Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688574 times)

Offline GNAP

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1335 on: April 25, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »
As my grandfather told me, “ wherever you be, let your pee run free”

I bet mother was so proud, like father, like son.....
jack

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1336 on: April 25, 2020, 11:23:16 PM »

Jaf............ your a nut.

With fine threads.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #1337 on: April 26, 2020, 12:36:02 PM »
I buzzed all my hair off yesterday, I've been thinking about it for 2 weeks. The wife was not hip on that idea.

I had a normal haircut, just above the ears, but when it was starting to look shaggy, I though why not buzz it all off? We're talking down to the scalp, only a razor protects me from bare skin. Its taking some time to get used to it, but I thought why, not? It'l grow back.

Corona cut!

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1338 on: April 26, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
When I made my tandem bikes cost on parts was kept to an absolute minimum.  That resulted in some rusty and tweaked rims being used.  This morning I trued one, only breaking four spokes.  The exact number of spares left in my junk pile. 
The rear rim was far better and none broke.    Changed off a wonky tire for a slightly better one and we set out to check it.  My son says it wobbles far less and is easy to control now. 

The front wheel in its entirety  on the bigger tandem is junk.  Axle bearings to tire.  No fantasy or skill will fix that.  A new 24" wheel has been ordered.  Tire and all new.   

I have had odd hobbies but building ridiculous bikes from junk is probably the most fun.

Got the weed whip out and hit  the small not yellow patch of lawn, put the headboard on the new bedframe finally .

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #1339 on: April 26, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »
If you cannot piss of the front porch its time to move!!!! :c029:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1340 on: April 26, 2020, 03:53:04 PM »
painted the drawers today. should be about done with this one.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1341 on: April 26, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
not too bad, still need a few little things and gotta figure out what to do with the front cover. the original was all jacked up. probably make another one

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1342 on: April 26, 2020, 10:01:14 PM »
Nice work as that looks good.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1343 on: April 27, 2020, 07:36:36 AM »

I have had odd hobbies but building ridiculous bikes from junk is probably the most fun.

I can identify with that to some degree.  I enjoy refurbing old tools.  It doesn't make economic sense because I will have more time in them then I can sell them for and I certainly don't lack unprocessed inventory to clean, price and display, but you get a sense of satisfaction from saving something from the scrap pile.

Prime example yesterday.  Have a 40 oz ball peen that really feels good in the hand.  But, the wedge is gone and someone had taken 2 flat washers and pounded them into the handle to secure the head.  Now I had messed with this hammer before and couldn't get the washers out and put it in the go to auction pile.  Saw it yesterday, picked it up and thought, man this hammer feels good.  Noticed the washers and said crap.  Well, give it one more shot.  10 minutes later, had the washers out.  Now it goes home where I have my hammer wedge collection to be fitted with a proper wedge, then I can put a $10 price tag on it and hopefully sell it.  Have a least half an hour in it if not more but darn it feels good in the hand :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1344 on: April 27, 2020, 11:33:09 AM »
I'm the same way, Phil. Just rubs me the wrong way to throw something in the trash or scrap bin if it can refurbed or repaired. Usually not worth it from a financial or time standpoint, but the personal satisfaction alot of times is immeasurable. If I ever start to waver and toss away more things I watch some of the Youtube guys and get motivated to start fixing things up again.

Especially with modded tools. A buddy of mine has said I come up with solutions to problems that don't exist, but, whatever.  :lol_hitting:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1345 on: April 27, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »
I put all modded tools I get into a box.  Wrenches bent or cut, sockets shaved down, homemade crowsfeet etc.  $1 a piece on most.  Had a regular come in the other day looking for an angle wrench and I didn't have the size he needed except in a set.  Grabbed a cheap 7/16's and asked me to fire up the torch and bend it (which I would have done) but I said lets look in the modded box.  2 seconds in and he had the wrench he needed plus another.  Came back later and bought a few more.  I kidded him and said it's his new favorite box.  He agreed.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1346 on: April 27, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
I buzzed all my hair off yesterday, I've been thinking about it for 2 weeks. The wife was not hip on that idea.

I had a normal haircut, just above the ears, but when it was starting to look shaggy, I though why not buzz it all off? We're talking down to the scalp, only a razor protects me from bare skin. Its taking some time to get used to it, but I thought why, not? It'l grow back.

Corona cut!

Been doing that every few weeks for years, couple months ago the boss asked me where I get my hair cut.
I told him I'm not paying sole guy $10 to do what I can do myself at home in just a few minutes.

Oh and today I finally got around to cutting the scrap chip board for the floor in my shed.
I'll maybe finish installing it today then tomorrow I'll think about filling the thing with some of the junk that's cluttering the place up.
Maybe I'll finally have a permanent place to put my airgun cabinet.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:41:25 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1347 on: April 27, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
I'm the same way, Phil. Just rubs me the wrong way to throw something in the trash or scrap bin if it can refurbed or repaired. Usually not worth it from a financial or time standpoint, but the personal satisfaction alot of times is immeasurable. If I ever start to waver and toss away more things I watch some of the Youtube guys and get motivated to start fixing things up again.

Especially with modded tools. A buddy of mine has said I come up with solutions to problems that don't exist, but, whatever.  :lol_hitting:
It makes financial sense to me if I can have some fun and have an American made tool for less than the cost of a Harbor freight import.

A few years ago I brought my go box with me to fix something for my cousin and he looked at my tools and was amused by how old all my tools were he said " all your tools are hella old, that's so boss " .
That means cool I guess  :smiley_confused1:
I just know they're better and less expensive than most of what I can afford today.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1348 on: April 27, 2020, 08:05:52 PM »
I'm in the save it if you can camp as well. It is not about the money it's about wasting something that is still useful.

Just seems wrong to toss stuff with life still in it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1349 on: April 27, 2020, 08:46:35 PM »
I'm in the save it if you can camp as well. It is not about the money it's about wasting something that is still useful.

Just seems wrong to toss stuff with life still in it.

Do you mind explaining that to my wife. ::)