Author Topic: Going to restore this Meyers OK Unloader I picked up yesterday  (Read 8802 times)

Offline coolmercury

Going to restore this Meyers OK Unloader I picked up yesterday
« on: December 02, 2018, 03:12:48 PM »
Bought this unloader (hay trolley and hooks) at an auction yesterday.  Kind of always wanted one, but prices were always too high for me.  This one also came with the hooks which are very rare including the chains and the attaching mechanism/tripping mechanism. It is locked up in various places (rusted, not patina) but is undamaged (hope I'm successful in that area).  Usually the wheels are what is damaged.  In the olden days this trolley ran on a track in the top of a barn that had a 4 to 6 foot overhang at one end and a large door----the track ran out to the end of the overhang.  The hooks were dropped down and attached to a load of loose hay and hoisted up to the door and then pulled back into the barn and tripped.  Will post as I progress on this project.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Going to restore this Meyers OK Unloader I picked up yesterday
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
Great project -- do you have a line setup to use it, or is it just for decoration?

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 03:19:11 PM »
Plan to build a short 3 foot track and install it along one wall of my shop.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »
Those are so cool.  I remember helping my grandfather bail hay and using one or something similar.  We would pull the wagon in front of the barn and lower the hooks into the bails and then raise them into the haymow where they were then released and the bails dropped to us to stack.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 05:49:30 PM »
Making progress, got all of the wheels loose and turning as well as the pulleys.  Last was the tripping mechanism and it came loose today.  Now to put it into my blast cabinet and start getting the main rust off. :)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 09:34:54 AM »
That is going to look cool!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!