Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688563 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #525 on: January 17, 2019, 10:26:03 PM »
Pics to come tomorrow, but my workbench is done.
I cannot pinpoint the exact problem area, but one side is about 1-1/2" less on the depth than the other ( obviously something is shorter , but I don't know what ). I believe it's probably the fault of the guy at home Depot who did the cutting, but it is what it is.
If it were perfect it wouldn't suit me anyhow.
I could probably take a bunch of screws out and make some kind of correction, but I already made some adjustments when I was putting it together.

All in all it seems sturdy enough and is level, that's the most important part I suppose.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rural53

« Reply #526 on: January 18, 2019, 02:33:38 AM »
After being stuck in the office for the last two weeks, I went out with my maintenance contractor to a large steel plate culvert that is getting a concrete lining in the base due to corrosion. The lining will come up to the horizontal row of bolts. The culvert is dammed off at each end and the stream flow is carried by the two 2' pipes hung off the roof.

Upstream dam

Mini excavator in the culvert to dig the sand and silt out. There is about 2' of material in the bottom of the culvert.

Contractor's Isuzu Elf work vehicle. No F350 type vehicles here.

The two 2' pipes are running nearly full.

In the wholesalers (booze shop) tonight; made in Lithuania, exported to the USA and re-exported to the bottom of the world for me to go "that's interesting" and buy one.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:40:30 AM by Rural53 »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #527 on: January 18, 2019, 07:55:01 AM »
Rural, amazing those 2 ft pipes carry all that water.  Digging the Elf.  Makes perfect sense.  We have no vehicles in the states like that, that I am aware of.  F350s and bigger abound and it makes me wonder if we are not missing out on some economy

Hofferwood, digging the pegboard set up.  I to am a big believer in pegboard over a bench but mine aren't near as full as yours.  When you are grabbing tools, do you ever feel its too crowded

Offline mrchuck

• 10-49
« Reply #528 on: January 18, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »
Having the air handler unit in the attic being replaced today.
The unit is Carrier and was Installed in 2006. The coils were leaking refrigerant.
We use the electric heating coils in it to heat the house in the Winter.
This works super.
The workers are still here, and it's getting close for them to turn the unit back on!
We're all bundled up in jackets and it is 35 degrees outside now. The first freeze will be tonight!
yes sir, no sir, no excuse sir

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #529 on: January 18, 2019, 03:59:28 PM »

Hofferwood, digging the pegboard set up.  I to am a big believer in pegboard over a bench but mine aren't near as full as yours.  When you are grabbing tools, do you ever feel its too crowded

Thanks Phil,  and no doesn't seem overcrowded. In fact I can look at a glance, and notice what's missing.   :)
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #530 on: January 18, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »
Still getting the garage situated.

I'm not done yet, but it's a start.

I have more wrenches to hang, but I need some S hooks doe the smaller ones and I need some more screws but the hardware is closed today for a big thing their having for a local police woman that was recently KIA.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #531 on: January 18, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »
That came out quite nice. Well done!
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #532 on: January 18, 2019, 07:01:40 PM »
Looks good on the workbench. Glad you decided to build your own. What a learning experience for you to do that. Are you glad that you built it yourself?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #533 on: January 18, 2019, 07:45:36 PM »
Good work! -- ya did good

Offline muddy

« Reply #534 on: January 18, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
Nice work, so work well for you! Have a place to lay thing out and work is a great addition to any garage.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline TR

« Reply #535 on: January 18, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »
I have used the pegboard hooks from ...DuraHook locking peboard system. It uses screws to keep the hooks from falling off the board.
I got mine at Menards

TR

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #536 on: January 18, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »
Looks good on the workbench. Glad you decided to build your own. What a learning experience for you to do that. Are you glad that you built it yourself?
Yeah I am, not just because I did it but also because one size fits all doesn't always fit everyone.
I measured and use a square and level, but it still didn't turn out perfect so it must be the fault of the guy at home Depot who cut everything for me.
I'm sure my math wasn't perfect either.

The pegboard hooks I made aren't great, so I'm going to have to figure something else out there when I can.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #537 on: January 18, 2019, 10:45:50 PM »
hickory n Steel

Hell yeah looks good, aren't you glad you made it yourself....  thumbs up!

Tonight, for me took the coupe out for a short spin. Checking out the new electric vacuum assist pump for the brakes.

First shot the old and new pump, sounded like a machine gun when pulling a vacuum. Imagine the sound of a 12v portable tire inflater, cause that what it is with a check valve. 

Learned of a new  vain style pump in use on new cars. Master power brake in selling this pump, a plug and play version... how about 450. And the kicker, if it fails it must be returned to them for repairs.... can you see not driving the car for at the very least 3 weeks .... no thanks

Being this was a stock GM pump, hunted one down, 125 from GM. Gathered some fittings, check valve, relay and pressure switch. Some quick mounting bracket building and we have a new quiet vacuum pump.

Its the little things that matter LOL

Success ....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:00:34 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #538 on: January 18, 2019, 11:11:20 PM »
Just sitting around counting my toes.

Damn....no wonder you’re so into shoes  :o

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #539 on: January 19, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »
Making a big pot of Pinto Beans to go with the cornbread I will make later.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk