing is not only did I get one, but eventually wound up with two racks. After buying a new one at Wallyworld, my wife decided it was too small and she couldn't use it. So, good for me, let me have it. Here is the original mess -- 

As I said, there were two trays, one small (black) and one large (white). The white tray takes up too much room, and the pliers just slop around in there. HOWEVER  the smaller black tray is (dare I say it); a perfect plier holder. It's tight and compact and I can easily fit three or four of these in my drawer.

Here is the small back tray with the bottom cut out --

....and the drawer with most of the pliers organized in the two racks - notice the wasted space on the larger white rack.

The smaller tray is really nice. I'm off to Wallyworld to buy three more of the black trays. Mrs. Goodfellow said that she paid around $7.00 for it. At that price, "it's a bargain".

EDIT: Updated this to show how this was finally organized. I removed the large white rack and subsituted two narrower (also white) racks. That was about all the racks I could fit, but it was good enough to make things presentable.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Well since I had a lot of "leftover" racks from the plier experiment. I though about what else can be done with these. The solution; peg board trays!!

I love peg boards, but I know some folks don't; for good reasons. However, if you have peg boards, then you are probably sick of those small trays that cost $5 each and aren't worth a darn in terms of functionality. So here is a good solution

The "leftover" rack --

Cut out one side and bend it to 90 dgrees, and trim accordingly to make peg board tabs.

Adjust the tabs as necessary and mount it on the board.

I've made five of these things and they are perfect for storing all those little "doo-dads" that have a habit of getting lost, or misplaced in the shop.

Works great !!

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
I've made the pliers rack but never thought to use the left over to make a peg board tray!!! Thanks for the idea!!
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

lostmind

You have almost as many pliers as Jack has ratchets

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
You have almost as many pliers as Jack has ratchets

LOL -- that was almost eight years ago -- I have twice that many now.

Yes!  I know I have a problem -- but I'm admitting to it.   LOL

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
My approach to pliers is different. I keep all Vise Grip pliers totally separate of other pliers in a different drawer. Any tin snips and the like ditto, to themselves and separate. Really specialized pliers like snap ring, door handle clip, hose clamp, etc. I also separate from what I would consider regular pliers that would include Channies, dikes, side cutters, linesman, combos, needle nose and there might be a couple of others I am forgetting. Extra long pliers/side cutters I also separate to themselves.

Wire strippers, likewise kept separate. Brake pliers I keep with brake tools. Even doing that my regular plier drawer is still crammed to overflowing. I like the looks of that though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

I have used dish racks, CD racks, plier racks and even solid wire wound about a broom handle to make all sorts of tool racks.  Darn camera won't flash at the moment so no pics.

The solid wire works great in the tool store because displays are always changing and it is cheap and quick and when I finally get around to doing something, I have all I need in stock.  If I had to run out to buy something, it wouldn't happen

I will say, the plier racks work the best though the others aren't far behind