Author Topic: SITE UPGRADE  (Read 717 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Re: SITE UPGRADE
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2024, 01:13:38 AM »
i am going to throw this out. if any of our members have knowledge of running a site like this, reach out to us. this is no time for pride. priority one is getting this place to have at least 4 tires and air.  we can fix the oil leaks and weak brakes as they come up.

I've run several sites using this forum software, happy to provide whatever help I can!

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2024, 04:43:42 AM »
Have to say, I was getting nervous without my GG fix. Thanks, and keep up the GREAT work.

Lou Manglass

Offline highland512

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2024, 12:59:18 PM »
I have a good chili recipe if it comes to that again  :)) :))

(I hope it doesn't happen again)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2024, 03:44:55 PM »
Hey now, that ain't funny!  :021:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline john k

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2024, 05:01:55 AM »
This is all news to me.  Did not realize the door here was closed for awhile.  Not, am thinking due to my breathing exhaust fumes all those years but due to my available internets glacial speed.  I click on here most days, but if the buffering wheel keeps spinning, I just try back later.  It even happens trying to access the local weather report, nothing new.  Once following an online auction, access slowed even more, grabbed this tablet, charger, jacket, my pickup truck, and drove a 1/2 mile to the hilltop that has access to a different tower, one closer than 17 miles.  I know that worked as I got the bill my fat fingers landed on.  Good to hear the powers that be got it going. 

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2024, 06:06:09 PM »
Looks as if the Machinist Gazette Board has gone dark the last day or so...  :38:

Offline TerryWerm

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2024, 12:34:17 AM »
Yup, she went belly up a couple of days ago. The domain name was renewed a week or so ago and still shows as being registered until March of 2025, but I suspect that the hosting service has not been paid, leaving the domain 'unparked'.  When you purchase a domain name you have to 'park' it on a web server and register the name and the web server's IP address with a DNS server, either at your ISP or at your hosting service, depending on which one you are using. If it isn't parked and registered on a DNS users cannot find it and a hosting service will not let you park a name for free.

Over the next few days, we will be getting things figured out to see what direction we want to go. In the meantime we are all congregating in a temporary forum that I set up on my site at  https://www.terrywerm.com/MG/index.php

If any of the MG guys show up over here, please send them to our temporary forum. That way we aren't over here plugging up your site.

While I am here, I wish to thank the admins and moderators over here for your hospitality and for helping us out by initially allowing the MG guys to convene here. It has been very helpful.  In exchange, I wish to extend the offer to you guys to come over to our temporary forum if this place should ever go dark. We have not been able to make contact with Rusty despite our best efforts. He does not respond to emails, PMs, or even phone calls. We searched for an obituary, fearing the very worst, but found none. Personally, I suspect he may be temporarily incapacitated for health reasons, but there is no way to tell for sure. We have even tried contacting people that we suspect are his relatives and we get no response from any of them, which is really strange. So, all we can do is wait for the time being and see what happens next. We will keep you guys updated on how we proceed.

:coffee2:
Terry
Keeper of the Royal Coffeepot since just last week.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2024, 09:56:38 AM »
All's not well in Denmark. I wasn't able to log in at https://www.terrywerm.com/MG/index.php. I receive a message that my username  "oldcarguy" is not recognized. Neither is my email address... Should I try signing in setting up my handle?

Offline TerryWerm

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2024, 01:38:24 PM »
Your user name will not be recognized because it is a separate forum. It runs on a different server, on a different hosting service. It has NO CONNECTION to this site or to MG other than the fact that it has some of the same members in common. So, if you want to get in over there, you will have to register. Sorry, but that is the way it is. There is no way for any of these forums to be linked to each other. Each one requires its own registration.

Sorry for any inconvenience, we are doing the very best we can under the circumstances.

Terry

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2024, 02:23:15 PM »
I'm registered,, Had to wait until my registration was approved..

I understand there's no way that members can be cross linked between sights. But I thinking that the good folks between GG and MG were trying to get the member's list from MG and transfer them to this temporary sight.. That may or may not be temporary.. In any event Job Well Done. Thank you..
 :bravo_2:

Offline TerryWerm

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2024, 02:35:10 PM »
The new temporary site that we are using MIGHT get used as a permanent replacement for MG, but it will probably get moved to a different server. I won't go into the reasons why, but it has to do with keeping my personal stuff separate from the place where MG will exist. If I die tomorrow we don't want MG to disappear again, so we are taking a different approach and getting things set up properly BEFORE we set it all in stone.

Thanks for the accolades, it has been a rocky couple of weeks, and there is some more rough road ahead of us.

Terry