Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688655 times)

Offline muddy

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #945 on: October 01, 2019, 09:00:52 PM »
worked, then removed the rotted brake lines on my pickup. After removing them i see that they are bubble flare so now i gotta find someone with a bubble flare tool or see if their still available from Mopar.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #946 on: October 01, 2019, 09:35:57 PM »
Good luck with Mopar, they wanted $200 for the trans cooler line on the 98 farm truck. I told the parts guy it wasn't leaking that bad and I could buy lots of ATF for $200. ;D

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #947 on: October 01, 2019, 11:06:48 PM »
worked, then removed the rotted brake lines on my pickup. After removing them i see that they are bubble flare so now i gotta find someone with a bubble flare tool or see if their still available from Mopar.

Take your pick, cost does not seem out of line. Never knew such a flare existed.

https://www.amazon.com/bubble-flaring-tool/s?k=bubble+flaring+tool

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #948 on: October 02, 2019, 07:20:56 AM »
Fatman has bubble flare kits as well as auto brake bleeders >:D

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #949 on: October 09, 2019, 11:18:19 PM »
This is taking up my time at the moment , a month into 3 months milk season , running 24/7 with 3 drivers . New to us Swedish Volvo truck, 540hp fully auto transmission, running at 46,000 kg , hauling 28,000 litres of milk .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #950 on: October 10, 2019, 05:35:37 AM »
Makes me thirsty, slick rig. How many cows does it take to fill that thing.....?  Is there refrigeration, what keep the milk fresh? Auto transmissio I bet it a huge blessing, love the background seen.

Pep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #951 on: October 10, 2019, 07:57:07 AM »
What is milk season?  I figured cows gave milk all year long :-[

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #952 on: October 10, 2019, 08:23:35 AM »
Chinese quality Pep -- I have a similar (but more basic round column) machine from HF. They do what they are designed to do, but quality and durability was always an afterthought. Good luck!

....The HF has a geared drive ?

Yes, for years HF sold a red colored geared head mill/drill with a round column. It cost a few shekels more than the standard "green" belt driven model, but was much easier to control on heavy cuts.

Works well enough for my needs, but definitely NOT something you'd see in a professional shop.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:33:14 AM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #953 on: October 10, 2019, 10:43:03 AM »
Nice Volvo.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #954 on: October 10, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »
 Never crossed my mind, that a bench mill would compare to a knee mill. Quality and durability.. Learn the limitations and adjust, can and will produce predictable and repeatable quality.
Durability, is on the user I've known people that can destroy a hammer. What i just said is unless someone misuses or abuses a tool.  They will run for a good while.

More of these kind of things are directly controlled by the owners. As one that services cars, you know exactly to what I speak.

I am seeing one of those 3 lamp, pole lamps hanging up and to the left. I turned one into a drop light of sorts, using LED bulbs. Really came in handy rebuilding the windows and regulators in the coupe last year.

Chinese quality Pep -- I have a similar (but more basic round column) machine from HF. They do what they are designed to do, but quality and durability was always an afterthought. Good luck!

....The HF has a geared drive ?

Yes, for years HF sold a red colored geared head mill/drill with a round column. It cost a few shekels more than the standard "green" belt driven model, but was much easier to control on heavy cuts.

Works well enough for my needs, but definitely NOT something you'd see in a professional shop.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #955 on: October 12, 2019, 01:27:33 AM »
Found some good tools at Goodwill, bought my dad dinner at Red Lobster, then spent a couple hours making a sheath for my Buck 102 woodsman to have it sliced right through by the tip of the blade the first time I inserted the knife.
 I knew I've been doing a good job of keeping a proper safe and sharp edge on that blade like i do a my knives, but I didn't even know it had went through that 8oz veg tanned leather till it pricked my finger.
That canted blade they've had since the 60's or so really changes how you go about making a sheath with a proper fit that also doesn't look funky.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #956 on: October 12, 2019, 06:04:50 AM »
Not much of a knife guy, but would like to some pictures of what you're talking about. Have the idea, vague on the funky sheath part.

Pep

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #957 on: October 12, 2019, 10:30:27 AM »
Not much of a knife guy, but would like to some pictures of what you're talking about. Have the idea, vague on the funky sheath part.

Pep
Here's the little 102 woodsman

And the sheath I originally made for a different knife and have been carrying it in temporally.

And the knife I originally made it for.

With that upward cant to the blade the tip is at real risk of cutting into the leather unless the knife has plenty of room inside the sheath, I'll probably make the next sheath with a plastic liner like most factory Buck sheaths have these days

I want the sheath to have a decent fit while still accommodating the blades angle and not look abnormal compared to a  sheath I'd Normally make for a typical knife with a parallel blade.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #958 on: October 12, 2019, 08:02:18 PM »
What do you do with an old 3 light pole lamp?  Make a drop light out of it of course.

Cardboard is still my favorite creeper.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 08:04:51 PM by pep »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #959 on: October 13, 2019, 03:33:42 AM »
Rotors and brake pads on the front of my ute was an excuse to buy one of these.

Then

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk