Author Topic: Cleaning a old tool  (Read 310 times)

Offline snapmom

Cleaning a old tool
« on: January 16, 2024, 02:19:14 PM »
I have learned that there is no one way to clean a tool,  every tool that comes in is in different condition.  I not longer want to get a tool to restored condition,  heck its a tool, its used, and deserves to be used again,  and if it not going to be used, the get it back to good working condition.  And trying to save some history here.
Pictured,  a Snap on 24" Tee, very rare.  Its about as rusty as it can get.  pd. 40 dollars for it.
With this much rust you just don't want your work area turn into a dust bowl,  so will treat it to evoporust for a couple of days.  If it was light rust would probably just clean in up with a fine wire wheel (don't skip cost here, buy a good one like Weiler,  and use googles.  If it just dirty/grease will use a ultrasonic cleaner
I have used the electric method,  works well but its a mess to clean up.
More to come, get the tool some what cleaned
Also, there are lots of ways collectors deal with this,  so please post,  its always nice to learn something new.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 02:20:54 PM by snapmom »

Offline snapmom

Re: Cleaning a old tool
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 08:21:18 AM »
After evap dip,  still quite rough,  next I use a Fine 2S deburring wheel, to smooth the metal out,  this does remove metal, but not much,  also used a wire wheel, and a dremel  to get into places the wheel doen not.  then a wipe down with steel wool, and back into the evap.  The reason I am doing this, is the tool is bare shinney metal, and I want to start to put a patina on it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 08:42:04 AM by snapmom »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 11:44:01 AM »
.....and I want to start to put a patina on it.

That's where I remove it from a vinegar bath, let it flash rust (that does not take long) and let it go from there.

My 2 tools are vinegar and Evapo. I've never needed to use the electro method, if something is that big in size, out comes the sandblaster.

:)

Offline snapmom

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 01:42:35 PM »
I apply a coat of Perm Blue,  I want to get the tool black,  it sometimes comes out of the evap bath, black,  depends the metal content of the tool,  sometimes takes several coats of Perm Blue to do this.  Then use 0 steel wool, or slow wire wheel to remove most of the black.  you just have to experiment with this,  diff tools take diff methods,  the flash rust idea, sounds good too.
Coat the finished tool with your choice of oils.  T9. Gibbs, Fluid Film all seen good.  If the tool has a detent ball,  drop some oil in there too.

Will put it up for sale,  will report on how it does.