Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688594 times)

Offline muddy

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1500 on: June 30, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »
Darn Tim, that's a lot of miles in a weekend.
Yeah my butt was sore lol

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #1501 on: July 01, 2020, 06:29:24 PM »
Thats a long ride on a cycle,  got every right to be sore.  My trip to minnesota was in a nice air conditioned vehicle.  It went like this, thurs was 500 miles, fri was 400 back home.  Sat, 200 to get the rental back.  Mon. 800 being a round trip to recover the truck.  And tuesday 100 to return the rental used to pull my trailer.  I got to say I wasnt worth much the rest of the week, no plans for a similar repeat trip. 

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1502 on: July 02, 2020, 04:48:19 AM »
Spent the day sitting in a classroom getting my temporary traffic management qualifications renewed. I have to do this every three years.
I got home to find the courier had delivered the t shirt I ordered on 20 April. I ordered it during lockdown so was conscious of ordering from somewhere where there was still airfreight coming from. All indications were it was coming from the US but when I finally chased up the order three weeks later and found the dispatch email it was coming out of Shanghai! Order was fulfilled in about five days, then the package sat in the international courier depot at Shanghai airport for nearly two months until some air cargo space was available. For some weird reason it then took ten days to get from Auckland to Tauranga.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #1503 on: July 02, 2020, 07:22:33 AM »
Bound to be a good day, finally caught the animal that has been trying to get to my wife's chickens.  Was a male raccoon, about 15 pounds, a big one.  Unfortunately he died of lead poisoning. :08:

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1504 on: July 02, 2020, 11:42:05 PM »
Frosty start to the day turned into a nice winters day.

On site at the passing lane I'm looking after the construction of.

New Cat, with zero hours on it, with mill head, to take the ATP (audio tactile pavement markings) off before sealing.

Because it is the first Friday of the month, bbq for lunch with the contactor.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1505 on: July 03, 2020, 07:38:42 AM »
Finished the under the hood clean up. Topped off with Roush CAI & soft tune have a look.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline walrus

« Reply #1506 on: July 03, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »
My Mustang has been driving me nuts. Cooling system issue, bubbling in overflow tank when I stop and let it idle after driving it. Not running bad, compression 135 to 150 on all cylinders. Doesn't seem to be burning antifreeze, not over heating from what I can tell. Put in Mechanical temp gauge to see how hot it is getting. 160 TStat, running around 160.  Finally got combustion gas in coolant tester.  Fluid changes color, tried it on my Ford tractor, fluid doesn't change color. Still didn't believe it, drove it hard one morning, back in shop. Let it sit for awhile, put tester on it again. Let it idle for awhile came back and it bubbling in tester. Fluid turned color.  System holds pressure when cool for days.  Screw it, pulled the heads off today. No smoking gun. WTF. The only thing I noticed was head bolts seemed awful loose to me. Was no issue getting them loose. Motor was rebuilt 30 years, less than 10000 miles. Valve covers are clean, no ridge , no sludge, all cylinders look the same, all plugs look the same except passenger side rear. That one looks leaner. Maybe its antifreeze in that cylinder but I can't see how its coming in. Going to put it back together with new gaskets and see what happens.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:13:37 PM by walrus »

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #1507 on: July 03, 2020, 05:28:18 PM »
Valve covers are clean, no ridge , no sludge, all cylinders look the same, all plugs look the same except passenger side rear. That one looks leaner. Maybe its antifreeze in that cylinder but I can't see how its coming in.

Might just be the picture but the top of that piston looks cleaner than the rest too.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1508 on: July 03, 2020, 05:36:12 PM »
Good luck Walrus, I hate not seeing the cause of a problem

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1509 on: July 03, 2020, 09:44:47 PM »
Pulled the top end for "Cooling system issue, bubbling in overflow tank when I stop and let it idle after driving it."

You're thinking it's combustion leak pushing past the head gasket.

Rear arrow looks like a combustion trace next to the water jacket, the others  also look like a combustion trace.

Head bolts loose, were they torqued after first heat cycle? Maybe get the head serviced, surface ground.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1510 on: July 03, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »
Picked up my father's boat that hasn't been in the water in probably 12 yrs. Looked it over should be good to go.

Taking the family to a local lake. PA has free fishing tomorrow (no license needed) it'll be Sam's first time on a boat.

Offline muddy

« Reply #1511 on: July 03, 2020, 09:52:19 PM »
Finished the under the hood clean up. Topped off with Roush CAI & soft tune have a look.
Look much better!

Offline muddy

« Reply #1512 on: July 03, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »
Pulled the top end for "Cooling system issue, bubbling in overflow tank when I stop and let it idle after driving it."

Rear arrow looks like a combustion trace next to the water jacket, the others  also look like a combustion trace.

Head bolts loose, were they torqued after first heat cycle? Maybe get the head serviced, surface ground.
Yep definitely getting combustion outside the chamber.

Offline walrus

« Reply #1513 on: July 04, 2020, 05:15:31 AM »

Thanks Pep and Muddy for weighing in , I will look closer at that. Motor was done long time ago so don't remember on retorque. It will this time. Using ARP head bolts also. Bolts seemed loose to me? 

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1514 on: July 04, 2020, 06:29:45 AM »
Look much better!

Yes & thanks, that pizza box was an eye sore