Author Topic: yard care tools  (Read 9171 times)

Offline strik9

• X
yard care tools
« on: October 28, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
I am not big on manual garden work.  Do not hate it but not long to unpleasant.

So finally after saving up a bit and making a decision we got a weed whip.
   I like SBD and HD has some so it was not a hard choice.

This small electric is apt for our house perimeter and weighs nearly nothing.  Setup was very easy and it cleans up easily.

Got small patches between plants this will do.  Don't push it too hard into tall quackgrass and let it cool as you move the cord. 

Time will tell if that is enough to make it last a few years.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: yard care tools
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 05:19:30 PM »
Got a B&D 24v cordless string trimmer blower combo a few years ago and they work great, both weigh nothing and the trimmer has plenty of power for my needs.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 05:57:44 PM »
No cordless at all besides gas here.  I went for the low end model as it will see maybe an hour of use every 3 weeks. 

It tends to make fiberous mush of its victims and still does not clog the guard up.  If I were trying to do this as a job battery types would be hot.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 06:07:39 PM »
Should get the job done!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 06:35:22 PM »
This is my favorite weed whacker.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 07:49:59 PM »
No cordless at all besides gas here.  I went for the low end model as it will see maybe an hour of use every 3 weeks. 

It tends to make fiberous mush of its victims and still does not clog the guard up.  If I were trying to do this as a job battery types would be hot.
Yours will probably still be working in 10 years while the battery on mine will likely be dead and discontinued :'(
No big deal, the combo was on sale for like $50.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 08:06:07 PM »
I'm with JAFE here. I haven't owned a string trimmer in 25yrs.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 08:28:35 PM »
It might last a few years if kept clean and cool.  Steel will replace plastic line one day too.

If it keeps the she monster of the perfect garden by pointing and talking happy I win.
    Reduced time f-ing with dumb plants makes me happy.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »
If I were to spray pre-mixed RU on my weeds they would thank me and grow much larger. I was buying 2-1/2 gal jugs of the pro which is 48% from the county for less than it costs in the store. But the price has risen by 50% in the last couple of years. I now buy the Farmworks 42% glysophate from TSC for a 3rd of the price. I mix it strong along with 2-4-D to nuke everything. The leaves start curling and turning brown a few hours after spraying. I also wear a N95 mask while working with it.

I use a Honda whacker that will take down anything. The wife loves her Ryobi electric whacker and I will set up an extension cord in a heartbeat if she wants to weed whack. We have Craftsman edger that is like new that won't work as good as the whacker the way our lawn is. I have never seen any lawn care guys using an actual edger in years even though they are far superior for doing straight lines.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »
I have used at least 20 to 25 gallons of Round-up concentrate a year for the last 20 years, now the attorney types are putting together a class action against it for causing cancer.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
I use off the shelf Roundup and it works quite well for my needs. That's about the only yard work I'll do.

Part of my success with Roundup may be in part be because of my black thumb I seem to have the ability to kill anything with chlorophyll in it's veins.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 07:29:03 AM »
Strik, I was expecting a picture of a goat. 

Have a buddy who married later in life and lived way off the road in the woods.  He had a goat in his yard.  When he did get married he told his wife he didn't mow.  If she wanted to, he would buy a her a mower, otherwise the goat was staying.  She does the mowing :))