Author Topic: So who actually wants an EV?  (Read 954 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
So who actually wants an EV?
« on: August 29, 2023, 09:28:28 PM »
I have never had even the slightest interest. Honestly,  I hope I am long gone before they are the only option. Honestly just the thought I find reprehensible, and I don't even care about how fast, quiet, or energy efficient they are. The whole idea just makes my skin crawl and makes me cranky!  :character0029:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: So who actually wants an EV?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 06:38:45 AM »
I certainly don't want one, and it's not because of the usual reasons (i.e. charging time, charger infrastructure, battery safety issues, environmental concerns with battery manufacturing and disposal). From what I've seen, most of the manufacturers (except Tesla) are jumping on the EV bandwagon due to government pressure. The EPA and various other groups want to force this technology down our throats without allowing the car companies any time to really test these things.

The reliability of the "advanced" electronics in these cars is a nightmare, and all the manufacturers are having huge issues that are not reported in the MSM (I wonder why?). Class action law suits against the EV industry abound -- and getting someone, anyone to address the crazy electrical and technology gremlins in these cars is almost impossible because not even the dealerships are equipped to handle them. Lots of EVs are sitting idle because they can't be properly diagnosed and/or repaired.

I agree that Internal Combustion Engine is on it's last legs, but I'm putting my money on hydrogen fuel cell technology. It's a known quantity, and we can produce tons of hydrogen from natural gas. All we need is the government to put its weight behind the effort -- and good luck with that!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 06:40:18 AM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 09:32:36 AM »
I wouldn’t have one as my only vehicle but I’m not opposed to them. I think a solar array charging station would be cool for free energy to charge it.

But they got a long way to go before they become an only vehicle option for me.

Offline 34Ply

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 10:46:05 AM »
Not me!  I've always been a propionate of Natural gas or propane. I've worked in a warehouse for hours with a propane fork lift and was amazed that the was no smell or trouble breathing. Most all the electric company's trucks run natural gas and most garbage collectors do the same. At least in VT.
I might be wrong but a lot of city's are using it for there infrastructure. The main complaint I get is  there is no where to get it. Have gas stations add a tank. I'm sure the cost of a car might increase but once you do away all the pollution controls it might bring the cost down.
The big plus is we have it the U.S. No buying shit battery's from China and shut the Rich Guys North of Richmond the hell up.

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 05:39:23 PM »
Saw   a Tesla for rent at Hertz at the airport, am tempted to try it out.  Having driven most everything from Model A Fords to the present,  hundreds of models, after 40 years in dealerships.  My present driving needs fall in an electrics range.  Just not ready to drop 50-90K anytime soon.  40K would go a long way in restoring the 4-wheelers I already own.

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 05:52:39 PM »
Not me.  Imagine coming home with only a partial charge left and then getting a call requiring travel over a distance.  After working at the Chevy shop I became a fan of the Volt - your are propelled by electricity, no battery charge worries and your charger is under the hood.

I'll bet the folks in the Tallahassee area are not wishing for an EV right now.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 06:03:01 PM »
I'd be okay with a hybrid, but no interest at the moment in anything all electric.  Wait until 2050, they'll be outlawing EVs and the only thing you'll be allowed to get will be solar!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 09:10:52 PM »
I think Teslas are neat, however I'd take a hybrid of a EV.

What scares me is all these electronics that are controlling braking and steering systems.  I don't know enough of it.

Many of them will re direct you if you are getting off the road or into the other lane slightly. My fear is that these systems may fail is there a failsafe? I'm assuming the steering is still manual with just extra valving in somif the system fails you can still steer manually?

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline geneg

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 11:09:56 AM »
Not me!   

I don't feel confident that the bugs are out of the electronics and also feel that the support structure is not consistent across America.  I also would be concerned with the situations described by stokester.

Finally,  I absolutely do not want something forced upon me for my own good!  The political elite criss crossing the country & travelling the world are NOT utilizing EVs.  Although, they think we should.   Short rant-----------------don't get me started & get off my lawn!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 12:22:07 PM »
i drove a hybrid toyota van from ft myers to minneapolis a couple years back. i did not like the van but the technology seemed ok and it got good mileage.

i could drive a hybrid if i found one i  liked and was not overpriced for the benefit.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 06:41:13 PM »
I thought of all the pros and cons for an EV. The issue I have with a hybrid is that you have an internal combustion engine to deal with. Plus a major investment of a replacement battery in 8 to 10 years. However the NiMH battery that most hybrids use is far less dangerous  than a Lithium. I experienced what a one pound Lithium battery could do first hand in my shop. And couldn't imagine what a 1,000 pound battery could do. If and when the EV day comes for me. It will be parked 100 feet away from my house with a long run of charging wires.

I was told that adding three layers of 5/8” X fire-rated drywall over the one layer I have now could do the trick. I've been close to a Tesla burning. Nothing compares to it... Would 2 1/2" of sheetrock keep the fire from spreading?