Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688616 times)

Offline GNAP

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1230 on: March 19, 2020, 07:19:20 PM »
Drilling and cutting stainless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ugh :c002: :38:

Looks like you did a great job Platty, that is a lot of work

Any idea of what the btu capacity of that boiler is.  It must be massive to require that large of spuds.  The typical size gas burner I work on is a measly 400,000 btu give or take and never more then 1 million.  32 spuds with itty bitty orifice size hole

40 million BTUs (40,000 cuft/hr) or approx 950 boiler hp or 33,000#/hr (the capability to turn roughly 60 gallons of water into steam, every minute)
jack

Offline muddy

« Reply #1231 on: March 19, 2020, 08:34:03 PM »
Worked and gave Sam a haircut..... It'll grow back

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1232 on: March 20, 2020, 07:36:27 AM »
Drilling and cutting stainless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ugh :c002: :38:

Looks like you did a great job Platty, that is a lot of work

Any idea of what the btu capacity of that boiler is.  It must be massive to require that large of spuds.  The typical size gas burner I work on is a measly 400,000 btu give or take and never more then 1 million.  32 spuds with itty bitty orifice size hole

40 million BTUs (40,000 cuft/hr) or approx 950 boiler hp or 33,000#/hr (the capability to turn roughly 60 gallons of water into steam, every minute)

That is a lot of energy

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1233 on: March 20, 2020, 11:11:44 PM »
Took a ride up to HD after darkness set in and work ended.  Got a new doorknob for a bathroom that hinted at severe wear several months ago.  My wife wasn't amused with pull a string security after it failed fatally yesterday. 
Bitch all you want about HD but close to home and well stocked, open at 9 at night saves my projects.
And it was even the right one on sale.

Crossing the major four lane at night on a bike isn't for the easily scared, but its all part of the journey to HD.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1234 on: March 21, 2020, 05:20:45 PM »
Yesterday I went trail riding in the RXR. A local motorbike shop organised an event that used Burt's Brother's motocross trails, in pine forest, and the farm next door. The loop was 40 km with several short cuts out of it.

Went with Jason and Tania doing the 40km loop for a start. This included a couple of quite spectacular ridge climbs and a couple of stream crossings. there was also a gravel road section where we could open up to 120km/hr. We did a shorter 15km loop and a 30km loop that cut out the ridge climbs. Unfortunately I spiked a tyre 5km before the end of the last loop and that put an end to the day. I also appear to have broken a front axle, not surprising considering how dry the ground was and the fact that the motocross trails have lots of big jumps in them. That is today's job to deal with.

Jason and Tania's son was a Polaris factory race driver, so it was a bit of a meeting of the family with his first three RZRs all at the event. I now own his first one and his second and third ones now reside in the area.

One of the Can-am guys had this fancy jack that you wind up with the battery impact.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:23:39 PM by Rural53 »

Offline eborcim

« Reply #1235 on: March 21, 2020, 06:59:12 PM »

Use a foam roller -- that method seems to work real well. Seen a lot of fairly good pait work done with foam rollers and cheap Tractor Supply machinery paint.

Painted a couple racecars with that method.  Thin it enough to smooth out evenly and get good area coverage.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1236 on: March 23, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »
Caught this little devil in the neighbors place. hogs been tearing his yard up..

Hes chillin out in the ice chest now :spam1:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1237 on: March 23, 2020, 09:59:11 PM »
Got a Diamond 10" adjustable wrench that was my dads. Trying to clean it up and make it useable. Has his initials punched into it, so it'll be a wall hanger.

It's got the remnants of the green vinyl coating - MAN is that stuff tough! (Finally got it all off with Berryman's aerosol carb cleaner).  Managed to get the screw pin out so I could thoroughly clean everything, plus re-faced the jaws. Gonna re-assemble tomorrow. I'll post finished pics later.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1238 on: March 25, 2020, 06:45:29 PM »
Been working on a secondary smaller work table / area out in the garage.
The big one is really filling up with power tools like my drill press, scroll saw, bench grinder, and belt grinder.
I needed something that can stay a bit cleaner for more of the more fiddly tinkering side of things such as repairing and resealing vintage airguns.

The shelf thing has been there a while ( part of an old bed ) , the " workbench " is just a cheap HF folding saw table I got for Christmas a couple years ago.
The particle board top went bad so i just removed that, attached a couple pieces of 1/2" ply, and bracketed it to the wall.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #1239 on: March 25, 2020, 10:29:40 PM »
First day stuck home due to the kungflu happenings. Better start chipping away at the big projects at home. This trailer has fender taller than the deck that are a giant pain. I'm gonna cut them down to be flush with the decking. There'll still be plenty of room for the suspension travel and tires to clear. Got to try out my new plasma. I forgot how much nicer they cut than the gas ax.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1240 on: March 26, 2020, 09:57:07 AM »
Installed jack rails, protects the pinch welds, using a floor jack.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1241 on: March 26, 2020, 12:48:54 PM »
Working on the Lincoln 225AC tombstone welder my sister gave to me. The angle iron caster cart frame was tack welded to the welder housing so I had to grind the welds to remove the cart to open the rear cover. Plenty of spider webs and dust to blow out now that it stopped snowing. I also took loose the leads so I can cut back to good insulation and put new terminal lugs on there. You can see in the pic how the insulation is gone where the leads enter the housing and somebody siliconed the heck out it. I sure didn't like bare leads so close together and close to the housing. If this was going to be my primary welder I would lay out the bucks for new cable but I have plenty of rolls of electrical tape to make them safe.

I had never looked at the inside of a welder before. I had no idea that the ground clamp cable is hooked to the amperage selector and the electrode holder cable to the transformer or is that a ground strap?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1242 on: March 26, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
For AC I don’t think it matters which way

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:28:18 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1244 on: March 26, 2020, 02:39:09 PM »
I saw that video and some others. I'm not changing anything other than cutting back the leads to good insulation adding new lugs and cleaning the inside of the housing. I saw where one guy greased the heck out of the amp selector contacts with Mobil grease. Seems like that would collect dirt and cause more wear. These contacts look good and I'm leaving them alone.