Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688671 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1545 on: July 14, 2020, 07:53:50 PM »
I bet that the Buck is more comfortable in the hand now and it looks great.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1546 on: July 18, 2020, 12:42:22 PM »
Helped blow insulation in a garage attic.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1547 on: July 18, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »
I bet that the Buck is more comfortable in the hand now and it looks great.
Thanks.
And yes it is, but even more so it's less awkward to carry on my hip.
I'm not a hunter ( not against it, just never been) ,so for me a belt knife is just a one handed blade when my smallish traditional pocke knives aren't enough.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline walrus

« Reply #1548 on: July 18, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »
Heads are back on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1549 on: July 18, 2020, 04:48:28 PM »
that makes my back ache just looking at the picture. I bet your glad that parts done.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1550 on: July 18, 2020, 04:53:43 PM »
I've been hauling some hay and ran across this in the back of an old fellows barn. Needless to say we did some trading, he got a cut on his hauling and I got me a new toy..

Offline walrus

« Reply #1551 on: July 18, 2020, 04:54:53 PM »
that makes my back ache just looking at the picture. I bet your glad that parts done.
Passenger side is easy even with exhaust manifold on it. Drivers side different story. Head pipe in way and rack and pinion also. Had to drop exhaust.  its still in one piece though as pipes wont come apart. Hopefully I can get donuts on and exhaust in place. Working with a lift makes it easier thats for sure. 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1552 on: July 18, 2020, 05:03:51 PM »
I forgot how tight those 390s were in a mustang. probably easier to install the manifolds on the heads then install the heads.. Just that much heavier.

Offline walrus

« Reply #1553 on: July 18, 2020, 05:07:49 PM »
I forgot how tight those 390s were in a mustang. probably easier to install the manifolds on the heads then install the heads.. Just that much heavier.
Thats how the Ford service manual says to take them off. exhaust stays on. Not sure you can get bolts out in car. Torquing lower head bolts was a pain. Tried to do it with just extension but unpossible :)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1554 on: July 18, 2020, 05:37:46 PM »
Thats how the Ford service manual says to take them off. exhaust stays on. Not sure you can get bolts out in car. Torquing lower head bolts was a pain. Tried to do it with just extension but unpossible :)

That's because they're made of unobtanium.  :D

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #1555 on: July 18, 2020, 07:31:18 PM »
My conex came to port via a 7 mile tow truck ride. Easiest 5200lbs I ever moved; hardly broke a sweat getting my checkbook out. $170 saved a lot of hassle vs trying to move it myself.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1556 on: July 19, 2020, 06:23:51 AM »
Got covered in dirt!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 06:26:01 AM by Rural53 »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1557 on: July 19, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
Gotta do the cabin air filter on the wife's car. Not the hardest thing to do but several sunbaked plastic panels have to come off to get to it, and they only get more brittle as the years go by.

I worked on my truck Thurs/Fri. Front grille and rear bumper cover are plastic, and just rot to heck in the AZ sun. Replaced the reap bumper cover once already - just doesn't last. So I've tried painting them, only catch is spray paint doesn't really like plastic. Found a specific mix some years ago - Krylon Fusion for Plastic - and it seems to hold up better. Not permanent - it still cracks and peels - but it does last alot longer than regular shaker can varieties. Heard they discontinued it, but just recently they brought it back. So tape up the rear end and remove the front end to get the painting done.
Side mirrors were also black plastic originally. Had to tape them off extensively to repaint them white. The cracking on the outer cover was beginning to worry me about losing the mirror if I hit a bad pothole and the whole assembly split. Dang sun is just brutal on plastic car parts.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:49:16 AM by bonneyman »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1558 on: July 19, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
plastic parts dont last long in south Texas either. My dash in the98 dodge is all but gone. I put a dash rug over it some years back but the plastic is breaking up still. driving down the road and having chunks of dash fall off onto the floor is kinda funny. My 98 GM was doing the same thing when I sold it but it stayed under the carport mostly and still it cracked up.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1559 on: July 19, 2020, 10:51:42 AM »
Yeah I've got a pre-made dash cover in the van but the plastic dash is still drying out/cracking. I used to use Armor All to help with the deterioration but I've since learned there's a solvent of some kind in AA and it accelerates breakdown. Heard that Aerospace protectant 303 is way better. haven't tried it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B00KN0UOEE

Also heard a car detailer's trick of using vaseline on external plastic parts. Shine lasts longer and it repels water.