Author Topic: Tools from Local Garage Sale  (Read 755 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Tools from Local Garage Sale
« on: December 03, 2023, 12:34:40 AM »
Found these today at a garage sale an older gentleman was having.  I'd guess he's in his late '70s, but full of life.  Had tools organized over a few tables by brand.  It was quite impressive, I've never seen a sale so organized.  And very reasonable.  Several of the things I bought were a buck or two.  The ratchets were both under $10 each. 
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldcarguy

Re: Tools from Local Garage Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 08:51:59 AM »
Now that's what I call a good shopping day. At great prices,, and no sales tax.. The only sad issue is that the old timer is parting with his life collections of treasures. My father-in-law named his possessions as "Grandpa's Gold!"

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 12:03:28 PM »
Agree OCG. That said, at least this way he gets to realize what he feels is a fair price for his treasures. If I don't do the same somewhere down the line no telling what my wife would do with my piles of goodies. My wife has never shown anything but grudging acceptance of any of my mechanical interests and pursuits. Her lack of appreciation, especially for my shop and the tools within has been more noticeable the longer we have been married.

If I don't liquidate my tool inventory before I pass I shudder to think what my wife will do with the contents. I have an interested son, but he is going to have to take a keener interest in learning what to do with my shop machines and machinist tools there would be no sense to my not selling those machines and tools before passing.  There is little sense in leaving machines and tools requiring more than a basic understanding of their purpose(s) and how to use them. For sure the lathe, milling machine, metal shapers, drill presses, saws and disk/belt sander. Additionally my welder and all tooling related to the machines and precision measuring tools and boxes will need to go. Add to that paint guns, tap/die sets, body tools like hammers, dollies, spoons and air sanders and my Morgan nokker set as well. My 3/4 set, pipe threading set and many other unmentioned tools will need to go as well.

Ya, I anticipate selling off a good percentage of the tools and machines in my shop. My dad had it lucky, he knew that I had a great appreciation for his treasures. Even then I did not have the room to absorb all of his machines and tools into my shop. I  took from his tools everything that I knew he had used heavily and items with alot of sentimental significance to me and had to leave the rest behind. When this happened I was in to bad a shape to move machines and most of what I took alone and had to enlist the help of others to get what I could. What remained my BIL and nephew took a few things but not most. The remainder was not sold, but left in the house and emptied by a service my sister paid to haul everything out and prep the house for sale.

Incredible how some folks do things. Mom and sis just wanted it all gone. There was stuff like kitchen and dining room tables and chairs,  bedroom sets, and so much more. Hell, none of the stuff was old and dated. Much of what they paid to haul off was no more than 5-10 years old, undamaged, and good quality stuff! No thought of selling the contents, just hire a disposal company and write a check.

Typical for my sister. I could have made a decent second income from my sisters cast off items through the years.

Sorry guys, I just sat here and rambled.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 12:22:54 PM »
Now that's what I call a good shopping day. At great prices,, and no sales tax.. The only sad issue is that the old timer is parting with his life collections of treasures. My father-in-law named his possessions as "Grandpa's Gold!"

Not exactly.  He said he's still got a fair amount of tools but wanted to clear out some excess stuff so he'd have more room.  That made me feel good.  Being on the wrong side of fifty, I've started to think a little about what will happen to my stuff and want to shape a plan eventually.  We have a daughter, and while I want to help her become mechanically competent, I'll still have loads more stuff than she'll ever need.
boop/bop/beep

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 12:42:17 PM »
V nice haul.
It`s been soooo long since i've bought anything since they closed down my local swap.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 06:57:04 AM »
Being on the other side of 70, am thinking about the same as all this.  Blacksmithing tools,  3 forges, 3 anvils, post vices, box of hammers.  Hand type woodworking tools, saws, drills, and stuff of the gizmosity bent.  Then 3 tool boxes on wheels with a 40 year collection of things needed as a mechanic, air tools etc.  Then the farm stuff, jacks,  sledges, pry bars, shovels spades, and post hole diggers.  Also fencing tools, stretchers, wire pliers. Whew.  No wonder I can't get into the shop.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 10:59:06 AM »
V nice haul.
It`s been soooo long since i've bought anything since they closed down my local swap.

Just get on ebay, you will be buying tools like a fiend  before you know it!  :))

You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!