Author Topic: Pliers? More pliers in the collection? I don't need no more stinkin' pliers!  (Read 341 times)

Offline oldnslo

Well, with that said, sometimes you DO need to add a new variant to the pliers drawer in your daily working toolbox.

Up for your consideration is a Berylco set of slip joints. Conveniently picked up on the sly while routing around a scarce collection of tools at the local thrift shop annual sale. What a madhouse that corner of the store was with old codgers (me included) competing for non-valuable tools in the man-cave corner. Since I was there 3 hours after the sale started, that told me these non-sparking slip joints,"slipped" past the scrutiny of those less burdened with the trivial knowledge of specialty tools disguised as ordinary tools.

Next up, I present some odd Proto slip joint pliers. Found at some garage sale while out pedaling, these HAD to come home with me for .50c. Made in Canada no less, they appear to have had almost no use, and adjust to not just 2, but 3 slip settings.

Do I need any of these? Uhhhh...NO! Will I use any of these? Uhhhh...perhaps. Did they scratch some sort of tool collecting itch? Hell yeah!

Have a great tool-finding day!

Offline slip knot

Nice grab for sure. I think i have a pair similiar to the proto set.

:bravo_2: :bravo_2:

Offline jabberwoki

I found myself sliding down the Beryllium pole, found 1 then another.
Thankfully came to me senses and gave them away before i slid down too far.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline hickory n Steel

Are those slipjoint battery pliers ?
They're certainly interesting and now I've gotta resist the urge to start looking for a pair.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Good grab!

Proto called them "Wrenching Pliers". I've got 2 pair, I think a Proto and a P&C. Awesome gripping power, more useful.....eh.

Here's the patent.
https://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=2600512&typeCode=0
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 03:36:47 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Those are the first ones I have ever seen, I never heard of them before now either.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline The Magic Ratchet

I have a pair somewhere. I believe the jaws stay parallel as they open.

Offline john k

Have a pair of those Protos, used them, like them.  Almost as much as I like the slip joint Wilde pliers.