Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688671 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1560 on: July 19, 2020, 01:44:07 PM »
I never do anything interesting,  you guys all definitely do some impressive more noteworthy stuff.
At most I work, tinker on some small random thing when I get home maybe make a knife sheath, and I mowe the lawn.

I can fix the odd thing here and there, but nothing impressive or noteworthy.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1561 on: July 19, 2020, 02:43:02 PM »
Don't sell yourself short. We all had to start somewhere.

I can fix most anything mechanical if I put my mind to it. I figure the guy(s) who built the thing had a brain and two hands, so, if they can build it I can fix it!  :great:

But computers? I'm below a noob. (But proud of it)! I can pull the plug out then replug it in. If that don't fix it it's off to the computer repair guy.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1562 on: July 19, 2020, 03:32:57 PM »
<snip>

... I figure the guy(s) who built the thing had a brain and two hands, so, if they can build it I can fix it!  :great:

<snip>

My first boss and mentor had a less elegant way of putting that but it has shaped my thinking ever since. He used to say if one guy can figure out how to do something another guy can figure out how he did it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1563 on: July 19, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »
I wasn't the only one eating dirt yesterday.

Offline walrus

« Reply #1564 on: July 19, 2020, 05:30:24 PM »
I never do anything interesting,  you guys all definitely do some impressive more noteworthy stuff.
At most I work, tinker on some small random thing when I get home maybe make a knife sheath, and I mowe the lawn.

Tons of companies are looking for apprentices in every trade out there. Get out of the house and apply for some jobs.

Offline walrus

« Reply #1565 on: July 19, 2020, 05:36:25 PM »
Got the engine back together. Started it up, runs fine but brand new Flow Kooler water pump leaks like a sieve. Picked up tools and shut the lights off   :41:

Its the back cover, bolts are loose. I can tighten some of them but not all. It has to come off, which means Power steering, alternator, fan(pain in the ass) ,  new gaskets. Should have checked them I guess but 110 dollar water pump shouldn't leak because some idiot didn't tighten cover bolts.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:37:57 PM by walrus »

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #1566 on: July 19, 2020, 05:39:51 PM »

A lot of us do, or did, this stuff on a professional basis. If working with your hands is what you enjoy get on a trade/technical career path.

While you might not be impressed by your projects someone interviewing for an apprentice position might be. Most of your peers can't even fix a fucking sandwich ::)

He used to say if one guy can figure out how to do something another guy can figure out how he did it.

That depends on the individual. Some can't comprehend what's being done even if they watch.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #1567 on: July 19, 2020, 06:28:25 PM »
Put the second new China crap fuel pump on my 1956 Mercury.  I put the last China crap fuel pump on two weeks ago and attempted to go to town.  The car ran fine for about 10 miles and just quit.  Didn't take long to figure out the China crap pump was not pumping.  Lets hope this pump is better.  Came from RockAuto and under warranty sent me another pump and paid all the shipping.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1568 on: July 19, 2020, 06:33:55 PM »

While you might not be impressed by your projects someone interviewing for an apprentice position might be. Most of your peers can't even fix a fucking sandwich ::)

Big 10-4! I submitted a resume and got a call back on it in 30 minutes. Seems something I said like "I like thinking outside the box to fix a problem" caught the interviewers attention more than my 30+ years of experience.  :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1569 on: July 19, 2020, 07:19:28 PM »
Got the engine back together. Started it up, runs fine but brand new Flow Kooler water pump leaks like a sieve. Picked up tools and shut the lights off   :41:

Its the back cover, bolts are loose. I can tighten some of them but not all. It has to come off, which means Power steering, alternator, fan(pain in the ass) ,  new gaskets. Should have checked them I guess but 110 dollar water pump shouldn't leak because some idiot didn't tighten cover bolts.

That sucks, I thought that stuff only happens to me.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1570 on: July 19, 2020, 07:23:19 PM »
Put the second new China crap fuel pump on my 1956 Mercury.  I put the last China crap fuel pump on two weeks ago and attempted to go to town.  The car ran fine for about 10 miles and just quit.  Didn't take long to figure out the China crap pump was not pumping.  Lets hope this pump is better.  Came from RockAuto and under warranty sent me another pump and paid all the shipping.
That sucks also! Are American made still available? Hope it’s at least easy to get to.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1571 on: July 19, 2020, 07:43:02 PM »

He used to say if one guy can figure out how to do something another guy can figure out how he did it.

That depends on the individual. Some can't comprehend what's being done even if they watch.

Very true. I took what he said to mean it was possible to figure it out, at least for some people, and he wanted me to learn to think and be one of those people. He was my mentor and he taught me well. As you say fixing a sandwich is beyond some people and some have to start threads about how to spread the condiments and complain the store doesn't have chipped ham (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiK1NbPy9rqAhXLGDQIHQcGDbYQFjAPegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.samsclub.com%2Fp%2Fisalys-chipped-chopped-ham-2lbs%2Fprod23033012&usg=AOvVaw3LZaQeoDmq43w9DPU6ZXY7).
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #1572 on: July 19, 2020, 08:37:47 PM »

FE in a mustang?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1573 on: July 19, 2020, 10:31:41 PM »

Yeah, and they all work at Subway! :91:

Offline walrus

« Reply #1574 on: July 20, 2020, 04:17:59 AM »

FE in a mustang?
Yes, 67 S code Mustang, 390, first year of a big block in a mustang.