Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688662 times)

Offline Rural53

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1485 on: June 22, 2020, 07:19:53 PM »

Got a new tool this week, it was a must. Car too low to use floor jack. Not happy with the idea of raising each side, placing stands. Over to the other repeating same.

Opted for plan B

Now that is just cheating!!

Offline muddy

« Reply #1486 on: June 22, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »
I'm liking those long beam wrenches on the left. What are they?

They are chrome vanadium flat long metric double ring spanners. They are Repco branded. Repco is one of the two main chain automotive parts stores in NZ (Supercheap Autos is the other). There is no COO marked on them. They are better quality than Chincom. The case is steel with high density foam insert. I've owned these for over five years and they get used quite a bit. They are useful in tight places where there isn't room to get a socket and power bar in. I've swung on them pretty hard at times and had them flex quite a bit, they are well made.  I suspect they are made in Taiwan.

Tonight after work I picked up my wheels from Jason, he swapped my 29" tyres off my factory RZR rims onto my new 2" offset rims for me.

They look very similar to my Snap-On set. And yes they are worth the money.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #1487 on: June 22, 2020, 08:48:56 PM »
I have the snappys and it's insane how well they transmit as much torque as I can crank on them. I was sold on the style the first time I used one to break a 12pt u-joint strap bolt loose with one. I'd love the set that's fixed on one end for breaking things loose and ratchet on the other.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1488 on: June 24, 2020, 10:03:51 PM »
I'm having one of those weeks. Tuesday morning heading to work and ..click. batteries dead in the Ford. Well its under warranty so I take it to the dealer for replacement. of course they gotta keep it over night. No big deal I'll drive the farm truck. I get in it this afternoon to come home and.... click. Sumbitch that batterys dead too And it aint under warranty :41: :41:

Offline garagefanatic

« Reply #1489 on: June 25, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
I have the snappys and it's insane how well they transmit as much torque as I can crank on them. I was sold on the style the first time I used one to break a 12pt u-joint strap bolt loose with one. I'd love the set that's fixed on one end for breaking things loose and ratchet on the other.
I have the Gearwrench set that is fixed on one side and ratchet on the other. Just  search Gearwrench  XL wrenches on Amazon

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1490 on: June 25, 2020, 10:01:07 AM »
I'm having one of those weeks. Tuesday morning heading to work and ..click. batteries dead in the Ford. Well its under warranty so I take it to the dealer for replacement. of course they gotta keep it over night. No big deal I'll drive the farm truck. I get in it this afternoon to come home and.... click. Sumbitch that batterys dead too And it aint under warranty :41: :41:

I feel your pain. I've been having alot more car battery issues these past couple of years.

I remember a some years ago they closed down the last lead smelter in the country. I think it was in Mississippi? Lots of industry folks were forecasting lead shortages for ammo and batteries, but experts said they could recycle enough lead from whats already out there to keep battery manufacturers fed.

Ah, found the article!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/12/23/the-last-lead-smelter-in-the-us-closes-because-the-hippies-won/#52ac6b97642b

I wonder if recycled lead has impurities in it that shorten it's life in batteries compared to virgin lead? That plant closed in 2013 - and 7 years ago would be just about the time I noticed batteries starting to have shorter warranty's.  :38:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1491 on: June 25, 2020, 12:38:18 PM »
Went to Costco for the first time in over three months. Not a big overwhelming crowd, but they had limits on TP, paper towels, and certain meats. Place was stocked well, and the patrons and staff were on their best behavior.

Last time I was there it was “free for all” mess. Things might just be getting back to normal there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1492 on: June 28, 2020, 11:33:27 AM »
The dreaded "fight the wasps' day is here. Luckily, it looks like the nest was abandoned. I guess they build it and once the little stingers hatch they fly away? Great news in any case. I sealed up the box with metal tape, shut down the evap and prepped the A/C (over several days) and started her up. Man am I liking refrigerated air!   :great:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1493 on: June 28, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »
I've been running the AC here since April. I don't know how we survived without it.

The farm truck battery went out last week and it needed an oil change so into the shop with it. I also had about 3K miles on the trans rebuild and needed to tie up a few loose ends with it. Trans oil looked good very little dust on the bottom of the pan. the pressure temp sensor was replaced and the output shaft seal was replaced. even tho it had been replaced at rebuild along with the bushing it was leaking, so it got replaced. New battery installed. have to fabricobble a battery hold down.

Got 2 pounds of shrimp peeled, they gonna get fried for supper tonight. :dance: :dance:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1494 on: June 28, 2020, 04:24:57 PM »
I've been running the AC here since April. I don't know how we survived without it.

The farm truck battery went out last week and it needed an oil change so into the shop with it. I also had about 3K miles on the trans rebuild and needed to tie up a few loose ends with it. Trans oil looked good very little dust on the bottom of the pan. the pressure temp sensor was replaced and the output shaft seal was replaced. even tho it had been replaced at rebuild along with the bushing it was leaking, so it got replaced. New battery installed. have to fabricobble a battery hold down.

Got 2 pounds of shrimp peeled, they gonna get fried for supper tonight. :dance: :dance:

With relative humidities running below 15% (many days it''s in the single digits), my Hi-Efficiency MasterCool evap will drop the air temperature about 25-28 degrees. So, even at 105, the air coming out of the vents is 77-80. Not bad.
I've thought of building my own pre-cooler and mounting it on the cooler but being we don't run it constantly it wasn't worth it.
But the humidity has been rising (and the temps have not been dropping   :a102:  ), so I decided to switch over to the A/C. Normally I run the cooler from May 1st to July 4th - it saves electric dollars and I use the bleed-off water to water my bushes and trees. But this year with the wildfires and all the smoke some days we decided to switch over a little early and man is it nice!

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1495 on: June 28, 2020, 09:33:57 PM »
I had prepped parts for a bike rebuild all week and Sunday morn saw gold paint on the frame.  By 11 I was adjusting brakes and doing a full check.  At noon my sil received her new old bike with a big smile.    It looked decent again after 20  odd years on a porch in another city.
It ain't much but it is her bike she learned on so long ago.

Then I napped and puttered about the house the rest of the day.  Paint retouch is done again, yay!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:41:06 PM by strik9 »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1496 on: June 29, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »
Had a great weekend with family.  First, Saturday we celebrated my middle granddaughters 8th birthday and had a nice visit.  Sunday, we celebrated Fathers Day, youngest son's birthday.  Had a blast with the grandbabies in the pool.  The pool is the easiest place to have fun with them where they don't fight among themselves and drive me nuts. 

Ate too much sugar over the weekend and my right wrist and hand hurt all night last night.  Sugar really gets my joints inflamed.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1497 on: June 29, 2020, 08:24:14 PM »
Left Friday and came back Sunday on a motorcycle trip with family and friends. Put 1200 miles on the bike.

Went back to work today and got stuck working on a filthy sweeper truck from the foundry...... welcome back lol

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1498 on: June 30, 2020, 09:10:41 AM »
Darn Tim, that's a lot of miles in a weekend. 

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #1499 on: June 30, 2020, 06:57:05 PM »
"Darn Tim, that's a lot of miles in a weekend."

Not a long trip for me back in the day!
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk