Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688666 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #465 on: December 27, 2018, 07:08:42 PM »
Better be getting those new tires in, Sam will have those old ones worn out in no time

He won't have time to wear them down on pavement, muddy will have that boy hitched to a plow turning dirt before New Years day!  :))

Time for a mini pull sled. ;D

Offline muddy

« Reply #466 on: December 27, 2018, 08:27:44 PM »
I was on Sammy duty today. So didn't get a whole lot done. Got the basement swept.

Also put up some peg board to organize my motorcycle equipment instead of it lying around on the futon.

I want to finish the rest of the walls off with peg board to help organize other things lying around.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #467 on: December 27, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »
Spent the day smoking briskets and pork butts with the good BIL. A fun day catching up on things.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #468 on: December 27, 2018, 08:58:58 PM »
It was a nice warm day, so I changed the oil on the entire family fleet. Also while Mrs GF is out of town, I washed her car and thoroughly cleaned the inside as well; it needed a good cleaning.

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #469 on: December 28, 2018, 09:39:59 PM »
Had a blizzard all day yesterday.  Spent the afternoon putting a Vintage Air Frontrunner accessory and serpentine setup on a Chevy 327 that will be going in our '60 IH pickup.  Swapped a couple different sets of valve covers onto the engine too just to see what looks good.  I'm not a fan of the t-bolt hold-downs, but they are handy for just holding the covers in place when swapping things around.

Scott

Offline muddy

« Reply #470 on: December 28, 2018, 09:44:07 PM »
A Chevy to repower the IH? That radio looks great in there!

Offline muddy

« Reply #471 on: December 28, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
Sammy helped with butchering today!

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #472 on: December 28, 2018, 09:50:12 PM »
You've got a good looking youngster, muddy!! 

The little 266 V-8 in our IH was long since locked up when we found it.  Since our intention was to build more of a hot rod than a restoration, it was an easy decision to swap engines.  I'm probably making 3 times the power of the IH engine for less than half the money to rebuild the IH.  The IH engine is still on hand if I want to build it in the future.

Scott

Offline john k

« Reply #473 on: December 28, 2018, 11:33:15 PM »
If you could have driven my 72 Travel-all,  you would be on the look out for a four barrel 394?.    But you can't go wrong on that Chevy.  Interesting belt drive unit,  never seen one. 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #474 on: December 29, 2018, 04:36:47 AM »
at least its an old school chevy. not one of these LS swaps.

Headed to Austin this morning to get the BIL on a plane home.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #475 on: December 29, 2018, 07:55:43 AM »
  Scott,
I'm with you on the T bolts, 50, early 60s, always lose and leaking. 327 should pep that IH right up.. Does the water pump rotation change on the serpentine setup? Vintage Air tells me you;re installing AC, the Frontrunner accessory and serpentine setup. That include the water pump, pretty slick ?

What's locked in the old motor, broke rod, old rusted sitting in the weather, or unknown at present?

Pep

Had a blizzard all day yesterday.  Spent the afternoon putting a Vintage Air Frontrunner accessory and serpentine setup on a Chevy 327 that will be going in our '60 IH pickup.  Swapped a couple different sets of valve covers onto the engine too just to see what looks good.  I'm not a fan of the t-bolt hold-downs, but they are handy for just holding the covers in place when swapping things around.

Scott
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:07:59 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #476 on: December 29, 2018, 08:55:57 AM »
  Scott,
I'm with you on the T bolts, 50, early 60s, always lose and leaking. 327 should pep that IH right up.. Does the water pump rotation change on the serpentine setup? Vintage Air tells me you;re installing AC, the Frontrunner accessory and serpentine setup. That include the water pump, pretty slick ?

What's locked in the old motor, broke rod, old rusted sitting in the weather, or unknown at present?

Pep

Scott

Pep,  we are not sure what is causing the IH engine to be stuck right now.  The Vintage Air kit included a new, short waterpump.  And yes, it does rotate "backwards" from a standard pump.  Not a big deal since we are going to run a big electric fan.  The kit is high quality and its reflected in its price.  :o  But, our heads don't have accessory holes and we would have been purchasing all the accessories anyhow.  By the time we would have rounded up accessories, pulleys, brackets etc and tried to make it all work together, it made a lot of sense to bite the bullet and go with a kit that included everything and was engineered properly from the start.

I'm a fan of the IH V-8s and have experienced them in Scouts, pickups and trucks and know first-hand the torque they produce and how bulletproof they can be.  In this application though, the Chevy made a lot of sense from a money, horsepower and weight standpoint.  Also, I'm not sure how well our Mustang II front end would have liked holding the weight of a big IH 345 or 392.  :o

Scott

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #477 on: December 29, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »
Waking up to out first deep freeze of the season. (Well, "deep" for us desert dwellers). My thermometer is holding at 30, but around the city they were forecasting temps down to 26. And every year they gotta tell people cover their pipes, bring in their pets, and check the carbon monoxide detector. The mountains around the city have snow (16" at last count), and the highs are not going to get much above 50 for a week. Roads are probably slick too, meaning every nutjob driver out there is going to be sliding around on their way to return gifts. Tonight is supposed to be a deeper freeze, so, I'll be on freeze watch with all the preventative measures in place.
Nothing like what it was about 6 years ago though when it dipped to 18 at the house. Pipes froze, the neighbors pipes burst, I was playing helpful neighbor with my trusty hair dryer defrosting valves before hundreds of gallons leaked. Got a plate full of brownies out of it.  ;D

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #478 on: December 29, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »
....... Pipes froze, the neighbors pipes burst, I was playing helpful neighbor with my trusty hair dryer defrosting valves before hundreds of gallons leaked. Got a plate full of brownies out of it.  ;D

Remember the good ol' days when we used to use our arc welders to thaw frozen copper or iron pipes? -- Those were the days!!!

Offline walrus

« Reply #479 on: December 29, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »
got my new service truck. Loading it back up is a pain in the butt. Lots of stuff not going back and some new stuff going on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk