Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688540 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1665 on: September 04, 2020, 08:00:47 AM »
Ag has come a long way in creature comforts in a century.  Didn't it used to be a pressed steel plate seat on a bar just behind the rear axle?
while i haven't spent much time on a pan seat lately i have spent a few hours on a thin pad over a steel box this summer.
Finishing the last few acres of wheat stubble on the second pass. I love auto steer!
Lazy flatlanders :))

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Haha, I often tell local farmers about sk's landscape.  From the rolling hills of Carroll County they can't imagine what it would be like to farm flat fields

every part of the world has its good and bad points. large flat fields allow large machinery to get a  lot done in a short time. the flip side is that when it gets wet, its all wet. drainage is difficult when you get 3 or more inches of rain and there isn't 3 inches of fall or slope in a mile. plus our heavy soils are slow to take moisture and slower to let it go. there are many times i wish i had some gently rolling ground.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #1666 on: September 04, 2020, 02:39:16 PM »
Do you find it difficult to keep the cup filled and not spilling when operating like that?

my coffee cup has a lid and the tractor has a couple cup  holders. the seat is a full air ride with vertical suspension and can be adjusted to move forward and backward as well as   side to side to smoothen bumps and jolts. it also rotates left or right to increase visibilty and prevent neck strain from looking towards the implement. it is quite comfortable.

I'll have to work on my humor a bit more. It was more about poking fun at the sideways picture (aka spilling your drink) because of driving sideways, vs the feet on the dash.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1667 on: September 04, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
Raided one of my contractor's pile of non compliant cones to take up to our race track.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1668 on: September 04, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »
Ag has come a long way in creature comforts in a century.  Didn't it used to be a pressed steel plate seat on a bar just behind the rear axle?
while i haven't spent much time on a pan seat lately i have spent a few hours on a thin pad over a steel box this summer.
Finishing the last few acres of wheat stubble on the second pass. I love auto steer!

Haha, I often tell local farmers about sk's landscape.  From the rolling hills of Carroll County they can't imagine what it would be like to farm flat fields

every part of the world has its good and bad points. large flat fields allow large machinery to get a  lot done in a short time. the flip side is that when it gets wet, its all wet. drainage is difficult when you get 3 or more inches of rain and there isn't 3 inches of fall or slope in a mile. plus our heavy soils are slow to take moisture and slower to let it go. there are many times i wish i had some gently rolling ground.

I always tell them about the drainage issue also.  I do enjoy learning about how folks do things differently in different parts of the world.  i find it fascinating

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #1669 on: September 04, 2020, 04:35:58 PM »
Raided one of my contractor's pile of non compliant cones to take up to our race track.
The H&S thing here is getting to be a bit over the top with BS I’m thinking !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1670 on: September 04, 2020, 05:35:15 PM »
The H&S thing here is getting to be a bit over the top with BS I’m thinking !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of these ones are definitely past their use by date. They have been used on sealing sites are covered in bitumen or have big cracks in them and all are very faded.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 05:37:50 PM by Rural53 »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1671 on: September 04, 2020, 08:34:51 PM »
The old worn out cones are the ones we use for traffic control. They're just gonna get run over and ruined anyway. People seem to view them as a target around here. Put 200 down at 0800 and go reset 75 of them by 0900. :021:

Offline muddy

« Reply #1672 on: September 04, 2020, 09:45:55 PM »

I'm a little young to work fields with a pan seat, but I have spent lots of hours on pad over a steel box holding a 6 volt battery and a suspension seat over top a power shift transmission.

Very true about the varying terrain. Often times after it rains with in a day or so we can find high ground to work.

Do you use much tile out there? Very popular in Ohio.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:47:38 PM by muddy »

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1673 on: September 05, 2020, 10:14:40 PM »
Today we went to drop the axle from a tractor that works a place for recycling car glass, typically the windshields with the plastic sheet.

And they can strip 90% of the glass off the sheet then chip the glass into sand sized chunks.

They even make their own heavy walled roll off containers as the glass cuts holes in thin steel with use.  The backhoe tractors have forklift type solid front tires, it seems pretty smart.

All in one small semi closed warehouse in the industrial park.

The next door neighbor is Saint Gobain auto glass which isn't a huge surprise.  Raw material mostly comes from them, only a small portion from outside sources.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1674 on: September 06, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »
We have been smoked out in our valley for about 3 weeks with smoke from the Calif fires. Yesterday the Creek Fire on the other side of the Sierras really smoked us out bad and the sky had an orange tint to it all afternoon. It is slightly better today but still pretty smoky but still makes it tough to do any work outside.

In the satellite picture of the smoke cloud, we are just east of the blue circle in the upper middle which is Lake Tahoe. Pretty amazing pictures of the pyrocumulonimbus cloud building over the fire.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/creek-fire-california-wildfire-smoke-plume-weather-pyrocumulonimbus-clouds
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:32:24 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1675 on: September 06, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »
It’s amazing how much that smoke can travel and not disperse.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline walrus

« Reply #1676 on: September 07, 2020, 05:47:54 AM »
That must suck. I can remember the smell of distant forest fires here in Maine. Not good for the lungs.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1677 on: September 07, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »
Went to the dirt track last night, paying for it this morning. between the dust and noise and frito pie, I feel like crap. Good racing tho. 200 cars 50+ were street stocks. 6 heats 2 B mains and a feature made for a long night. I left after the limited mods and big mods ran. they still had 2 mini sprint features to go but it was already midnite. Aint no spring chicken no more :lol_hitting:

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1678 on: September 07, 2020, 04:12:30 PM »
Went to the dirt track last night, paying for it this morning. between the dust and noise and frito pie, I feel like crap. Good racing tho. 200 cars 50+ were street stocks. 6 heats 2 B mains and a feature made for a long night. I left after the limited mods and big mods ran. they still had 2 mini sprint features to go but it was already midnite. Aint no spring chicken no more :lol_hitting:

Glad to hear some things are getting back to normal. Didn’t your mask filter all that crap out.   :)) :)) :lol_hitting:
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1679 on: September 07, 2020, 07:24:02 PM »
What mask 😜 probably 400 in attendance and maybe a dozen masks total. And 75% of those are prime candidates for the wuhan. I guess they immune to it. Racing fuel fumes might be the secret antidote. 😜😜