Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688660 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #615 on: February 09, 2019, 09:06:05 PM »
heated shop is great. Spent the morning (38f and drizzling rain) laying in cowshit working on a tractor shifter. The guy had been using 2 crescent wrenchs for shifters and finally got it locked in 2 gears at once. All because the seat belt dropped down and hung up the shifter. Lets just take it apart and see how badly we can f@#$ things up.   >:(   Yeah he coulda called me last week when it was in the 70s but nooooo.  :-[ 

I added $100 to his bill just for the cowshit.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #616 on: February 09, 2019, 10:26:14 PM »
on the bright side, 20 below wind chill today, 70 in the shop.

Is that with just your radiant solar or are you using supplemental heat too?

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #617 on: February 09, 2019, 10:45:59 PM »
As well you should.

Offline walrus

« Reply #618 on: February 10, 2019, 05:06:15 AM »
on the bright side, 20 below wind chill today, 70 in the shop.

Is that with just your radiant solar or are you using supplemental heat too?
Solar had it at 50, saw collector temps over 100 yesterday but burning junk wood in the wood stove got it 70.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #619 on: February 10, 2019, 07:37:08 AM »
As well you should.

He was too kind ... 100 bucks for the cow shit, 200 for call out and 300  dumb-ass, that seems more fair somehow.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #620 on: February 10, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
I like the way you think Pepi. ;D

Offline mrchuck

• 10-49
« Reply #621 on: February 10, 2019, 12:26:33 PM »
Drove West 50 miles to Corsicana,TX. to a nice gun show. Did some trading, and sold a nice Browning shotgun.
Small show, about 100 tables, and lots of people and action.
Rainy and real cold today,so I won't drive back to it. Icy rural roads are NOFUN.
Texas gun shows are really nice.
yes sir, no sir, no excuse sir

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #622 on: February 10, 2019, 03:18:55 PM »
Took one look out the garage door this AM and drug the extension cord over to the snowblower and fired it up. The wind had drifted the snow as much as 8" so a shovel was out of the question. After the sun shining since 9am the sidewalks and part of the driveway is dry. I cleared the snow off the gravel at the entrance gate because I couldn't even open the gate due to drifted snow. All the remaining snow had now melted at the gate and I have to go back out and finish clearing the stoop at the man door to the shop since the sun is on it now.
Supposed to have more come in Wed and Thurs.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #623 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »
Bought out a small TShirt business, augmenting my existing business.  I stand to quadruple my investment through selling the shirts and still wind up with more than the initial investment in equipment.  Loaded the pickup to the gills today, one more load next week.  Won't happen overnight but this year is starting a lot better than last year did so I'm confident!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #624 on: February 11, 2019, 11:19:24 AM »
Picked up an Orange Matco double bay full of tools and 3 large totes of tools in blow molded cases on Friday.

Made an offer on them just before Christmas and he turned me down.  Saw he had reposted them, sent him a text and he said come pick them up.  Apparently he didn't believe me when I told him its hard to find people with big cash to spend on tools boxes and tools.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #625 on: February 11, 2019, 01:37:46 PM »
Picked up an Orange Matco double bay full of tools and 3 large totes of tools in blow molded cases on Friday.

Made an offer on them just before Christmas and he turned me down.  Saw he had reposted them, sent him a text and he said come pick them up.  Apparently he didn't believe me when I told him its hard to find people with big cash to spend on tools boxes and tools.

I'm sure you did well on the deal Phil. I'm alway surprised when sellers expect to get near retail on large collections.

Buying high-end tools and expecting them to be a retirement investment guarantee is not always the most prudent strategy.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #626 on: February 13, 2019, 06:32:56 PM »
My wife uses a walker called a Medline Rollator. One of the rear wheel bearings gave up. I took it apart and saw the problem. New wheel assembly 30- 50 bucks? Not me, no way for just a bearing. Fastenal has a store here in town and I ordered 4 of them at $1.20 each.

Went to pick them up and the guy I placed the order with was not in, but my order was there. The clerk brought out 4 boxes of the little bearings! Mind you these are 8mm by 22mm bearings.

The 4 boxes contained 25 each! The clerk insisted it was correct and the price was correct at a total of $5.20 with tax!

I told them they were losing money. I have replaced the bearings and called  them to see if they want the other 96 bearings returned. Their comment was - Two choices- 1. Keep them since it was their mistake, or 2. Bring them back so their inventory will be correct.

I took them back. I remember a guy in the parts department of Stubbs Cycles in Houston that ordered a small part from Honda, but entered the wrong part # and we got 25 left engine cases for a Honda 90 ! He wouldn't admit his mistake and the store was left holding the parts for ever !
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #627 on: February 13, 2019, 06:47:59 PM »
Great move Noel -- Good karma will come your way.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #628 on: February 13, 2019, 07:20:29 PM »
yup, good karma for that.....

Now, your Fastenal sells individuals?  My local Fastenal only sells by the box. I needed two 3in X1/8 roll pins. they only come in bags of 100. WTH am I going to do with 98 3in rollpins?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #629 on: February 13, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
. WTH am I going to do with 98 3in rollpins?

You could sell them two at a time to people needing two. Or do an art project with them. Or you could have the great roll pin giveaway and have a contest winner gets 98 3 x 1/8 roll pins.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.