Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688581 times)

Offline muddy

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1050 on: November 20, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »
My uncle had a set up and I've always wanted one as well. Being N scale (second smallest scale) this is a bit fragile for a 2 yr old. I have a G scale Polar Express set to go under the tree that he can enjoy this year. Down the line Sam might get an HO set. Well see how his interest is in a few years.

Sam got me back into trains, always loved them and I use him as a enabler bto go see them :))

My friend got me back into train modeling he was an engineer for Norfolk and Southern and a big modeler. It'll make a good winter time hobby.

Phil hope your son got the truck cheap, sounds like he threw everything but the kitchen sink into it lol.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1051 on: November 21, 2019, 12:37:22 AM »
Got to work this morning and walked around to the passengers side of my ute to get my gear out (I've been at training for temporary barrier design for the last couple of days, so have laptop, PPE, boots as well as my normal work bag) and hear hissing!

Front tyres were replaced last Monday and are about 500km old. Decided to deal with it after work.

Left work early. Backed it off the kerb, chocked it, threw the trolley jack under it, put the spare on and dropped the tyre off at my tyre guys. They will fix it and I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1052 on: November 21, 2019, 07:45:02 AM »
What rotten luck Rural. Sorry to see a new tire get trashed like that. At least it's well within the tread section and fixable.

Good luck!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1053 on: November 21, 2019, 08:35:56 AM »

Phil hope your son got the truck cheap, sounds like he threw everything but the kitchen sink into it lol.

$500 for the truck.  I would have left it there but in near term hindsight, he learned a lot, accomplished putting a truck together, and got the exact model, power train he wanted.  He did throw a lot of parts at it, but if it lasts for several years without major failures, he will have done fine.  It will need a clutch down the road.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1054 on: November 21, 2019, 08:41:58 AM »
It seems as if new tires are magnets for a puncture. The wife put a set of Yokohamas on the Tribeca last fall and picked up a long screw in less than a week in one tire.

Muddy, N scale is a little small for a 2 yr old but the Atlas stuff is pretty tough and not as fragile as the more expensive trains. It doesn't take much space to have a small portable layout for Sam to have fun with.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1055 on: November 26, 2019, 05:35:44 PM »
Got the firewood stocked and snowblower ready to go in preparation of the series of storms starting this afternoon. Single digit temps for lows the next couple of days with highs of maybe 32 if we are lucky through Sunday. The 8 day forecast has a chance of snow every single day. Donner Pass on I-80 is already closed due to multiple spinouts.  It will be a circus up at Lake Tahoe with the holiday and all the out of towners showing up to go skiing and such.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1056 on: November 26, 2019, 06:23:01 PM »
Two weeks ago I was checking all the vehicle tires for proper inflation, and just for grins decide to check the van spare. Totally flat! Since the rim is new (replaced the OEM donut spare last tire change) took it back to the auto shop. They were booked till today.
The young guy sprays soap solution over the tire - finds the wheel weight clip where it interfaces the tire bead is leaking! Remove and remount the tire, making sure the bead interface is OK. Only 20 minutes and $10 but dang! here I am driving around thinking I'm covered and the things been flat for several months.  :o

Offline muddy

« Reply #1057 on: November 26, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »
Putting a decoration for the house together.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1058 on: November 27, 2019, 10:34:39 PM »
We worked to mid afternoon then knocked off and went to the races for our section Christmas function.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1059 on: November 30, 2019, 02:09:36 AM »
Had Friday off and went to Auckland. Visited the NZ Sigma agent (the main lens I use) to get the focus checked. Unfortunately their tech was sick and they don't have a dock for a Pentax camera so it will have to be sent to Australia in the New Year.

In the afternoon I did the tour of the only sugar mill in the country. This was the only "industrial" tour we didn't do when I was at primary school, the best one being the Tip Top ice cream factory tour.

Recon-ed this mornings sunrise photo shoot, Ate too much for dinner and hit the sack early. This morning the alarm went off at 4am to be on location before 5am.

Had breakfast in a cafe, checked out of the motel and headed to scrutineer training at the Chief Technical Officers workshop. Sat in his workshop from 9:30 with scrutineers from all the other clubs while we discussed the rules, had a BBQ lunch then scrutineered a couple of sample cars.

Headed home and am now editing photos from this morning.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:13:28 AM by Rural53 »

Offline muddy

« Reply #1060 on: November 30, 2019, 02:20:31 PM »
Bought and stacked a 1/4 cord of wood. Put the lawnmower away for the winter. Decorated the inside of the house for Christmas. Brought the snowblower in my basement shop for going over before the bad weather hit.

Tonight we're going to do some shopping and going to a Christmas light display, Sam really loves the lights

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1061 on: November 30, 2019, 08:00:13 PM »
put the lawnmower away??? I mowed my yard again today. Mostly mulching up leaves but the seedheads were looking pretty scraggly too.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1062 on: December 01, 2019, 12:54:25 PM »
Bought a Christmas tree, it wasn’t to heavy.   :))
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1063 on: December 01, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
Bought a Christmas tree, it wasn’t to heavy.   :))

They get heavier every year Bob -- or more likely, I get weaker. Bought two yesterday, and the tree lot was in a frenzy. Damn things are getting expensive. Apparently there's a shortage this year.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1064 on: December 01, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
Putting a decoration for the house together.

Electric trains and kids -- what a great combo! Sam's gonna love it!