Author Topic: Identifying this roller tool chest.  (Read 511 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Identifying this roller tool chest.
« on: January 19, 2024, 01:01:59 PM »

I picked up this well used roller tool chest fifteen years ago. It's been in one of my garages since. And only used to open and mix automotive paints on.. Looks like a real SnapOn; but could be a knock-off with snapon badges. It's 18 deep, 34" wide, and 36" tall with nine drawers.  The drawers move but need to be cleaned and lubricated. Then painted.. I tried to give it to one of my grandsons who is of age and really getting into tools. No go, he purchased a nice used one.. Not that I don't have enough projects. I may put some work and bring it back to life. 

There is an outlet in the top wired to a flush receptacle plug on the lower back side.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Identifying this roller tool chest.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 02:53:43 PM »
Original Snap-On KR 300 series industrial Rolla-Bench. Mid-50s I would guess judging by the drawer pulls and the dual logo tags. It's an unusual item because the lower three drawers could be easily removed and made into a larger volume storage space. I'm not sure if SO also sold a fold-back drawer lid to cover the front opening once the lower drawers were removed.

The other unique thing is that some Rolla-Bench models had an adjustable gooseneck work light attached to the back of the unit to aid industrial line mechanics in doing on-the-spot repair work. Not that many of those around anymore -- AND they were specifically built to be moved all the time, hence they were made of stronger, more durable caster and frame support materials
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 02:56:16 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 05:29:02 PM »
Definitely not a knockoff, that's completely legit.  It's hard to find them period, let alone with all the drawers.  A very worthy restoration candidate, or you could try and see how well you could clean it up.

I picked this one up about ten years ago with the lamp.  I've dated it to about 1954.  I had the top box already.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 05:35:33 PM »
Definitely not a knockoff, that's completely legit.  It's hard to find them period, let alone with all the drawers.  A very worthy restoration candidate, or you could try and see how well you could clean it up.

I picked this one up about ten years ago with the lamp.  I've dated it to about 1954.  I had the top box already.

Beautifull piece galaxie -- a true classic. The fact that you still have the light attached, and in working order, makes that a very rare bird indeed. Congrats!!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 05:36:33 PM »
The back will have an embossed part number. Perhaps KR xxxx or a variant of that.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 05:48:37 PM »
Doing a little more research, this catalog is 1955 so mid '50s is a good assumption.

Thanks, GF, I was lucky to get this one.  Was heading up to Michigan for Labor Day weekend and I found it on Craigslist.  Back when Craigslist was a thing.   ;)

Made arrangements to take a look at it when I got there and nabbed it for $275.  A little more than I wanted to pay, but I knew these weren't easy to come across, especially in this shape, so I happily paid it.  Best thing is it had been at a shop in Pontiac it's whole life, not far from where I lived growing up.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 09:37:44 PM »
WOW, Incredible finds!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 09:38:15 PM »
The way the drawers are set back I wonder if that had the roll down metal cover, ala a wooden roll top desk.  They got stiff if not lubed often, and got removed.  Had one once in the 70s.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 06:27:44 AM »
The way the drawers are set back I wonder if that had the roll down metal cover, ala a wooden roll top desk.  They got stiff if not lubed often, and got removed.  Had one once in the 70s.

It apparently it did -- Galaxie's pics shows the metal roll-down cover in place. I don't know where he got the catalog pic, but it does seem like the roll-down feature was an option and not a standard included feature.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 06:47:19 PM »

It apparently it did -- Galaxie's pics shows the metal roll-down cover in place. I don't know where he got the catalog pic, but it does seem like the roll-down feature was an option and not a standard included feature.

What I posted was from a 1955 catalog.  I don't think the roll down door was ever optional, I think the only thing optional was the extra drawers to fill it out.  If you bought the regular box, you'd get the empty space at the bottom. 

Here's another rolla bench I got from an estate sale last year, this is from the '40s, but not sure the precise timeframe.  The shelf on the left was welded on and held a vise at some point.  The piece where the Snap On logos are flips up and that's where any trace of the door hides behind.
boop/bop/beep

Online nelstomlinson

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 11:52:05 PM »
I had one of those 30 years ago. It had the roll down cover, but it didn't have the bottom drawers. It was a cool old box, and I kinda wish I still had it.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 02:05:10 PM »

Having a closer look at this roller cabinet I found the roller cover nested above the top drawer. It's somewhat tight; But easily closed, covering the drawers. Just needs a lock... Really neat!

Picture of the bare top under with the work mat removed...

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 02:31:18 PM »
Sweet box, quite enviable for sure OCG!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!