Author Topic: Rattle can paint job vs spray gun paint job  (Read 4906 times)

Offline m_fumich

Rattle can paint job vs spray gun paint job
« on: February 27, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »
Expense and color options aside, is rattle can paint or primer different than what I can get to shoot from a gravity fed spray rig? I once read in a forum somewhere that rattle can paint didn’t contain hardner. Can someone school me on the differences between these paints?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:47:45 PM by m_fumich »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Rattle can paint job vs spray gun paint job
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
Could be true and that makes sense otherwise why is it not packaged that way for a real spray rig?

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:00:56 AM »
This is out of my league, but my neighbor growing up owned a body shop and I asked the same question once. I don’t remember the exact answer, but as I recall the real difference had something to do with the way the aerosol evaporated as it dried which basically rendered it chemically or molecularly inferior to gun applied paint.

This has been probably 20 years ago. Is it still accurate? Has rattle can paint evolved? Was it ever correct or total bullshit? I can’t say, but it might help you in searching for a good answer.

I will say this, I’ve never seen a car painted with a rattle can that looked good, but maybe I just haven’t been looking hard enough.

Offline m_fumich

Rattle can paint job vs spray gun paint job
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 12:06:55 AM »
I once saw a forum post about painting a car with a roller. The paint went on thick and there was a TON of sanding to get it smooth but the finished product was great. As for painting cars with a rattle can, I know prep has a lot to do with the quality of the final result. So does the sanding after each stage. I’m tempted to take a piece of sheet metal and use the techniques I’ve seen in all the videos I’ve watched to see how good of a job I can do with rattle cans. Oh, I was also told that auto paint stores can put custom pain in rattle cans. I don’t know if that’s true or not.

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 12:39:57 AM »
Oh, I was also told that auto paint stores can put custom pain in rattle cans. I don’t know if that’s true or not.

They can, but it will be more expensive.
boop/bop/beep

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 01:53:43 AM »
I don’t ever want to paint a car with rattle cans. I have a compressor and I plan to buy a gravity fed paint gun. But if I’m doing something smaller that would only take a few ounces of paint, can I get as good a finish from rattle cans as I would a spray gun? Or if I’m working on my car and I sand a small area down to bare metal, will rattle can primer protect it well enough? Painting a bicycle might be a good example. If I want the bike to look as good as a car paint job, can I get that with rattle can paint?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 07:17:10 AM »
I don’t ever want to paint a car with rattle cans. I have a compressor and I plan to buy a gravity fed paint gun. But if I’m doing something smaller that would only take a few ounces of paint, can I get as good a finish from rattle cans as I would a spray gun? Or if I’m working on my car and I sand a small area down to bare metal, will rattle can primer protect it well enough? Painting a bicycle might be a good example. If I want the bike to look as good as a car paint job, can I get that with rattle can paint?

Yes it can, enamel Rust-Oleum in spite of the nay sayers, does a good job,,, and can also be polished. krylon is lacquer and does not do as well, yes it drys faster, finish lacks.

Rust-Oleum suffers from the user side, takes time to gas out, when there is NO smell it is dry.

The kid across the street wanted an orange bike, fixed it

Pep
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:19:41 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »
I use Rustoleum rattle cans for all my tool restoration needs where there was paint originally.  Can get a good result if the surface preparation is good.  Some are over 20 years since restored and look fine.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 03:48:59 PM »
I found this video.