Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688665 times)

Offline john k

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #510 on: January 09, 2019, 11:48:50 PM »
One piece driveshaft, so no carrier bearing.  Had both driveshafts out,  Ujoints ok.  Spun the front wheels to check CVC joints, OK,  swapped out both front tires with spare, no change.  Tires been on 20K miles, were balanced when installed. 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
Spent the day cleaning up the workbench. about every 6 months you go in and cleanup. one of my projects has been a comprehensive 1/4 drive box set. I need a few individual sockets. Where do you guys go for singles now that Sears bit the dust?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »
My local Lowes has open stock on CMan sockets and wrenches. Not sure about screwdrivers. The socket selection looked limited but I just kinda saw it didn't really pay any attention.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2019, 07:55:56 PM »
I'll give them a try. thanks.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #514 on: January 15, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »
Oof

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #515 on: January 15, 2019, 03:34:56 PM »
One piece driveshaft, so no carrier bearing.  Had both driveshafts out,  Ujoints ok.  Spun the front wheels to check CVC joints, OK,  swapped out both front tires with spare, no change.  Tires been on 20K miles, were balanced when installed.

wheel bearing? Not likely given your description.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #516 on: January 16, 2019, 02:26:25 PM »
Today was day 3 of getting my garage ready for the workbench.
It's storming here with pouring rain and Gusty winds, so I have to do everything with the garage closed which means a lot of shuffling  things around since I can't really take much out of the garage.

If it was just some rain I'd put the EZ-UP In the driveway to put things under but that's not going to happen, so I've just gotta do my best to put everything where it's going to be beforehand so I have  somewhere to actually build the thing.
I could wait for the weather to cooperate but i have to get it done while the garage is straightened out or it'll just get all messed up again  ;D

The plan is to go shopping tomorrow and build it on Friday, hopefully I'll have the garage ready by the end of the day tomorrow.

This is where I plan to put it, it's going to be 36" tall X 64" long X 30" deep.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #517 on: January 16, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »
H & S, is 36" tall going to be a comfortable working height for you? I have no idea how tall you are so I guess you know what will work for you.

I have never seen 8" of snow melt so fast before. The wind has been blowing pretty hard all day and the temp is 49 degrees at 1:45pm. I just cleared enough snow this morning for the wife to get out of the garage and for the short legged dog to get into the yard to do his business. I have been out clearing slush and have dry concrete out to the shop now.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #518 on: January 16, 2019, 05:49:31 PM »
H & S, is 36" tall going to be a comfortable working height for you? I have no idea how tall you are so I guess you know what will work for you.

I have never seen 8" of snow melt so fast before. The wind has been blowing pretty hard all day and the temp is 49 degrees at 1:45pm. I just cleared enough snow this morning for the wife to get out of the garage and for the short legged dog to get into the yard to do his business. I have been out clearing slush and have dry concrete out to the shop now.
I'm a short 5'6" so while 36" may normally be a couple inches low I plan to do most of my work sitting on a stool, the only standing work I plan to do would be at my vice which will be an additional 9" height at the jaws.
The vice may even be a bit high to sit at.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #519 on: January 16, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »
36 does sound a little tall. But it depends on what you are comfortable working at.

My benches I built were 32 and I am also 5'6".
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #520 on: January 16, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »
36 does sound a little tall. But it depends on what you are comfortable working at.

My benches I built were 32 and I am also 5'6".
I played with 32 and it seemed a bit short.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #521 on: January 16, 2019, 11:08:22 PM »
HnS,

Another point of reference... I'm 5'11" and my bench work surface is 34"h.  I never use a stool.  The top of my vise jaws are 9" above the work surface, or 43"h.  I can comfortably work at my vise and drill, grind, cut, file, bend, or weld.   Another point, I have a 1" thick rubber mat in front of my bench... that makes me 6' tall.

When I built my bench I played with it a lot.  I jacked it up in 1" increments and then put various objects (lawn mower, carburetor, alternator, tricycle, wagon, beer, etc.) on the work surface.  I then did a few operations on each object (i.e. loosen/tighten bolt, screw/unscrew a screw, drive a pin out and in.  All this to test the suitability of the finish height.  In the end, I left the work surface at 34".  For me it was a good compromise height.  And, I could always slip a 1" x  or 2" x board under the legs if I needed it for a special project.  So far, I haven't needed to do this in the 22 years since I built it.

Yet another point of reference... I have a second bench I built just for mounted power tools.  I have a smallish bench drill press, a bench arbor press, and two bench grinders mounted on this bench.  I have a peg board above this bench where I hang my angle grinders, corded drills, cordless drills, cordless impact driver, soldering gun, glue gun, heat gun, equipment toolage, grinding wheels, wire wheels, sanding disks, cut off disks, etc.   This particular bench is 8' long, 42" tall, and only 18" deep.  This bench is tall so I can stand up straight and can see what I'm doing with the bench mounted power equipment.  It may sound crazy, but it works very well for me.  The smaller hand-held power tools typically get used on my regular work bench, or on the garage floor, or out in the driveway.  I also have some folding saw horses and a half sheet of 3/4 plywood that I can use as a temporary fab table in the garage or driveway.

So, plan your bench(s) well and think about work flow and the tasks you're likely to be doing in your garage.  And, don't forget about electrical outlets, power strips, and task lighting.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:51:29 PM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #522 on: January 17, 2019, 12:28:31 AM »
HnS,

Another point of reference... I'm 5'11" and my bench work surface is 34"h.  I never use a stool.  The top of my vise jaws are 9" above the work surface, or 43"h.  I can comfortably work at my vise and drill, grind, cut, file, bend, or weld.   Another point, I have a 1" thick rubber mat in front of my bench... that makes me 6' tall.

When I built my bench I played with it a lot.  I jacked it up in 1" increments and then put various objects (lawn mower, carburetor, alternator, tricycle, wagon, beer, etc.) on the work surface.  I then did a few operations on each object (i.e. loosen/tighten bolt, screw/unscrew a screw, drive a pin out and in.  All this to test the suitability of the finish height.  In the end, I left the work surface at 34".  For me it was a good compromise height.  And, I could always slip a 1" x  or 2" x board under the legs if I needed it for a special project.  So far, I haven't needed to do this in the 22 years since I built it.
I'm glad I abandoned my very first thought of 42", I went down to 32" which seemed too short.
34" would be fine to and I think my measurements may actually give me a 34" height all said and done.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #523 on: January 17, 2019, 02:38:58 PM »
Out shopping today and making my HD run.
With all the wood, the screws, and the pegboard my total was $70 and change.
I thought about buying peg for the pegboard, but I've got just what I need to make them at home.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #524 on: January 17, 2019, 03:53:39 PM »

I thought about buying peg for the pegboard, but I've got just what I need to make them at home.

I did a whole write up of doing just that on the old site. like this.

If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.