Author Topic: New life for old tractors  (Read 10467 times)

Offline bmwrd0

New life for old tractors
« on: January 09, 2020, 08:18:24 AM »
Came across this article today, thought some around here (I know there is at least one tractor fan...) might find it interesting.

http://www.startribune.com/for-tech-weary-midwest-farmers-40-year-old-tractors-now-a-hot-commodity/566737082/

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: New life for old tractors
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 08:43:20 AM »
There is a lot of politics involved in the new AG machinery business. The large manufacturers are pushing legislation that would make it illegal for the owner to service his own equipment because of software copyright and license infringement issues. Hence, a lot of folks are buying older equipment.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 08:52:50 AM »
i can't argue. i have that same tractor in my shed  and it gets used. it has been here since 1980 and i can attest to it's longevity. it can be argued that alongside  a 4020, that is the best tractor john deere or possibly any mfg ever built.

like the article said. they are simple, durable and easy to maintain. parts are readily available. the biggest downfall to them is the lack of a good front wheel assist system. there are a few of them out there with a hydraulic drive system but  mechanical is all you see on modern tractors now.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 01:24:18 PM »
Interesting stuff, and nearly the same argument for buying a used car for $8,000 vs. a new car for $40,000.

A co-worker just spent forty grand on a new minivan.  I would never do that, not when you can buy an older one that's been well maintained for a fraction of that cost. 
boop/bop/beep

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 02:08:25 PM »
It really is shocking what some of these old machines are bringing. The 4xxx series JD's and Box Car Magnum's have done nothing but go up in price since the tier 3 and 4 emissions motors started coming out.............

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 05:21:01 PM »
Makes you wonder if it`ll ring a bell in someone's head.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 06:56:03 AM »
It really is shocking what some of these old machines are bringing. The 4xxx series JD's and Box Car Magnum's have done nothing but go up in price since the tier 3 and 4 emissions motors started coming out.............

i think the same can be said for the new holland genesis series tractors. they share many parts and came down the same assembly line as my cat challenger 55.

i have a neighbor  who just bought a white 6175. pre emission cummins engine, fwa, john deere made power shift transmission. he has a whole fleet of white tractors. that would be my least appealing choice but he loves them damn things.

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 07:42:13 AM »
i think the same can be said for the new holland genesis series tractors. they share many parts and came down the same assembly line as my cat challenger 55.

i have a neighbor  who just bought a white 6175. pre emission cummins engine, fwa, john deere made power shift transmission. he has a whole fleet of white tractors. that would be my least appealing choice but he loves them damn things.

White's are still very popular here in western OH, it suprised me when I moved here because I could not tell you where one was at in southern Indiana where I grew up.
I know that challengers seem to be holding value well unless you buy one that has been trashed like we did. But after alot of work we now have a very nice and comfortable machine, nice enough we have been kicking around the idea of getting a flat track 75 or 85. One other thing I have noticed on the used market is the value of nice late 80's Stigers/early 90's red Stigers and early 90's blue Versatile tractors, especially the 250-300 hp machines powered by 3306 cat and 855 cummins.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »
Ah yes. Can't argue with those older versatile and steiger tractors with  the smaller cat or 855 Cummins. Good  hp but usually not enough to tear the machines up.  Those old flat track 75s and 85s are good machines too if they have always been on a farm. Like any of them, run if they have been on construction.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 07:52:53 PM »

i doubt it. the hands are tied on emissions systems. the same could be said for trucks. you can buy a stripped down work truck but it still has most of the computer controls and emissions crap. the ones with bells and whistles  outsell them  by a huge margin. sadly we are stuck with bells, whistles and  emissions.

Offline john k

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 09:43:20 PM »
Case in point,  neighbor had a late model john deere tractor hooked to the cornplanter.  Warning lights come on, engine stops, dash says it is overheating.  Will not restart.  Dealer tells him he is so backed up it may be 10 days,til a tech can make it out.  He finishes planting with a 50 year old tractor, pulling a 55 year planter, watching his shiny, and immovable tractor sit, with corn growing around it.   

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 11:32:31 PM »
Case in point,  neighbor had a late model john deere tractor hooked to the cornplanter.  Warning lights come on, engine stops, dash says it is overheating.  Will not restart.  Dealer tells him he is so backed up it may be 10 days,til a tech can make it out.  He finishes planting with a 50 year old tractor, pulling a 55 year planter, watching his shiny, and immovable tractor sit, with corn growing around it.

Reminds me of America for eight years in the not so distant past.   :D
boop/bop/beep

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 10:31:03 AM »

One of our neighbors contracted use to finish his last 120 acres of planting this year for a nearly identical thing. What was already a horrible year for planting got worse for our neighbor when the 3 year old JD 8xxx planter tractor just shut off, no warning, he said it was like he reached down and turned the key off. Local Deere said they could be there in 8 days with the June 6th deadline for prevent plant 4 days away. Turned out it was a connection issue and and a simple cleanup and reconnect at the computer fixed the problem. He still has the tractor but last I talked to him he has been over hauling his old Case IH 8950 for back up and maybe even his prime machine.

The same movement is taking place in the used semi market. Anything built before 2001 tripled in value during the last quarter of 2017 when the eld laws went into effect and has done nothing but get worse. What was a $12,000 wore out tractor with 1.5 million miles that needed......everything, is now a $25,000+ that needs everything. An owner operator cant turn a profit when you have emissions equipment, def, and on board eld's.   

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 06:31:35 PM »

i doubt it. the hands are tied on emissions systems. the same could be said for trucks. you can buy a stripped down work truck but it still has most of the computer controls and emissions crap. the ones with bells and whistles  outsell them  by a huge margin. sadly we are stuck with bells, whistles and  emissions.
The ironic part is that emissions and EPA requirements is what standardized many of the engine codes and the connector requirements in passenger vehicles.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 08:51:17 PM »
When you get chargedb$350 just for a tech to hook up his computer and not even fix things it no wonder. I know I enjoy working on older equipment then brand new. More thought of longevity and ease of maintenance was out into engineering back then.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman