Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688569 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1410 on: May 17, 2020, 11:39:28 AM »
Drive thru viewing sounds like a good idea. adapt, improvise, overcome.

A highschool buddys mom passed a while back we were able to attend the funeral but it was odd going into church with a mask on. Church required everyone to be masked.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1411 on: May 18, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
I like the polish so much I did the wife's truck. The full build thread was here in the garage gazette. From scrap to as seen now, the thread was lost. A decent back up would have prevented that.

The last picture is for Uncle Buck, being the inspiration.

Pep

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline ron350

« Reply #1412 on: May 18, 2020, 07:04:15 PM »
Pep very nice cars and garage. :93:

Offline john k

« Reply #1413 on: May 19, 2020, 01:10:14 PM »
Long story short, I visited a tower.  A-T-T tower, the big square type with the black microwave cones on the sides.  Fellow we were visiting had the keys, so the visit was legal.  Couldnt climb it as it was getting dark.  Did go into the control building, all concrete.  Most of the equipment was gone, save some big panels of vacuum tubes.  What he needed to inspect was ok, then asked if I wanted to see the genererator.  Sure, in another room were more control panels.  In deeper was a huge stand for the diesel and generator.  Temp, oil gauges, big manual controls very large  cartridge fuses , just as it was set up.  Inside a panel was a certified sticker, date........5-1952!!   The engine, Detroit Diesel, 2-71 or 2-53 thereabouts.   Output ,,30kilowatts.  Unbelieveable, complete, never rained on screaming jimmy, that looks ready to fire up again.  Fuel tank is gone, oil looked good, needed a ladder to look in the radiator, so couldnt.   Controller above the generator had 15+  snap switches with  contacts.  Ceiling is one foot of poured concrete.  No evidence of water damage anywhere.  Time capsule,  I think it could be slid out the walk door.  Interesting, very interesting

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1414 on: May 19, 2020, 04:54:34 PM »
So what's the scoop on the tower?  Decommissioned I assume. 

Offline john k

« Reply #1415 on: May 19, 2020, 05:14:51 PM »
AT T owns it but is decommissioned, is leased to a private cell company.  Am guessing the remaining equipment was writte  off long ago, maybe.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1416 on: May 19, 2020, 05:58:21 PM »
A 30kw Detroit??? :97: how much?? when can I come get it???

That would be a noisy devil and run thru the fuel but man it would run forever.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1417 on: May 25, 2020, 10:11:53 PM »
Did not let this day off so many sacrificed for us to have go to waste.

Put the window ACs in. Supposed to be in the 80s this week.

Repaired the Plymouth that died on me last week. (Distributor Rotor went bad.) Mowed the lawn.

Then cooked steaks over the fire and enjoyed the evening with my family.....until Mandy went through her chair :))

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1418 on: May 26, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
Sure hope you didn't chuckle with the chair mishap. 

I have broken one of those myself.  I have gone back to using the old school folding lawn chair.  While not as convenient to travel with, they are more comfortable 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1419 on: May 26, 2020, 06:11:16 PM »
Great pics Tim -- thanks for sharing a bit of the family festivities. As far as the chair incident is concerned, it seems that those Chinese canvas folder chairs last a few seasons and then they succumb to "crashed butt" syndrome -- LOL

Online gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #1420 on: May 28, 2020, 11:29:58 PM »
Spent about 6 hrs Fixing Or Repairing Daily on the old lumber wagon. Some arsehole before me had bent and kinked the transmission cooler lines to get them out of the way to do something and they were leaking. Got the replacement lines form some stealership off ebay. The design has changed to include a rubber section for easier, but not easy installation.

Dumped the fluid as well. Oil was pretty burnt smelling, probably from not making it through the cooler due to the butchered lines. Grew my ulcer a little as a few small metallic "pebbles" came out and there was some crap on the bottom of the case. Guess I'll just wait until it schits the bed to find out where the pieces came from. It's not in the cards to open that can of worms right now, and it'll cost a reman tranny either way. Hopefully it just keeps ticking along for umpteen hundred thousand miles.

Pulled the shifter to refill oil. Glad I did, as the breather was plugged solid with 20 yrs of dust and dirt. Just shy of 6 qts of Schaeffers All Trans Synthetic ATF. Never used it before, but I've always had good results with Schaffers products. It's about like water, but meets Mercon V as mother furd specs. Not horrible priced at $37/gal.

Offline walrus

« Reply #1421 on: May 29, 2020, 05:27:26 PM »
Long story short, I visited a tower.  A-T-T tower, the big square type with the black microwave cones on the sides.  Fellow we were visiting had the keys, so the visit was legal.  Couldnt climb it as it was getting dark.  Did go into the control building, all concrete.  Most of the equipment was gone, save some big panels of vacuum tubes.  What he needed to inspect was ok, then asked if I wanted to see the genererator.  Sure, in another room were more control panels.  In deeper was a huge stand for the diesel and generator.  Temp, oil gauges, big manual controls very large  cartridge fuses , just as it was set up.  Inside a panel was a certified sticker, date........5-1952!!   The engine, Detroit Diesel, 2-71 or 2-53 thereabouts.   Output ,,30kilowatts.  Unbelieveable, complete, never rained on screaming jimmy, that looks ready to fire up again.  Fuel tank is gone, oil looked good, needed a ladder to look in the radiator, so couldnt.   Controller above the generator had 15+  snap switches with  contacts.  Ceiling is one foot of poured concrete.  No evidence of water damage anywhere.  Time capsule,  I think it could be slid out the walk door.  Interesting, very interesting
AT and T built shit to last and always ready to go.  If you did tank work for them you had to use whats known as Rob Roy conduit. Galvanized pipe with a plastic coating on the outside and on the inside. Stuff never rots out, doesn't matter what its buried in.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1422 on: May 29, 2020, 05:59:40 PM »
Will have to look up Rob Roy conduit. We spec everything out for plastibond. but had one contractor set some fiberglass conduit. its been out in the south Tx sun for 10+ yrs and no degradation. Not sure how it would hold up underground tho

And it looks like Rob Roy makes plastibond. I didn't know that
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:05:08 PM by slip knot »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1423 on: May 29, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »

AT and T built shit to last and always ready to go.  <snip>

When the phone company was ATT the model was different. They sold almost no equipment they leased a service and whatever equipment was needed to provide that. Because they owned it all cost of ownership was more important than cost of acquisition so they could spend on the front end.

The original CO in downtown LA when I toured it still used the original cloth covered wire cables coming into the building. At that time some of it was over 100 years old.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1424 on: May 29, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »
Fuelled up my ute, currently my only source of transport, for the first time since 18 March!