TOOLS AND THE SHOP > ANTIQUE/COLLECTOR TOOLS/BOXES/HAND ONLY

Identifying this roller tool chest.

(1/3) > >>

oldcarguy:

I picked up this well used roller tool chest fifteen years ago. It's been in one of my garages since. And only used to open and mix automotive paints on.. Looks like a real SnapOn; but could be a knock-off with snapon badges. It's 18 deep, 34" wide, and 36" tall with nine drawers.  The drawers move but need to be cleaned and lubricated. Then painted.. I tried to give it to one of my grandsons who is of age and really getting into tools. No go, he purchased a nice used one.. Not that I don't have enough projects. I may put some work and bring it back to life. 

There is an outlet in the top wired to a flush receptacle plug on the lower back side.

goodfellow:
Original Snap-On KR 300 series industrial Rolla-Bench. Mid-50s I would guess judging by the drawer pulls and the dual logo tags. It's an unusual item because the lower three drawers could be easily removed and made into a larger volume storage space. I'm not sure if SO also sold a fold-back drawer lid to cover the front opening once the lower drawers were removed.

The other unique thing is that some Rolla-Bench models had an adjustable gooseneck work light attached to the back of the unit to aid industrial line mechanics in doing on-the-spot repair work. Not that many of those around anymore -- AND they were specifically built to be moved all the time, hence they were made of stronger, more durable caster and frame support materials

Lookin4_67GalaxieConv:
Definitely not a knockoff, that's completely legit.  It's hard to find them period, let alone with all the drawers.  A very worthy restoration candidate, or you could try and see how well you could clean it up.

I picked this one up about ten years ago with the lamp.  I've dated it to about 1954.  I had the top box already.

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: Lookin4_67GalaxieConv on January 19, 2024, 05:29:02 PM ---Definitely not a knockoff, that's completely legit.  It's hard to find them period, let alone with all the drawers.  A very worthy restoration candidate, or you could try and see how well you could clean it up.

I picked this one up about ten years ago with the lamp.  I've dated it to about 1954.  I had the top box already.

--- End quote ---

Beautifull piece galaxie -- a true classic. The fact that you still have the light attached, and in working order, makes that a very rare bird indeed. Congrats!!

oldnslo:
The back will have an embossed part number. Perhaps KR xxxx or a variant of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version