Author Topic: Picked up this Starrett plumbers level yesterday  (Read 8483 times)

Offline coolmercury

Picked up this Starrett plumbers level yesterday
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:59:33 PM »
Went to an estate auction yesterday and this level was in a box lot with some other starrett stuff.  I knew it was a plumbers level because of the groove in the bottom but had never seen an adjustable level for inclination before.  The scale shows marks from one to sixteen and guess that relates to fall per foot (or what)?  The lot went cheap, probably because they didn't know what the level was for.  To read the inclination level one looks through the hole in the top.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Picked up this Starrett plumbers level yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 07:04:40 PM »
Cool level. New it would be eye popping money like everything Starrett.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 07:31:15 AM »
Cool level. New it would be eye popping money like everything Starrett.

No doubt.  That is cool, never seen one before but makes perfect sense.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:56:14 AM »
I have seen those levels used, (minus the add on adjustment hardware) at the factory I used to work at where they made Cat attachments. Those levels also had the groove on the underside of the casting too. Every welder had one there.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Lance

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »
Fitter or lead weldor's tool.

Pipefitters use them to set up spools (subassemblies) of flanges, tees and elbows that get built in the shop and trucked to the field for install.  Spools cut time by probably half since they can be built in comfort and often on a positioner.  1 Pick with a crane puts a spool in place as opposed to building it piece by piece in the field.

Lead men use them for structural and machine frame assembly, jack the iron into orientation, tack, check and move to the next assembly while lower paid men weld it out.  A lot of shop assemblies are built using a 9" level and tape as the only tools involved beyond welding equipment.