Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688607 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1365 on: April 30, 2020, 08:43:41 PM »
That Schwinn is in pretty good shape for it's age. I always thought the sissy bar and banana seat are more appropriate on the Sting Ray.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #1366 on: April 30, 2020, 09:45:00 PM »
My new tires for the Heavy Duti are due to arrive on Friday. The whitewalls I bought 20 years ago have dried up to a crisp with not even a mile on them.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #1367 on: April 30, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »
Its a little more beat up than it looks in the pic, but here are some better ones

Its western Oregon, everything has a layer of rust. I went to look at it as a parts bike, but it was much more complete than I thought. Now I can't bare to break it up. It was named American because everything on it is made in the US, with nothing made in Europe on it. The guy I bought it from used it as a bar hopper until the tires stopped holding air. Seem fine to me.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1368 on: April 30, 2020, 11:14:06 PM »
Electro-welded steel frame. Heavy but bullet-proof.

As I recall back in the day Schwinn didn't only make their own bike frames - they made the tubes! They bought plate steel, bent them into 3 equal sections around a mandrel, then welded the strips together to make the tubes. Then they cut and fit the tubes to make the frames. I don't know when they ceased all-American production but I'm thinking early 1970's. That's when the French and Swiss parts began appearing on their bikes, with the ever present "Schwinn Approved" label. So I'm thinking your bike is 60's.

there's a website somewhere that allows you to date Schwinn frames by the serial number on them.

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #1369 on: May 01, 2020, 01:32:56 AM »
Ironically, my wife came home with this bike last week. From what I can tell it’s early 60’s. I have no idea why she wanted it.
Where’s Mike Vango When you need him.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #1370 on: May 01, 2020, 08:11:19 AM »
There should be a serial number on the left rear drop-out (where the rear axel goes in) and B-man is right, there is a website somewhere that will help you date it from that. Cool little bike though!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1371 on: May 01, 2020, 01:08:01 PM »
Gotta love the banana seat!  :D

Here's the site I was thinking of.

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes1.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:09:35 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1372 on: May 01, 2020, 01:52:58 PM »
I picked up this old Schwinn American over the weekend ($50) and started to get her up and rolling. Pulled off the sissy bar, banana seat and ape-hangers, put some things that look a little more age appropriate (its a '62) and took it for a spin around the block.

Forgot to get pics of it with the new seat, and the bars are a loaner from my Hercules project. I can't hit the used bicycle parts place until this whole idiocy is over, but I can put some things together to get going.
Now that's a bicycle right there, love the color too.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1373 on: May 01, 2020, 09:05:37 PM »
Ironically, my wife came home with this bike last week. From what I can tell it’s early 60’s. I have no idea why she wanted it.
Where’s Mike Vango When you need him.

Most likely down by the river, living in his van, got married wife took his key board???  :lol_hitting:
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #1374 on: May 02, 2020, 07:26:25 PM »
Mowed the lawn. Cleaned and added pavers around the fire pit. Transplanted some plsnts from the back of the house to the front.

Now relaxing drinking beer, beautiful night think I'll enjoy a cigar later.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1375 on: May 02, 2020, 09:16:22 PM »
A very light day at work and payday was nice.  Got home and pulled the drive train off my tandem bike and refit it to a higher gear ratio and moved the timing chain to the left side.  Made the chain tensioner easy to fit and smoothed out the entire.

I can now go faster than grandma and her walker.  I can keep up with a kid on a bmx bike now!  For a block or so.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:18:08 PM by strik9 »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1376 on: May 03, 2020, 10:23:51 AM »
Stores are starting to open up grabbed some red felt for the redone box. pimpin it up some.

Also scored a big portacool fan for the shop. local oilfield companies cleaning up and shutting down. :03:

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #1377 on: May 03, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
I fabricated some thin oak facing for my Pony wood vice. They protect woodworking project, not the vice. Seems its been sitting on my workbench for at least 5 years (according to the wood receipt from a scrap hardwood place).

Now, on to the Wilton version....

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #1378 on: May 03, 2020, 08:05:17 PM »
I have been down for about two months starting with a UTI and a few days in the hospital. Then a kidney doc rearranged my drugs and caused some problem. Weight climbed drastically and I began  swelling in the legs to the point that I developed open sores. My cardiologist has straightened it all out and I am getting better every day.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1379 on: May 03, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »
I have been down for about two months starting with a UTI and a few days in the hospital. Then a kidney doc rearranged my drugs and caused some problem. Weight climbed drastically and I began  swelling in the legs to the point that I developed open sores. My cardiologist has straightened it all out and I am getting better every day.

Best of luck to you Noel -- Prayers for a quick recovery.