Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688546 times)

Offline oldnslo

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1470 on: June 17, 2020, 06:41:52 PM »
I've patched more tires and tubes in my life to reach 1,000 patches or more. From bike tires from scads of decades from riding (I keep an ample supply of Tip Top brand patches on hand), to stocking 4 sizes of round patches for car/truck/tractor tires (all for my own fleet), and have collected all the proper Ken Tool and other assorted tire tools to complement my Coats Tireman Super Twin air machine (for home use of course).  :)

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #1471 on: June 19, 2020, 03:30:15 AM »
With the Covid thing happening, we’ve all been taking vacations at home this year , and local companies that have relied on the overseas tourists have been offering some great deals to us locals.... we’ve escaped work at home for the last few days ..... here’s  a pic or 3 to date.......
Took a flight up to the top of Franz Josef Glacier

Lake Matheson

Jackson Bay , South Westland .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1472 on: June 19, 2020, 03:34:58 AM »
 :08:

Like the old ad said "Don't see the world until you've seen the country"

Offline muddy

« Reply #1473 on: June 20, 2020, 07:45:28 PM »
Mowed the grass then played with my new freebie. Was out front with a free sign on it. So I loaded it up into the Plymouth!!!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1474 on: June 21, 2020, 05:21:33 AM »
On the Saturday before we went into lockdown at the end of March we went trail riding in our UTVs.  At the end of the day I broke a CV at the inboard end of the front axle. With all restrictions lifted we are going trail riding on Saturday and racing on Sunday so this weekend I replaced both front axles with after market ones.

I also replaced the brake pads and changed the oil in the front diff.

The most difficult bit was getting the broken axle out of the front diff. The spline of the CV is held in the diff with a split ring. Usually you just hail on the axle to pull the CV out of the diff. With the cage in the CV shattered the only thing connecting the the axle to the CV is the rubber boot. I cut the boot to free axle then careful levered between the CV and the diff to get it out.

Tools of the trade today.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:24:48 AM by Rural53 »

Offline walrus

« Reply #1475 on: June 21, 2020, 03:38:06 PM »
Up early, cultivated garden, let sprinkler run on tomatoes, watered an apple tree I planted. Mowed the lawn, had a fox running around. Loaded .22 but it left on its own accord :D  Spooked a Fawn that was laying in the woods waiting for Mom to come back. Put bush hog on tractor and mowed some of the field. Changed oil in Troy Bilt. Changed oil in Mustang.  Cooking lobsters for dinner. Cheaper than red meat right now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:39:38 PM by walrus »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1476 on: June 21, 2020, 03:57:12 PM »
Mowed the grass then played with my new freebie. Was out front with a free sign on it. So I loaded it up into the Plymouth!!!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Nice freebie Tim. I have a similar leaf sweeper -- once adjusted properly, it does a great job. It took some fiddling to get it to function, but well worth the effort.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1477 on: June 21, 2020, 04:00:19 PM »
On the Saturday before we went into lockdown at the end of March we went trail riding in our UTVs.  At the end of the day I broke a CV at the inboard end of the front axle. With all restrictions lifted we are going trail riding on Saturday and racing on Sunday so this weekend I replaced both front axles with after market ones.

I also replaced the brake pads and changed the oil in the front diff.

The most difficult bit was getting the broken axle out of the front diff. The spline of the CV is held in the diff with a split ring. Usually you just hail on the axle to pull the CV out of the diff. With the cage in the CV shattered the only thing connecting the the axle to the CV is the rubber boot. I cut the boot to free axle then careful levered between the CV and the diff to get it out.

Tools of the trade today.

Good job Rural -- CVs can be a pain every now and then. I once spent the better part of a morning trying to remove one that was stuck because the retaining clip was deformed. I took two of us prying evenly with large bars on each side to get it out.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1478 on: June 21, 2020, 07:15:19 PM »
I'm liking those long beam wrenches on the left. What are they?

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1479 on: June 22, 2020, 05:29:04 AM »
I'm liking those long beam wrenches on the left. What are they?

They are chrome vanadium flat long metric double ring spanners. They are Repco branded. Repco is one of the two main chain automotive parts stores in NZ (Supercheap Autos is the other). There is no COO marked on them. They are better quality than Chincom. The case is steel with high density foam insert. I've owned these for over five years and they get used quite a bit. They are useful in tight places where there isn't room to get a socket and power bar in. I've swung on them pretty hard at times and had them flex quite a bit, they are well made.  I suspect they are made in Taiwan.

Tonight after work I picked up my wheels from Jason, he swapped my 29" tyres off my factory RZR rims onto my new 2" offset rims for me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 05:34:16 AM by Rural53 »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1480 on: June 22, 2020, 09:02:05 AM »
Mowed/edged the yard, took the new HotRod for a spin, home washed it, put it up.

Got a new tool this week, it was a must. Car too low to use floor jack. Not happy with the idea of raising each side, placing stands. Over to the other repeating same.

Opted for plan B
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1481 on: June 22, 2020, 11:32:43 AM »

They are chrome vanadium flat long metric double ring spanners. They are Repco branded. Repco is one of the two main chain automotive parts stores in NZ (Supercheap Autos is the other). There is no COO marked on them. They are better quality than Chincom. The case is steel with high density foam insert. I've owned these for over five years and they get used quite a bit. They are useful in tight places where there isn't room to get a socket and power bar in. I've swung on them pretty hard at times and had them flex quite a bit, they are well made.  I suspect they are made in Taiwan.

Man, I've been wanting a set of those zero offset extra long metric DBE's since I first saw them. Nice!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1482 on: June 22, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
Well, it's that time of the year again. Time to shut down the evap cooler and start up the A/C, as monsoon season is getting close. Only this year I have an added wrinkle - there's a wasp nest in the roof top electrical box feeding the cooler. Plus, I'm not getting around as well as I have in the past so doing all the things needed can't be finished in one day. So, I'll have to split up the duties so as not to overtax myself. Plus confine my duties to the early morning hours as I don't like working in 108+ weather these days.
Tomorrow I'll prep the A/C condensing unit. Clean the weed growth around it, take the top off and clean out all the leaves and needles inside, then wash the coil. Hopefully there's no wasp nest in that control compartment. When complete I'll plug the disconnect block in and feed power to the crankcase heater. let it warm the oil in the compressor sump up so as not to cause freon slugging when I start it up.
Then when the humidity starts rising (typically around July 4th) I'll shut down the cooler. Drain the water, close it all up to keep wasps out of it, and switch the dampers.
Then the next day Ill turn power off to the rooftop panel and open it up and deal with the wasps. Hopefully most of the buggars will have grown and moved on, if not be spraying the inside with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. After that I'll take the front off of the panel, clean out any bug bodies, nesting material and other debris and rinse out the soap. Then once it dries reassemble and seal up the hole with hole plugs. Really hoping there's not alot of "residents" as I can't move quickly and trying to get off the roof quick could cause a fall. It sucks getting old!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1483 on: June 22, 2020, 11:54:01 AM »
Very nice wrenches Rural. In my humble opinion, they are definitely a "must have" for working on today's vehicles.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1484 on: June 22, 2020, 02:54:41 PM »
Very nice wrenches Rural. In my humble opinion, they are definitely a "must have" for working on today's vehicles.

Tru dat! I have a partial Utica set of those aerospace wrenches in SAE, and they really came in handy!