Author Topic: Help! Mini cultivator runs too fast.  (Read 4620 times)

Offline m_fumich

Help! Mini cultivator runs too fast.
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:51:37 PM »
I got a Troy-Bilt TB 225 mini cultivator from my brother. He was gonna toss it. He said he has to replace the carb every year and doesn’t want to keep doing it. I replaced the carb. It was $17 with new fuel lines, spark plug, replacement primer bulbs, fuel filters, and gaskets. If this thing only need $17 in repairs each year, I’ll keep it until it just won’t run.

Anyway......

I replaced the carb and it started right up. But it won’t run slow. It should run slow enough that the clutch doesn’t engage but it won’t. I’ve backed the idle screw all the way down. The carb has 2 adjustment screws, high and low, but they require a special tool that I don’t have YET. But these carbs are supposed to be pre adjusted. Is there something else I need to do or do I need to order that adjustment driver?

BTW, my plan for this is to use it to run a homemade pump on a shallow well. I hope to be digging the well in the next couple weeks. I’ll post about that when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ken w.

Re: Help! Mini cultivator runs too fast.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »
You may want to check for a vacuum  leak.  I don't believe that these carbs are pre adjusted enough to just put on and run , unless it's non adjustable. If it's a Chinese import carb , you may have gotten a bad one. I put a lot of these carbs on Tecumseh 5 HP + and 1 out of 5 wont work right. They are a crude replacement for an original , but they are under $ 20.00 compared to $ 70.00 for an original.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 12:24:29 PM »
The only place for a vacuum leak is between the carb and the manifold. Wouldn’t that cause it to have low power though? There are 2 adjustment screws, high and low, circled in red. I’m hoping an adjustment is the fix but since I don’t work on these much, I wanted to see what you guys though while I’m waiting for the driver set to arrive.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 11:02:18 PM »
I think you need to adjust it. I read somewhere that the adjusting tools are illegal to possess. EPA laws. Can you imagine that. Sitting in jail and someone asks - what are you in for ??

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 11:09:09 PM »
I think you need to adjust it. I read somewhere that the adjusting tools are illegal to possess. EPA laws. Can you imagine that. Sitting in jail and someone asks - what are you in for ??

No way it’s illegal. Who ever told you that doesn’t have any common sense. Someone can put a 1000 HP engine in a drag car but I can’t adjust the carb on my tiller? That’s hysterical. BTW, I ordered the contraband from Amazon.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 11:15:07 PM »
I ordered a set on Ebay. I was at my local small engine parts store and they showed me a bulletin about it.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 11:22:34 PM »
I ordered a set on Ebay. I was at my local small engine parts store and they showed me a bulletin about it.

I think you got punked. It’s legal to own yellow cake uranium and someone claims it’s illegal to adjust the carb on lawn equipment?

My adjusters will arrive Monday. I’ll post how it goes.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 08:27:30 AM »
Running fast sounds like lean, not able to adjust. Vac leak possible also . Using a circular motion, emory and a flat surface can check the carb base, and dial it in.

What if .... manifold is off some, & carb some, making gasket leak. Dialing in the carb base would most likely allow the gasket to seal better.

Next idea ...and would do the above first
 Have small drill bit set, for 17 bucks, you could open the jet up a tad.

Like one step above what it is, see if that gives any adjustment. If yes and still need more do it again.

Type of bits I mentioned
https://www.amazon.com/Gyros-45-12010-Carbon-Steel-Gauge/dp/B000SKRR76/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=%2361-%2380+drill+bit+set&qid=1555765482&s=gateway&sr=8-4

What do ya think jail time will be 25 too life with possible parole ?

"adjusting tools are illegal to possess."

Then only the criminals will have them, and the guns  :-\
1776 ................... what happened!