Author Topic: My "Workshop"  (Read 10389 times)

Offline muddy

My "Workshop"
« on: November 27, 2018, 08:46:18 PM »
Figured I post up my mess.

We were limited in our options on what house we could afford. (We have an USDA loan)

The lot is only a 1/3 of an acre, and only a garden shed for a outbuilding. So not ideal setup for a farm boy/hobbyist like me.

Anyway adapt, improvise, overcome.

It's kind of a unique setup. It's basically a basement, except there is a garage door at the back of the the house that leads to the basement.

If it were not for the garage door it would make the space useless.

Has an (roughly) 8'x14' "work shop" and basically a small one car bay.

It was walled off as a "garage" at one time. I would like to wall it back off and semi-finish the other side as a man cave. We'll see if that happens as you can see it needs some cleaning up.

Feel free with comments or questions

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: My "Workshop"
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:13:18 PM »
Looks pretty good Tim. It's a nice warm place to work. I can see you and Sam having a great time down there. Better get that toy train setup ready to go and start planning because in a three/four years he'll be at just the right age.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:34:49 PM »
Nothing wrong with that space. At least you don't have to keep the Harley in the living room. At one point in my life I would've loved that much space.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
I have seen and had much worse! Shows a lot of promise to me!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »
Don't feel bad, spent the first 10 years of married life in a 41' by 8' wide trailer (they only called them mobile homes later).  I had a packing case outside about 3' x4' for my tools and did all my work outside for the first 5 years and then built by first shop 10' x 16' and used it the next 5 years mostly still working on cars outside.  So take heart, figure out how to make built-in's so you can store your stuff so as to make room to work on projects. :)

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 05:48:13 PM »
8x14 isn't so bad, my shop is 11x13, with just under 6' of head room. You can do a lot in there, especally with the one car attached and the roll up.

Offline john k

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 07:17:27 PM »
Been to many estate sales with a basement workshop set up just like that.  Good lights,  everything in reach.   Got to ask, in the first two pics, old wooden box?   Might it be a fanning mill?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
Don't feel bad, spent the first 10 years of married life in a 41' by 8' wide trailer (they only called them mobile homes later).  I had a packing case outside about 3' x4' for my tools and did all my work outside for the first 5 years and then built by first shop 10' x 16' and used it the next 5 years mostly still working on cars outside.  So take heart, figure out how to make built-in's so you can store your stuff so as to make room to work on projects. :)

Ditto -- my first townhouse had a concrete driveway, and I thought I was lucky because I didn't have to work in the street like I did when I lived in apartments. I did a lot of work on that driveway winter and summer, and kept the old family cars running.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 09:05:59 PM »

Got to ask, in the first two pics, old wooden box?   Might it be a fanning mill?

Threasher, kinda like a combine of the 1800s. Separates grain from the chaff.

The company that manufacturered that one was owned by wife's family ancestors.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »
Lot of potential there, Muddy.
boop/bop/beep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 09:45:48 PM »
Why separate it back out? Looks like a nice sized space.

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »
At least you have heat, I have all the space I could ever need but cant hardly use it December-February.