Author Topic: What do you guys think / know about this set ?  (Read 5544 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

What do you guys think / know about this set ?
« on: May 12, 2019, 09:35:31 AM »
I don't have it yet, but I definitely will.

I was kind of thinking maybe 70's -80's based on the the overall look of the label and not having any 8pt's making it later than the 60's, but I'm no expert.
It appears to say new Britain machine company on the label.

In this picture the type of marking on the ratchet and different handle shape makes me think it may be a later replacement.

With a decent selection of sockets ( supposed to be 3/8-1" ), a ratchet, speeder, breaker bar and extensions it really seems like a great user set.
$60 shipped is a bit high dollar I suppose, but I think it's probably worth it considering what it comes with.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:44:13 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: What do you guys think / know about this set ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:03:21 AM »
Yeah, $60 is a bit high ($35-40 would be better). But it's a well-rounded set, the pieces are in nice shape, and I don't see any dents or bad paint on the box.
My OCD always balked at the mix of 6 and 12-point sockets but I've got a Bonney set like that so it is do-able.  ;D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 12:40:17 PM »
Yeah, $60 is a bit high ($35-40 would be better). But it's a well-rounded set, the pieces are in nice shape, and I don't see any dents or bad paint on the box.
My OCD always balked at the mix of 6 and 12-point sockets but I've got a Bonney set like that so it is do-able.  ;D
Do you think the ratchet is original to the set ?
It's $38 and change + $18 and change for shipping, so I rounded up to $60.

The $38 is very reasonable, and I suspect with the condition of the box that high shipping cost just may go towards getting it to me in the exact condition pictured.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »
I completely missed the fact that it also comes with a universal and 1/4 adapter.
Plus one of those super short extensions, it's not often you might need it, but with a standard depth socket sometimes a little more knuckle clearance is great.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 04:03:56 PM »
If you don't mind my opinion-------on the ratchet.

I would expect to see one of these in that set-----but what do I know---I'm old.   ;D
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 04:38:47 PM »
If you don't mind my opinion-------on the ratchet.

I would expect to see one of these in that set-----but what do I know---I'm old.   ;D
I'd say you're probably right for sure, that ratchet definitely looks fairly modern to me and not like what I know to be a new Britain ratchet.

This set would probably have to be 70's right ?
Since Stanley purchased  NB's parent company in the 80's if I remember correctly.

I messaged the seller to see if there's any chance at a $10 price cut since the ratchet isn't original, but I like the looks of the ratchet included and as a user I don't really care if the ratchet isn't original.
I figure it's worth a shot to see what happens, but regardless this set will be mine in about 3 course when my pay is deposited into my account.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:55:44 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 07:11:14 PM »
With the ratchet being more modern than the case, and with the sockets being so shiny, I would be wary of that set.

I have gotten dupped enough times on the eBay to be sure of anything there unless they send really good pics.

Then again, I have gotten some really good deals there too.

Caveat emptor.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 07:26:59 PM »
The ratchet handle should match the handle on the breaker bar.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 07:59:26 PM »
The ratchet handle should match the handle on the breaker bar.
I figured so, but I do like the looks of this ratchet.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 08:15:13 PM »
With the ratchet being more modern than the case, and with the sockets being so shiny, I would be wary of that set.

I have gotten dupped enough times on the eBay to be sure of anything there unless they send really good pics.

Then again, I have gotten some really good deals there too.

Caveat emptor.
Good point.
The seller has lots of other tools for sale though, and 100% positive feedback so I'm willing to gamble on this one.
It was originally a 19pc set while there's 21 pieces here which I didn't exactly catch before, It's looking like part of another set was added / filled in.
I'm okay with this for a user set, not if I was going to collect it and wouldn't pay much no matter what if everything wasn't all Husky.

From what I can see I think the ratchet was replaced and 2 extra extensions were tossed in, I noticed two of the extensions appear to be the same.
I'll know whenever it gets here I guess, I hope it doesn't disappoint for the $58.90 I payed.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:19:06 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:23 PM »
It shipped today, I'm sure I probably payed a bit too much but Im not sure if you can get an American made 3/8 socket set today for $60 let alone one that comes with a breaker bar and speeder wrench.
Hell I'm not sure if you can get a Taiwanese set for $60 that comes with a speeder wrench and breaker bar.

I don't care if it's now brand new as long as it works and nobody has taken a grinder or sandpaper to any of it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 01:24:43 PM »
Got it today and I really like it, it was packed extremely well.
The box was ziptied shut in multiple places and packed with newspaper which did a decent job of keeping everything from shifting around.

I'll post some pictures later, everything is very clean.
I don't think this ratchet ever did anything more than ride around in a drawer, it's pretty stiff and needs some lubrication though.
The only problem with that is that the retaining clip is too strong for me to finagle out with a couple of picks like I normally do.
I now have to buy some retaining ring pliers, but I've needed them for a while anyways.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »

The only thing that looks like it's seen decent use is the spark plug socket.

The ratchet seems pretty nice, excellent fit and finish , 45 tooth count, very Interesting mechanism, and appears to have just sat in a tool box.
I got it apart and lubed it, and it's still a little stiff probably just needing a good break in.

Came with two CB20 extensions, if anybody needs one let me know.

Always lookin' to learn