Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 670520 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1425 on: May 29, 2020, 09:15:28 PM »
Fuelled up my ute, currently my only source of transport, for the first time since 18 March!

How's the price of fuel on that side of the world?

Re-wired the kill switch on the wood splitter today and had a chance to use my new crimpers I got last month. I'm very impressed with the crimp! None of that that mushy feeling as the cheapie pliers slip around and squirt the insulation off. These have little dimples in the top die to keep the insulation in place. Nice solid compression and a tight squeeze around the strands. A joy to use compared to the stamped steel junkers I've always had.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1426 on: May 29, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »
We are finishing up stuffing a trans back into this thing.  Don't ever take this job at any price. 

Offline gtermini

« Reply #1427 on: May 29, 2020, 11:09:14 PM »
What's the parts bill up to on that trans? Deere is pretty proud of their parts and I knew a set of clutches ans separators for that was over $3k alone.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1428 on: May 29, 2020, 11:51:44 PM »
Seven clutches in the box and four were bad.  The 4 by 4 clutch was the best off.

We didn't see the parts bill.  He told us to get a list and they would fill it.

We have a JCB in the shop and they let the pride shine through too.  15 grand USD for a hydraulic pump, no loose parts available.  Through JCB at least.    A local supplier found seals for it at 200 usd for six small seals.  The owner was thrilled.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1429 on: May 30, 2020, 02:47:37 AM »
Fuelled up my ute, currently my only source of transport, for the first time since 18 March!

How's the price of fuel on that side of the world?

Unleaded 91 petrol is currently sitting at just under $2 a litre (US$4.60/gal). About $0.96/l of that is tax. Diesel is sitting at just under $1.20/l but is not taxed at the pump. Note that every major supermarket chain offers loyalty schemes that provide fuel discounts so the blue line on the graph is the discounted cost most people pay for fuel.

Offline walrus

« Reply #1430 on: May 31, 2020, 06:00:24 PM »
Spending most of every weekend at home due to stay at home crap has its advantages. Getting stuff done around home. I have an attached woodshed, with pass thru door into basement. Had home made barn door type doors into it. Might as well have a sieve as a door. Not heated space but cold air pours into mud room because of those doors. Decided to buy 42" insulated fiberglass door. Got it finished up today. Just need to stain clapboards.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:02:04 PM by walrus »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1431 on: May 31, 2020, 07:28:14 PM »
When I lived in cold weather we always kept the woodshed away from the house as vermin and other undesirable critters hung there as the wood cured.

Only brought in what we needed usually in frigid weather later on.
It wasn't really a rule, just what everyone did it seems. 

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1432 on: May 31, 2020, 07:43:11 PM »
Installed a big gulp, Roush server is down or shut down for the weekend. So soft tune is temporally on hold .... Monday :dance: can not drive it, would run lean . Oh the agony  :41:

LOL

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #1433 on: May 31, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
Trailed my motorcycle to the shop. Died and wouldn't restart while I was on a ride. Don't hear the fuel pump prime when you toggle the kill switch. Hopefully something simple.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline gtermini

« Reply #1434 on: May 31, 2020, 11:28:18 PM »
Hope it something simple, Muddy. They only break when you want to use them.

Got rid of literally a ton of crappy old bricks, broken cinder blocks, and random rocks. Put them on CL free, and had people begging to come get them, and I thought I was going to have to haul them away myself. I guess there's more deranged people out there than me.  :lol_hitting:

The old man was splitting some wood and the splitter decide to tear itself apart, so I airarced the cracked weld out and hot glued it back together. Hadn't run rod in a while, so it was good practice. 6010 root. LoHi two pass cap. Good to go for another few years.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1435 on: June 01, 2020, 12:32:42 AM »
Worked at 2:30 am, and slept when I got home   :NIGHT_1:
That's pretty normal for me, but what's not is the fact that I forgot it was my mom's birthday   :-[  :c023:
There weren't any plans anyways will all this virus stuff going on.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline walrus

« Reply #1436 on: June 01, 2020, 05:28:19 AM »
When I lived in cold weather we always kept the woodshed away from the house as vermin and other undesirable critters hung there as the wood cured.

Only brought in what we needed usually in frigid weather later on.
It wasn't really a rule, just what everyone did it seems.
Been burning wood all my life. Not worried about vermin, they run away when you bring wood in. Bugs are an issue but no wood goes into this area until we have had some killing cold weather. I have another area to keep wood until its cold.  This shed doesn't get filled like it used to. Its used for emergency wood, big snow storm or ice storm when I can't get wood in. Enough to keep me going for a week or 2.  I'm using a heat pump for some of my winter heating now and I'm planning on installing another mini split in downstairs. The long term goal is a 9kw solar ground mount to eliminate most of the wood needs.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1437 on: June 01, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »
 Server is up ........... HP is up ...........

Oh MY what a nice bump ……. RPMs shoot up, firmly pressing a driver in the seat.

:bravo_2:
Hand springs
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #1438 on: June 01, 2020, 10:41:12 PM »
About 6 years ago, when Olivia Aytch was 10, she painted her handprint on my truck. Today, all three painted their handprints.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1439 on: June 01, 2020, 11:23:24 PM »
Wow Papaw, that is something special. :bravo_2: