Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688632 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1215 on: March 13, 2020, 11:11:22 PM »
I'd say that paint is holding up pretty well.

LOL -- it's holding up, but barely. It's cheap Tractor Supply Valspar Alkyd Enamel -- the red pigments in this stuff don't stand up to intense sun, weather, and organic bird droppings. I knew that from the start, but at the time when I bought this paint back in 2011, it was $35/gallon. Good enough for a cheap respray. It cleaned up this old rust bucket truck for a few years, and made it look good. Surprisingly the white pigment Valspar Alkyd enamel paint that on this truck is still glossy and looks like new. Sun and weather have had very little effect.

The truck isn't garaged, and it sits out in the open all year long. So, I'm not surprised at the fading red pigment.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:15:00 PM by goodfellow »

Offline walrus

« Reply #1216 on: March 14, 2020, 04:48:56 AM »
Id be super embarrassed if you saw what my Plymouth looked like....

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman
I doubt you are the only one  :)

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1217 on: March 15, 2020, 05:36:48 AM »

Walrus is right, we are all embarassed for you Muddy :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #1218 on: March 15, 2020, 08:09:18 AM »

:)) when it gets to 300,000 miles it'll get a spray bomb job. That way it actually has paint everywhere.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1219 on: March 15, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »
I said the same thing ,at 300K i'll reapint it. Then I priced the paint...  :o Truck wasn't worth what the paint would cost.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1220 on: March 15, 2020, 10:10:27 AM »

:)) when it gets to 300,000 miles it'll get a spray bomb job. That way it actually has paint everywhere.

Use a foam roller -- that method seems to work real well. Seen a lot of fairly good pait work done with foam rollers and cheap Tractor Supply machinery paint.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #1221 on: March 16, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
Jockeyed a bunch of my junk around and pulled the boat out to charge the batteries. Going to hit Tillamook Bay on Sat or Sun and try for some crab and rockfish. Forecast calling for almost 60 deg and clear, plus the tide is only 4ft coming in from 6AM until 12 noon. Should be perfect conditions.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1222 on: March 16, 2020, 10:58:15 AM »
Good luck fishing, hope you do well.

Gotta love a fork lift for moving trailers around, can put them anywhere :051bye:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1223 on: March 19, 2020, 05:11:20 AM »
I've been running out of brakes in the RZR the last couple of times out, so tonight after work we flushed the old fluid out and replaced it. There was a fair bit of air in the system and the fluid definitely had seen better days.

It is not surprising considering how hard a life it has had. It has done about 130 hours and almost all of that is racing, being driven using left foot braking.

We are trying this as it has a higher boiling point than the spec'ed DOT4 fluid.

Hopefully they don't cancel the trail ride we are going on between now (Thursday night) and Saturday morning.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1224 on: March 19, 2020, 01:49:12 PM »
I wasn't expecting to wake up to plenty of snow. I guess old man winter wanted to remind us that spring doesn't start until this evening. I was able to get some of it with the snow blower but as it is Sierra Cement the blower started trying to shoot bricks so it is a shovel for most of it. Taking a break and have about 500 sqft in front of the shop to do. That is where it drifted the deepest right in front of the big door.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #1225 on: March 19, 2020, 02:03:15 PM »
We have a large job coming up, where the facility, has since day one have burnt oil, they now want to have the ability to burn either oil or natural gas. The area does not have natural gas, too mountainous, too few people and a poor utility infrastructure. They have decided to set the facility up as a burner of compressed natural gas, trucked to the facility in specially designed tank trailers. The compressed natural gas station, will have 10 tanker bays, with tank trailers in transit on a daily basis.

The original burner was sold as an oil burner with the possibility of future gas hook up. The original seller, sold the burner with the gas ring, but none of the other parts of the necessary for gas operation, so I’ve had to fabricate multiple pieces to get the burner set up for gas operation.

The needed (40) 3/8” stainless steel pipe x 4-1/4” gas spuds with (10) 3/16” gas holes, in a diamond pattern, with a sealed top.

I started with (40) 3/8” x 5” stainless steel nipples, then cut to the correct length, the holes drilled, the end of the nipple tapped for a 1/4” npt stainless steel pipe plug, the cut off flush, then faced in the lathe. The next set is for a smaller burner, so the spud sizing and orifice size and pattern will differ.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:12:59 PM by GNAP »
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1226 on: March 19, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »
It would be very cool and a great learning experience to see you crank out these parts Jack.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1227 on: March 19, 2020, 03:17:22 PM »
It would be very cool and a great learning experience to see you crank out these parts Jack.

+1  == great work

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1228 on: March 19, 2020, 04:15:14 PM »
Drilling and cutting stainless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ugh :c002: :38:

Looks like you did a great job Platty, that is a lot of work

Any idea of what the btu capacity of that boiler is.  It must be massive to require that large of spuds.  The typical size gas burner I work on is a measly 400,000 btu give or take and never more then 1 million.  32 spuds with itty bitty orifice size hole

Offline walrus

« Reply #1229 on: March 19, 2020, 06:21:54 PM »
Compressed natural gas trucks were a common site up here for awhile. Some  places needed 10 trucks a day. They were trucking it out of a compressor station in eastern Maine. All came up rte 9. The gas came from sable island. Dont see any now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk